As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2000 Watt power supplies. Is there a point?

jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse.Registered User regular
I've been seeing previews for 2000 watt power supplies. Is there any point to them beyond geek cred? I would think even the most insane set up would not push a 1000 watt power supply to its limits. If it ever actually hit full load it would trip most home breakers. Even with a 20 Amp circuit you would only be left with 200 watts.

jackal on

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    jackal wrote: »
    I've been seeing previews for 2000 watt power supplies. Is there any point to them beyond geek cred? I would think even the most insane set up would not push a 1000 watt power supply to its limits. If it ever actually hit full load it would trip most home breakers. Even with a 20 Amp circuit you would only be left with 200 watts.

The outlet in your wall is only rated for 15 amps. That's for both plugs in the outlet.

So yes, it's just for the e-penis.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've been seeing previews for 2000 watt power supplies. [...]If it ever actually hit full load it would trip most home breakers. Even with a 20 Amp circuit you would only be left with 200 watts.

Are you sure about that? That is a 15/20 ampere circuit at 120 volts. The PSU should be able to output 2,000 watts, but how much current would it draw given that the power that it provides is at a much lower voltage than it gets from the outlet?

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    I've been seeing previews for 2000 watt power supplies. [...]If it ever actually hit full load it would trip most home breakers. Even with a 20 Amp circuit you would only be left with 200 watts.

Are you sure about that? That is a 15/20 ampere circuit at 120 volts. The PSU should be able to output 2,000 watts, but how much current would it draw given that the power that it provides is at a much lower voltage than it gets from the outlet?

Woops, I was thinking 110 instead of 120 for some reason. So you have 400 watts left, but the only 20 amp circuits in my house are in the bathrooms, kitchen and garage. A purpose built home office would probably have a 20 amp circuit, but the point stands that under full load it would either trip your breaker, or leave you without much power for other things.

Also the thing would be a damn space heater. Wouldn't dissipating 2000 watts even for a few minutes be difficult for just about any PC case?

[Edit] Evidently I got 110V because the voltage is 120V+- 5%, and resistance in your home wiring can potentially bring it down to 110V.

jackal on
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Since pretty much all commercial/home use power supplies at that rating are switch mode power supplies, the question is actually how efficient the power supply is - not what the input/output voltage ratio is. For a theoretically 100% efficient switch mode power supply, even if you were spitting out 400A at 5V (2kW output), you would draw 16.7A at 120V (2kW power input, assuming no harmonics, 1.0 displacement power factor).

In practice, most power supplies are nowhere near 100% efficient (perhaps 50-80% efficient, depending on load), and the current draw from the wall can be anywhere from 20.8A to over 30A at full rating.

Based on this, I doubt 2kW supplies are for home use - perhaps for some server farms?

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    eecc wrote: »

Since pretty much all commercial/home use power supplies at that rating are switch mode power supplies, the question is actually how efficient the power supply is - not what the input/output voltage ratio is. For a theoretically 100% efficient switch mode power supply, even if you were spitting out 400A at 5V (2kW output), you would draw 16.7A at 120V (2kW power input, assuming no harmonics, 1.0 displacement power factor).

In practice, most power supplies are nowhere near 100% efficient (perhaps 50-80% efficient, depending on load), and the current draw from the wall can be anywhere from 20.8A to over 30A at full rating.

Based on this, I doubt 2kW supplies are for home use - perhaps for some server farms?

Nope, it is ATX.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/05/ultra-products-unveils-2000-watt-x3-atx-power-supply/

jackal on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    aren't most standard outlets only able to handle something like 1850 watts?

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Guys, you're missing an important point.

PSUs are NOT 100% efficient.

They are frequently around 60% to 70% efficient.

So if it can provide 2000 W, it's going to require a hell of a lot more than that.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Nope, it is ATX.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/05/ultra-products-unveils-2000-watt-x3-atx-power-supply/

"ATX" is a specification from Intel - you can download the latest version here. It only states what characteristics a power supply needs to show to be able to call itself an "ATX" power supply - it doesn't actually say how a power supply should be implemented to meet those specifications.

A "switched mode power supply" is the most common implementation for "ATX" power supplies. As far as I know, all "ATX" power supplies are currently implemented as switched mode power supplies.

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Nope, it is ATX.

"ATX" is a specification from Intel - you can download the latest version here. It only states what characteristics a power supply needs to show to be able to call itself an "ATX" power supply - it doesn't actually say how a power supply should be implemented to meet those specifications.

A "switched mode power supply" is the most common implementation for "ATX" power supplies. As far as I know, all "ATX" power supplies are currently implemented as switched mode power supplies.

That was in response to, "perhaps for some server farms."

jackal on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    the point is that you can play computer games and sear a steak on your computer case at the same time without having to get up

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That was in response to, "perhaps for some server farms."

Ha, my mistake. Sorry.

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    prawnstar69prawnstar69 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I dread to think of the electricity bill you would get from having a 2kW PSU on 24/7.

Sounds pretty pointless at the minute, other than for bragging rights.

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I dread to think of the electricity bill you would get from having a 2kW PSU on 24/7.

Look, my power bill was bigger than yours!

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Just install some solar panels to off set the energy usage.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

It would only matter if you were actually drawing 2000W on it - if you had a system that only drew 500W, it would only require that much power + inefficiency factor.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarennaKarenna Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

At my kW/Hr rate in the winter, it would be just over $100/mo to run that bastard at full load.

Man, I have 4 comps I typically run 24/7, all around 500W...I needs to start turning shit off when I'm not using it I guess D:

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Karenna wrote: »

At my kW/Hr rate in the winter, it would be just over $100/mo to run that bastard at full load.

Man, I have 4 comps I typically run 24/7, all around 500W...I needs to start turning shit off when I'm not using it I guess D:
    A hundred dollars? Where do you live?

Azio on
  • Options
    KarennaKarenna Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Azio wrote: »

The average kW/hr across the US was 8 cents in 2005. Right now in NYC I've heard of 15 cents. I live outside of DC, in VA, so I pay 7 cents.

Thus, running that 2000w PSU 24/7 (at full load) would cost me $3.36/day, or $100.80 per month.
    That's below the National average!

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ya, I've really started to make sure I turn my machines off when I'm not at home for that reason. the only machine I keep running 24/7 now is my server.

if I can even shave 30% off the cost of it, that really helps.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Azio wrote: »

The average kW/hr across the US was 8 cents in 2005. Right now in NYC I've heard of 15 cents. I live outside of DC, in VA, so I pay 7 cents.

Thus, running that 2000w PSU 24/7 (at full load) would cost me $3.36/day, or $100.80 per month.
    That's below the National average!

It's not 100% efficient and the national average is 8.9/kwh with 20.72/wkh being the highest. To keep from popping the circuit breaker it would have to be better than 84% efficient at 100% load. A good many of the 80plus psus are barely over 80% for the full load rating. Chances are you'd trip the breaker or burn your house down (old wiring) if you ran that thing at full load for any length of time.

stigweard on