As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help me with this HDTV model!

Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
OK, so I think I've settled on a television to buy. It's the Sony Bravia KDL32ML130. Now, not a lot of people have jumped for this television because apparently it is a Target exclusive model. It is a pretty sweet deal, especially after my employee discount.

Like any well informed consumer, I tried to get some reviews on the web. Slim results there. Luckily, AVSForums.com had a small thread on it, in which someone complained that for some unknown reason, Halo 3 was susceptible to input lag, while other games like BioShock ran perfectly.

Anyways, I see that as a pretty big problem, and no one else there was able to answer the guys' remark. So now I am basically like D: about this model TV. Standard definition content is important to me, as well as XBOX360 gaming. Can anyone else comment about this strange phenomenon, and if it even exists? I'd like to know now if I should pass so I can look into similarly priced Samsungs. Though I doubt I'll be able to find a 32" Samsung for under 800 dollars.

Thanks for your input in advance, guys.

sci+fi+wasabi.png
Sci-Fi Wasabi on

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Never heard of your issue before. However, I found a 32 inch Samsung in literally 3 seconds for $799.99.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8423903&type=product&id=1181832388132

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • kathoskathos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I didn't want to make a brand new topic for this, but is a tube TV better than an LCD? I'm hearing different things from different places is why.

kathos on
    Brlito.png
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    kathos wrote: »
    I didn't want to make a brand new topic for this, but is a tube TV better than an LCD? I'm hearing different things from different places is why.

Nothing will ever look better than a tube tv. I've got a 60 inch hd Sony rear projection SXRD (with 7ms upconversion lag, OP), but I still think the colors are more true and the blacks more rich on my SD Sony tube. If you have the space, and the size is big enough, a glass tube is the best.

A friend of mine had that 40" HD tube Sony made for a few years. At $4000 brand new, I still think it is the finest TV ever made.

LaPuzza on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    kathos wrote: »
    is a tube TV better than an LCD?
    I have a tube HDTV, and it is quite nice. It was also quite expensive, and it is also very, very heavy. With the increasing quality and dropping prices of flat panel TVs, I think the disadvantages of CRTs (size, weight, cost) make them an unattractive buy. If you buy a CRT HDTV over a flat panel for the small to moderate increase in quality, and you have to move that TV even once, trust me, you will rue the day you made that choice. I'm happy with my CRT HDTV because it was by far the standout choice at the time I bought it. If I were in the same buying position today, I'd be choosing a flat panel without question. The technology has simply moved beyond CRT, you'd have a hell of a time even finding a CRT HDTV new with a warranty these days.
    LaPuzza wrote:
    I've got a 60 inch hd Sony rear projection SXRD (with 7ms upconversion lag, OP), but I still think the colors are more true and the blacks more rich on my SD Sony tube.
    Yeah, of course colors and black levels look nicer on your SD tube, you're comparing it to a rear projection TV. Rear projection is notorious for having trouble producing deep blacks and rich colors. That's part of the reason why rear projection TVs are always cheaper than flat panels of the same size. Most LCDs will also have trouble matching a CRT's black level, but it's nowhere near as bad as with a rear projection TV, and washed-out colors shouldn't be an issue with a quality modern LCD. As for plasma, my stepfather has a 50" plasma flatscreen that I would happily take over a tube TV any day. Really, if you want "CRT-like" black levels, that's what you buy these days: a plasma TV. Today, I could buy a 50" plasma for what I payed for my 34" HDTV CRT several years ago. CRT is dead technology.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • focused7focused7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    We bought this model (KDL32ML130) about 3 weeks ago and can't say I've seen any of the lag this guy mentioned. I have been nothing but happy with the picture quality and performance. Halo, COD4 and all the other games I've played have looked fantastic on it.

Couple things I didn't like were the long setup time for it to auto-tune and only supports PIP with the VGA connection.

edit: oh yeah and using the HDMI input from the 360 if I left it set to optimal on the display I got a line of paler pixels on the far left side of the monitor. If I set it manually to 720p or 1080i the line went way.

focused7 on