As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HDD dying, can't boot from XP Disc

TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I get to work today to find that one of our computers was having trouble. I go check it out, and it just can't get past the attempting to load profiles stage of logging in. I manage to get in in Safe mode finally, and then try to find out what the problem was. I check the event log, and it says the HDD has bad blocks. So I load the ol' recovery console and try a chkdsk /f. This goes for about 40 minutes and finally finishes saying there were some unrecoverable errors. I try and boot it up again to see if it managed to fix anything, only now it doesn't even get to the welcome screen, and just says the boot.ini is bad.

No biggie right? Just recovery console, fixboot. Should do the trick.
It said it did the trick. But then I tried to boot and it blue screened with an Unmountable_boot_volume message.
So I get the SeaTools boot disc out, boot it, scan it, it finds about 80 bad blocks. It repairs them, and then said it passed the test after repair. Now, it tries to load windows, it gets the beginning of the loading screen then resets.
And it won't boot of the XP OS disc anymore. It gets to the inspect configuration and the screen goes black.

I'd love to be able to get this thing working again, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to. Is there any way to get this thing bootable? We have a tape backup, but this computer is backed up on Thursday, so even with a new HDD (this is fortunately under warranty still) it'd be missing 3 days of work. Would it be possible to put this drive in another machine and pull the data off, or will it's worsening state have rendered this unfeasible? SeaTools still boots and says theres about 80-90 bad blocks, which out of 160 million isn't too bad, unless those are all in very important places. Though block numbers appear to be contiguous.

steam_sig.png
Tofystedeth on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Unmountable_boot_volume usually means it's toast, and chances of getting it back are pretty slim. Have you tried running TuffTest? I use that to test out my HDDs. I'm not a big fan of the SeaTools software myself.

Or try loading it up with Knoppix (linux) and see if you can see any of the data on the HDD.

urahonky on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    And it won't boot of the XP OS disc anymore. It gets to the inspect configuration and the screen goes black.
    This sounds like more than a dead hard disk to me. If it was just the hard disk, the XP OS disc might complain that it had no valid volume to install Window onto, but it shouldn't hang. You could try disconnecting your hard drive and then booting from CD. If the XP disc hangs in the same place, you know something else is wrong with your computer (maybe bad motherboard, bad RAM, bad CPU, hard to say).

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer