As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hard Drive Spins Down Randomly

SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
Okay, so this has really been pissing me off recently. I'm running Vista HP 32, and my secondary drive keeps spinning down randomly after just a few minutes. I know it's not a hardware thing, because this problem doesn't exist in linux.

It's super annoying because the system will hang up for two seconds or so when I need a file from that drive while it spins back up, not to mention the damage it's doing to the drive.

After tons and tons of googling I've only found two options: turn off the power management of hard disks (I think this works, but I would like them to turn off after 30 minutes or so), or remove this one specific update. Which I did, and it seemed to work until the next time I turned my system on.

Do you guys know any way to fix this bullshit?

Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
kavinskysig.gif
Sushisource on

• Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That's exactly what it is, Power Management. I just set power management to never turn off my Hard Disks.

But yeah, it's enabled to like 15 minutes I think by default.

Setting it to 30 minutes doesn't work?

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Nope. Setting it to 30 seems to do nothing. It'll still spin down at random, from 30 seconds after access time, to 5 minutes. It's wonky.

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I ran across this problem earlier running vista 32-bit business, and I've even had this occur while loading area data (reading from the HD) just running across zones in City of Heroes; the only long term fix I've come across is to disable the hard disk power management settings entirely like you found.

I just found it amusing that this always seemed to happen in the middle of disk accesses...you would think that they would reset the power management timers on IO interrupts, but that's MS for ya.

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It's really the only significant problem I've had with vista. It's so strange too. Ah well, thanks anyways guys.

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif