As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dirty bathroom. OF DOOM

NatanekoNataneko Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
so, I live in a house, with my parents and brother. for many many reason (them being friggin dirty hobo, me growing tired of people not caring at all) the toilet is now a dangerous zone. there are hole in several walls, mold pretty much everywhere, the floor is disgusting, all that. You know that disgusting toilet in trainspotting that's "the worst toilet in scotland"? well I'm pretty sure mine is the worst in Canada.bMy plan would be change the floor, change the bath, change the toilet, destroy wall, rebuild wall, change everything! but for some reason, my dad think it's a luxury.

So, H/A people, what can I do? Short of burning the place down. or moving. cause I don't have enough money.

Nataneko on

• Options
    tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Talk to your parents about it

or

buy some cleaning supplies and start cleaning what you can

tracertong on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Before you start destroying and uprooting anything in the restroom, you might want to see what is salvagable. Give it a good hard scrubbing on everything. Suit up with clothes you probably wouldn't mind having bleach stains on them, grab a make-shift face mask, and get to hard scrubbing.

The wall mold may be faulty plumbing. Most likely there are water pipes behind the drywall that are either badly positioned (like right next to a 2x4 so that it soaks up moisture and then creates wall mold) or leaking. Whether you want to undertake this as a group project or alone, I suggest getting someone with some sort of know-how on carpenting to give the bathroom a run down. Toilets area easily replaceable. A few tools and some of that industrial grease sealant thing (dunno the name of it offhand).

Replacing a bathtub depends on the situation. If it is a free-standing bathtub (that is, not attached to the wall) then you could replace it with a newer one. If it is attached to a wall or in a corner in itself, perhaps retiling and/or replacing the water fixtures in it could help the problem.

If the floor is linonium, you can peel it away with a shovel and grab some new linonium and glue it down.
    If the floor is tile, the re-tiling is a pain in the ass and I advise against it unless you have the proper tools.

If you plan on really re-doing the bathroom entirely, make sure the water is shut off before undertaking anything.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Honestly, don't bother putting any money into it. Just do your best to clean what you can and start saving money to GTFO.

If your family is that messy, you cleaning this and putting money into it is just going to involve them messing it up again.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That's what I was gonna say. Move out. Let them live in squalor if they want to.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils