As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Car audio - feedback/vibration(?) driving me insane

GameHatGameHat Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I know like jack and shit about car audio, so be kind, please.

Back in the day, I had a Camry with shitty factory standard speakers and audio.

It would drive me nuts how certain CDs would cause...I don't know if I'm describing it correctly...feedback? Vibration? There were certain pitch ranges that would seem to cause this horrible vibration. Wrecked the experience. The pitch ranges were in the mid to low range. Figured I had damaged them or something with volume (I'm not crazy about volume, but I did play CDs loud on occasion.)

A little more than a year ago, I bought a new Mustang. Still factory standard speakers and audio since I couldn't (and still really can't) afford better.

ARGH - almost the exact same problem. Certain tracks cause this awful vibration that wrecks (IMO) the sound. One track that to me is almost unlistenable in the car is Ratatat's Kennedy off their "Classics" album. There's so much speaker vibration/distortion that it's not worth it. A pity, since I really like that song.

Always seems strange to me, since I have cheap but decent headphones and speakers at home and NEVER experience this.

My questions?

1) What precisely is the cause for this?

2) Is there a fix that doesn't involve too much expenditure?

3) If I come into some money and can get a new car audio system - what do I look for to ensure I avoid this? I'm not a bass whore, and I don't typically play music so loud as to damage speakers (I think). I just really want some clean audio while I'm driving around!

GameHat on

• Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is your bass turned up max?

meeker on
  • Options
    GameHatGameHat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    meeker wrote: »
    Is your bass turned up max?

Nope

GameHat on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It could simply be the original CD recording session. In the digital age while recording you can do what's called "digital overloading" in which you simply ran out of headroom wile recording... resulting in a sound very similar to what you are describing. Car stereos amplify this phenomenon.

Kid Rock's album (the one with cowboy and I am a Bullgod) and the newest Tool albums are known to be particularly bad about this.

One way to check if it's the cd (besides playing other cds over and over) is to listen ONLY to the radio for a couple days. If you don't notice it on the radio it's that issue. Radio stations use a combination of limiters and compressors to prevent that nasty overloading sound out.

useless4 on