As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Raid thread - Elune needs more QQ and less Pew Pew

FodderFodder Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
I hear that those tears sustain the forum trolls and raiders!

So my raid group went into SSC for mostly the first time this week, killed hydross on the third attempt, lurker on the second, and got in 4 tries on tidewalker before calling it today. It seemed pretty productive and I think we've got the general strategy down, and just got a bit unlucky with who got watery graves. Unfortunately, it looks like I had the wrong idol on for most of the night, whooooooooooooops!

Go on, talk about all of your fancy hyjal and BT bosses now.

steam_sig.png
Fodder on

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    We're doing better on Netherspite these days. Took him down to 50% by the end of two banishes. Then someone misses their green beam assignment and he refills to 75%. Some people die and we kill him anyway.

And yet he refuses to drop the one single drop I have left to need from Karazhan.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    mirarantmirarant Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Teron sure has a lot of trash, most of it is trivial but it's still time consuming.

Also people who lie about how they died (and subsequently wiped the raid) on the most recent Archimonde wipe are funny, do they not know about Recount, Assessment etc ?

mirarant on
  • Options
    ClaymanClayman Don't be a baked potato. Be a person. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    In one and a half week we've killed Magtheridon (Jim) twice, Hydross twice, Lurker twice and Morogrim Crotchweel once and we'd never set foot in Magtheridon's lair nor SSC before that.

I think the other guilds on horde side are getting scared. :D

Clayman on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Not to rain on your parade, but I don't think they are ;)

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    KartanKartan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Clayman wrote: »
    In one and a half week we've killed Magtheridon (Jim) twice, Hydross twice, Lurker twice and Morogrim Crotchweel once and we'd never set foot in Magtheridon's lair nor SSC before that.

I think the other guilds on horde side are getting scared. :D

if you can keep up that pace until the middle of Hyjal then yes. Until then, no.

Kartan on
  • Options
    ClaymanClayman Don't be a baked potato. Be a person. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The number one guild on horde side is working on Illdian. Number two is stuck on Kael and they've been stuck there for weeks.

Clayman on
  • Options
    NezzarNezzar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Kael'Thas seems to be quite the bitch, though. I've read the strat on him on bosskillers the other day. And man does that fight require micromanagement or what? Especially after the part in which you looted the legendaries. No other fight I've read up on seems that hard. Seems like the smallest error will cause a wipe.

Edit: Yeh, I'm such a loser that I read up on bosses before I'm even remotely able to kill them.

Nezzar on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    Both Vashj and Kael seem pretty crazy.

Can't wait to try 'em.

Echo on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Clayman wrote: »
    The number one guild on horde side is working on Illdian. Number two is stuck on Kael and they've been stuck there for weeks.

Kael and Vashj are both cockblock fights that are easy to get bogged down in.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Kael is extremely fun in theory, but in practice it's designed to fester your hatred of humanity. (Much like Archimonde) Vashj I got very little experience with, only killed 3x (if we do SSC, it's usually mondays when I don't play), and seems a lot less complex, and a bit more forgiving then Kael.

Illidan relies for 50% on your phase2 tanks, 25% on the phase2 healers, and the rest of it on your MT shield blocking, people knowing where to stand when, DPS down the demons smartly. It's fun to learn, but once you got it done twice it's pretty much smooth sailing. Also, past phase 2 you can suffer a few deaths with almost no consequences (Unlike Kael, where only in phase4 you can really afford deaths, Vashj, where the DPS check is stringent enough to not allow much space, or Archimonde, where 1 death = 1 wipe when you start on him).

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    NezzarNezzar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    SanderJK wrote: »
    people knowing where to stand when
    This worries me, seeing as "OMG GET IN THE WATER" seems to be really tough for some people in my raid :/

Nezzar on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    mirarant wrote: »
    Teron sure has a lot of trash, most of it is trivial but it's still time consuming.

Also people who lie about how they died (and subsequently wiped the raid) on the most recent Archimonde wipe are funny, do they not know about Recount, Assessment etc ?

Yeah I hate those people. Last night we brought too many recruits to Kael and our regular raiders were acting like retards too, and the GM was like "If you don't think I can see you fucking up, you're wrong! I'm always watching!" It was sort of creepy but also hilarious. It's probably true though, as his job is to heal me while tanking Capernian, so he just has to keep hitting the Holy Light key and watch everyone else run around.

Not to rain on your parade, but I don't think they are ;)

This is true. Not that it isn't cool but a guild starting now versus a guild that's been doing 25-mans all along are in very different situations, between all the attunement changes, the Great Kara Epics Buff of a few months back, a lot of trash nerfs, class buffs, heroic and arena welfare epics, etc. It was all meant to help people get through SSC/TK faster.

riz on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    riz wrote: »
    Yeah I hate those people. Last night we brought too many recruits to Kael and our regular raiders were acting like retards too, and the GM was like "If you don't think I can see you fucking up, you're wrong! I'm always watching!" It was sort of creepy but also hilarious. It's probably true though, as his job is to heal me while tanking Capernian, so he just has to keep hitting the Holy Light key and watch everyone else run around.

BigBrother is a great mod. It shows exactly who broke CC with what. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Did our first tries on Hax Lord tonight. Got him to 32% on the last and best try.

Echo on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    riz wrote: »

BigBrother is a great mod. It shows exactly who broke CC with what. :P

If it had it's own little window somewhere I'd consider using it. But watching riz's screen on SSC trash makes me D: at all the chatlog spam.

exis on
  • Options
    Viper007BondViper007Bond Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Both Vashj and Kael seem pretty crazy.

Can't wait to try 'em.
    Vashj isn't that bad, Kael is kinda bitch, but once you figure him out, it's instantly easy.

Viper007Bond on
    [Sig removed for breaking the h-scroll. -Bogey]
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Vashj is still the most fun I've had in a 25 man raid.

It's definitely a wakeup call, though, after killing various bosses in SSC/TK for a few months. Oh shit guys this got hard really fast.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    a penguin wrote: »
    Do your tanks really need 18k HP buffed for the Lynx boss? That sounds ridiculous, but then again he did rip through our tanks like they were made of paper. I wasn't there, but I assumed they just weren't handling the tanking properly.

His Saber Lash does about 18k damage, divided between two targets. So expect your MT to take 9k damage and then have him go frenzy on his ass and another 5-6k in as many seconds.

Echo on
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    my favorite part about healing bear is when the tank goes from full health to dead in the span of a silence, or my even better, in the cast time of a flash of light.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    yay raid thread.

Ok, that's what I thought. That number came from WoWWiki, which I do not take as Gospel. I knew about the damage being split up, I was just confused as to why they would still say that tehy need 18k HP.

They're more in the range of 15-16k.

Thanks!

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    We tried Malacrass for the first time last night.

Ow my pants

What a shitty fight unless you stack the raid for that fight. That's what I hate about 10-mans: until you outgear stuff there are fights where you need to stack classes.

Echo on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Vashj is still the most fun I've had in a 25 man raid.

It's definitely a wakeup call, though, after killing various bosses in SSC/TK for a few months. Oh shit guys this got hard really fast.

I dono, I think Vashj is a fairly easy fight if you arent a complete idiot. The fight is really more about seeing who can/can't pull their own weight, and how a small mess up can screw up the entire attempt. That and not freaking out when you have a tainted core/stage 3 starts.

An example is the strider kiting. The warlock we had doing it was dying every attempt. Switched to another warlock, he didn't die until we killed her.

Tainteds were constantly despawning on the west side, we switched the DPS around on that side and they never missed another one.
    a penguin wrote:
    Do your tanks really need 18k HP buffed for the Lynx boss? That sounds ridiculous, but then again he did rip through our tanks like they were made of paper. I wasn't there, but I assumed they just weren't handling the tanking properly.

His Saber Lash does about 18k damage, divided between two targets. So expect your MT to take 9k damage and then have him go frenzy on his ass and another 5-6k in as many seconds.

Yeah, Lynx is a badass when it comes to dishing out the damage.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    a penguin wrote: »
    Ok, that's what I thought. That number came from WoWWiki, which I do not take as Gospel. I knew about the damage being split up, I was just confused as to why they would still say that tehy need 18k HP.

A few weeks back we had a nice bug where both tanks ran in at once, yet the MT took the full Lash. It was pretty much "Pulling... OK, I'm dead." :P

The healers were all going "What the hell?" at his health that went from full to dead instantly.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    We tried Malacrass for the first time last night.

Ow my pants

What a shitty fight unless you stack the raid for that fight. That's what I hate about 10-mans: until you outgear stuff there are fights where you need to stack classes.

Malacress is my least favorite fight in that dungeon, because you rock through the first 4 bosses and then see that he has A, B, C and D adds, and you're like oh. Now we need to find a warlock. Or a mage. Or a hunter. Great. Sorry guy, you're gonna have to sit this one out.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah. We got snake, ogre, imp, ghoul. We had two warlocks and a priest, so we banished imp, chainfeared ogre and banished ghoul while killing the snake.

Our best try got Hax Lord to 32%. Would have been tons easier if we only had a mage we could swap in to poly the ogre.

Echo on
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    (Moved from the Rogue thread)

Alright you math geniuses I need some help. I got schooled on the meters last night by another Rogue on Vashj, and i'm getting some flak for it. After looking at this WWS sheet, i'm trying to find out what he did differently to pull so far ahead. The only thing I'm seeing is a lot more of his hits landed, which is leading me to believe it was a gear issue. The fact he outgears me, and has a ton more hit may have attributed to being blown out of the water. The frustrating thing though is that there is another Rogue who is geared better than this guy, but I'm able to keep up with that Rogue pretty well.

I had more SnD's, more Ruptures. I just don't understand what is causing this massive difference in output. Also, I got Static Charge twice, once I CloS'd it immediately, and the second time CloS was down and I had to sit out for awhile. I figured that had something to do with it since I had to sit off with my thumb up my ass for 10+ seconds while everyone else got to DPS. Looking at WWS though the DPS time % seems to counter that reasoning. Also, I was pulling off with Snakefu to DPS elementals that were getting too close to Vashj while he stayed on the Naga's 100% of the time, maybe that could have affected it as well.

Can one of you take a look at this and see where the discrepancy lies? I haven't had too much experience with WWS and I can't let this happen again, Rogue spots are very hard to come by and I'm scared of losing mine.

http://wowwebstats.com/6kxzwyuldkwas?s=9655-10255&m

Gannonthorpe is the Rogue(#1) on there, I am Slaide(#3) on the charts.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Throwing out your number three DPSer is always dumb....but just glancing at the numbers, his crit rate seems much higher (10%) combined with 5% more hits along with slightly higher damage per hit. It looks like where he beat you was really just white damage.

[edit:] It also looks like he got much more use of relentless strikes then you did as well.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Which brings me back to my original assumption of him having around 75 or more +hit than me. Thanks for taking the time to check that out.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It's a gear thing plain and simple. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    One other thing I noticed just now, he had 2 poisons on his weapons, and I left my MH unpoisoned for windfury procs. After scouring the log, I'm not seeing a single windfury proc.

Is that something WWS doesn't show?

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    One other thing I noticed just now, he had 2 poisons on his weapons, and I left my MH unpoisoned for windfury procs. After scouring the log, I'm not seeing a single windfury proc.

Is that something WWS doesn't show?

I don't think it shows the totem correctly at the moment, just the Shaman self buff.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ahhh

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Does it completely disregard windfury procs, or just add them in as another white attack?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    Does it completely disregard windfury procs, or just add them in as another white attack?

It's showing them as another white attack I believe or so the thread in the general section of the WWS forums leads me to belive.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    For a non-shaman getting it from a totem, I think it'd be in the buff section, "1 extra attack through Windfury Attack."

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It's not showing there. Under buffs it just shows up under Snakefu (the Shaman who cast it).

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I filtered one of the sections to show only attacks that hit Vashj, and noticed that you're getting alot of glancing blows and straight up misses. Getting some more +hit will fix this issue and up your DPS/overall damage.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah i've been stacking pure +hit basically for awhile now, but am still woefully behind what I should be at for the content i'm participating in.

Right now my hit rating is acceptable for Kara/Mag/Gruul like stuff, not SSC/TK.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    mirarantmirarant Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    3 hours of solid wiping on Archimonde, best try to 25%. I so hate that stupid fucking shadow priest who can't click his tears.

mirarant on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Man did we wipe on Karathress. But that was kind of expected -- we can't really keep on killing one new boss on every raid, we'd hit a gear block eventually. And Karathress was it. Well, some more gearing up on Hydross/Lurker/Morogrim as well as A'lar and Void Reaver (we haven't been to TK yet) and we should solve that particular hurdle.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.