As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of Blueteeth and headsets

JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
Not really sure if this should be in H/A, but anyway...

So I've been looking for a new phone/entertainment device/gadget.

The most feature packed one I could find was the HTC Advantage X7500. (http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_advantage_x7500-1887.php). However, it has one big annoyance, in that it doesn't have a headset speaker, so you can't just hold it up to your head and make a call.

I don't want to carry around another phone just for calls, and I don't like having to keep a wired headset constantly attached to it, so I'm now looking at Bluetooth headsets. And being a bit of a newb, I need some recommendations and answers.

- Can I have the headset handle calls totally? Like keep it on constantly, and then when the phone vibrates, use it to answer the call? Or even have the headset vibrate>

- Can I use the headset to listen to music/movies? What sort of battery life can I get out of it?

- What about using to make calls? Voice dialling etc.

Any specific brand recommendations would be good too.

JohnDoe on

• Options
    Radioactive HamsterRadioactive Hamster Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I picked up the Motopure H12 the other day after returning a Motorola H371. The H371 was comfortable and had a decent button layout but outgoing call quality was bad. The H12 improves on all of that offering a similar form factor, replacing the power button with a switch, and including a travel case/charger as well as a desktop dock both of which are powered by MicroUSB. I can usually get about 4-5 hours of talk time and it does support voice dialing although I haven't tried that feature yet. It also sounds worlds better than the H371. Two other headsets worth looking into are the Aliph Jawbone which reportedly has much better noise canceling than the H12 and the Plantronics Voyager 520.

Radioactive Hamster on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm actually looking for a good bluetooth headset as well, but for an iPhone.

The Jawbone's seem really cool, but I haven't gotten a chance to look around for any reviews. The one thing I've pretty much been consistently told everywhere I've looked is that the devices (iPhone, other phone, whatever) won't play the audio from a movie, or a music player over the headset... which sucks. Means I'd have to keep a wired headphone/mic solution around or just not listen to any of the media on my phone. :(

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

The Jawbone's seem really cool, but I haven't gotten a chance to look around for any reviews. The one thing I've pretty much been consistently told everywhere I've looked is that the devices (iPhone, other phone, whatever) won't play the audio from a movie, or a music player over the headset... which sucks. Means I'd have to keep a wired headphone/mic solution around or just not listen to any of the media on my phone. :(

That sucks :/ You should be able to at least get a crappy signal over to the headset.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

Most of the HTC WM6-based devices support A2DP (including the Advantage, which is a BEAST, btw). So, if you get a stereo bluetooth headset you'll be able to listen to all your on-device audio / video and still use the same headset to answer calls. They are typically not as "sleek" as the "call only" devices but they do serve both purposes quite effectively. Most of them also include AVRCP Support as well as displays to show song names / caller id / etc.

FYI: http://www.xda-developers.com is THE place to go for information about the HTC devices.

Kendrik on
    steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    That sucks :/ You should be able to at least get a crappy signal over to the headset.

On some WM6 devices, you can. Theres a software called btaudio that allows you to toggle ALL audio from the device to a standard "Handsfree" profile bluetooth headset. Audio quality will be much lower, but if you're just looking for some background music across your Jawbone, it works great.

Kendrik on
    steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984