As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

To forget and move on.

BlutrasereiBlutraserei Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi PA. Guys in Merch. et al.

Over the past year, since about February...i've been in this...nightmare of a relationship. The short version is this: I get back in touch with a good friend of mine..long distance..never met face to face, but we'd known each other for around 3 years or so. We stopped talking for reasons I can't remember..but whatever. During this time it would have been around a year and half or more since we had actually been in touch. Before communication ceased...she was fine..sweet girl, we connected great. When we start talking again I find out she's pretty much done everything short of some of the most heavy hitting drugs. Weed, coke, painers, etc...she mixed...drank alot while on the drugs...I'm pretty sure she'd been close to death a couple of times. Along with that she had seem to have fallen into this cycle of fucking guys and being with them just so she had someone to wake up to the next morning. Basically a nightmare compared to what I knew her as. About a month later we get into something fairly closely resembling a relationship. We talked often about when we'd get to see each other and all that good stuff. She swears of drugs, and then after mixing a Xanax and Vodka and faceplanting into a sidewalk and not waking up untill the next morning having been moved by her friends and grandparents on to a couch..she swore of heavy drinking as well. She seemed fine, and despite the stupid little quarrels that make up any fresh relationship, we were doing ok. So I thought anyway. Around June she starts acting weird....tells me to forget about her and that there's someone else out there thats better than her. At this point, for me, this is far from true. So naturally I'm able to talk her out of it. We do ok for a few weeks..and then it just gets bad again. Around two or three days later after wrapping my truck around a railroad crossing pole...she breaks us of...citing "I guess I needed someone to cling to while I got away from the drugs."

A month later we start talking again...we kind of come to terms with each other and are at just friends status...as to be expected. Naturally the next few months up until this point, our dead relations decayed as any good corpse does.

She's not stupid...just lost I would think. We've both been fools...and right now it feels as though I'll be alright. She said she was "done" apparently ever time we argued I made her feel stupid. Can't imagine how -that- happened. I suppose why I'm here is this. I'm well past the point where I feel as though I had been punched square in the nuts for a month or more straight..aching of heart and being as emo as I never wanted to be. I feel as though I'm regaining my sanity slowly. I'm here because I don't put it past myself to fall back into that self destructive cycle of mental anguish. What can I do to avoid this? I hate dating unless there is an almost immediate connection between me and a girl. I don't go to bars, and don't run around personal ads hoping for "the one". What have all of you done to help nurture yourselves back into stability after living through what could quite honestly be described as "living" night terror? How should I go about helping distance myself from my attachments to the girl I used to love so much, and who showed those same affections?

Tttnl.jpg

Blutraserei on

• Options
    BronzeDuckBronzeDuck Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Just go out and live your life. Hang out with friends, exercise, take up a new hobby, go travel, do stuff you never could while in the relationship. The important thing to do to ensure that you don't fall back into depression is simply to keep yourself distracted and enjoy it. If you find yourself sitting at home one night and starting to have those nasty thoughts again and you cannot confront and overcome them without falling back into depression, don't be afraid to call up a friend or do something else to keep your mind off of things.

RE Dating: get your life back in order first. If you're still upset people will sense that. If your shit is in order, and you're happy with your life and you're out, the people that you meet will notice that and that will make finding the next person you date that much easier.

BronzeDuck on