As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Amero

MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17NebraskaRegistered User regular
edited January 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
So the other day, my roommate and i have a discussion. it goes something like this

R - So, do you know what the amero is?
M - no, what the hells an amero?
R - Well, its going to be the currency of the American union. which is to say, that US Canada and Mexico are going to join together and form one border less mass. and eliminate the constitution.
M - No fucking way.
R - Some of the bills for this have already been passed man, the Canadians are all angry about it because their economy is doing well now, and this will tank it.
M - Prove it.
R - Very well then! come watch.

Now he showed me a few you tube videos. And while i remain skeptical, this seems to be, at its face value, mildly legit. Feel free to discuss and say im wrong and all that, i may very well be. but the Whole point of this is?

To make a world government. To create a European union, north American union, and Asian union, and then... join then together. And to control it? everyone will be Chipped, with RFID.

Don't like it? going to speak out? going to rebel? They will turn your chip off.

Whats on this chip? you ask, well, it is your identity, your bank accounts, your money, everything that identifies you, and makes it possible to do ANYTHING. and they will deactivate it silently and without warning.

Heres a few links to the Videos i watched.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6hiPrsc9g98

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T74VA3xU0EA&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vuBo4E77ZXo&feature=related

Now, this last one sounds a little "crazy crackpot" i know. but watch it all, its entertaining at least.

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
Mighty on

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Protip: Get a new roommate. Preferably one who doesn't enjoy haberdashery made of thin metal.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    i expected this. you are entitled to your opinion sir.

And i shall keep mine.

Mighty on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    God damnit, not another Zeitgeist thread.
    Yes, you're roommate is an idiot. I'm surprised that he didn't tell you that 9/11 was staged and that Christianity is a total fraud based off of a mistranslated document (The KJB), because that was in the video as well.
    Essentially, this is all whackjob conspiracy theory, just slightly better thought out, giving it that paean of respectability that we recognize only because of the craziness that is our regular public discourse.
    Also, the narrator of that third part is also the narrator of a video called "Zeitgeist".
    Okay, all three countries would need to agree to this kind of nuttiness. I know that you all think that the US is evil and crazy, but we're not that kind of evil. The country is on a pretty nationalistic bent right now and it would be pretty difficult to get this passed by a vote in America, not to mention Canada and Mexico. All three currencies would have to start tanking to the Euro in order to make something like this reasonable, and if I'm correct the "Loonie" (I think thats what its called) is doing quite well for itself. Of course, this entire thing is supposed to be organized by a few families who have organized a banking cartel and control the world, so such rationales are supposedly unnecessary.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What bills were passed? All the guy in the CNN interview said was look on the internet. There was no proof anywhere of government involvement.

And what's terrible about a single world government?

Quid on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Personally, I like the idea of a unified Earth government, but I know that people suck by their very nature, and this would never happen. Even if it did, the whole system would be a total clusterfuck.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah. It's like asking us to argue Timecube. You can't, because you can't debate insanity.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    Insane people have been banging on about this "New World Order" and World Government and whatnot for decades. It's pretty central to most large conspiracy theories. Look up "Lyndon LaRouche" for an interesting read about the pedigree of some of this stuff.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Aha! You came prepared!

So. So what are we doing here? Can we use facts to tell you this is silly, or is that rude?

What about a NAU would be particularly terrifying? Is Sweden a blasted hellscape because it joined the EU? No, it was always a blasted hellscape. Why would a world government be horrifying?

Also, "to control it". It what? Control by whom? Why chips? Why bother quashing dissent, and what types? Why not just institue an autocracy?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    :roll: Someone find an appropriate "ah jeez, not this shit again" picture.

Satan. on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Can we just post a picture of every previous thread?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    eh i figure its worth discussing. im not saying its real. just a possibility

Mighty on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    As a Canadian, I would note that up here the national sentiment of being 'Canadian' would never ever be able to be overcome in the near future to allow even the remote possibility of our country merging with our southern neighbors.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Can we just post a picture of every previous thread?

Maybe if we have enough threads and refine the argument enough, we can have it over by the 10th post.

Satan. on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I thought we already had a Ron Paul thread.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I thought we already had a Ron Paul thread.

Also, libertarian thread. Also, a Zeitgeist thread that was closed.

Satan. on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    As a Canadian, I would note that up here the national sentiment of being 'Canadian' would never ever be able to be overcome in the near future to allow even the remote possibility of our country merging with our southern neighbors.

Can't say I blame you.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    What bills were passed? All the guy in the CNN interview said was look on the internet. There was no proof anywhere of government involvement.

It would be controlled by a few families operating as a banking cartel, companies which have already controlled the US for a century through the federal reserve (or so says the true source material of his argument, a video called "Zeitgeist".)
    By the way, he uses the banking cartel alot, a phrase which is essentially codeword for "dirty, dirty jews".

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    And after looking at the third link it's just a repeat of the second one with people saying "Oh yeah, it's happening" and nothing else.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Quid wrote: »

It would be controlled by a few families operating as a banking cartel, companies which have already controlled the US for a century through the federal reserve (or so says the true source material of his argument, a video called "Zeitgeist".)
    By the way, he uses the banking cartel alot, a phrase which is essentially codeword for "dirty, dirty jews".

So, in other words, this is basically the 21st century version of the infamous Protocols of the Elders of Zion?

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mighty wrote: »
    M - Prove it.
    R - Very well then! come watch.

Now he showed me a few you tube videos.
    :lol:

Azio on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Also, none of that was fucking entertaining either, it was Lou fucking Dobbs.

Quid on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Can't say I blame you.

Yeah, no matter how little the US may want it, Canada wants it WAY WAY WAY less.

shryke on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    shryke wrote: »

Can't say I blame you.

Yeah, no matter how little the US may want it, Canada wants it WAY WAY WAY less.

It would be political suicide.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Narian wrote: »

Can't say I blame you.

It would be political suicide.

Possibly physical suicide too.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    This is why the Amero would never work.
    The current United States money policy is to weaken the dollar as much as possible in order to make our debts to China worthless and fuel a short term boom of investment in the goal of averting a recession which we may or may not be in.
    The Amero will never work until the fiscal policies of other countries become as crazy or crazier then that of the US.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have listened to crazy Canadian wing-nuts rant crazy rants about NAFTA and the Security and Prosperity Partnership. But nothing this crazy.

This doesn't bode well for the plausibility of anything your roommate - or the makers of these vidoes - has ratling around in their imagination.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Protip: Get a new roommate. Preferably one who doesn't enjoy haberdashery made of thin metal.

Style points.

Shinto on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Big_Bill_In_Groundhog.gif

(A little late, I know).

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    The current United States money policy is to weaken the dollar as much as possible in order to make our debts to China worthless and fuel a short term boom of investment in the goal of averting a recession which we may or may not be in.
    The Amero will never work until the fiscal policies of other countries become as crazy or crazier then that of the US.

This is why your theory about the motives of our current monetary policy is wrong: they stopped trying to keep the dollar strong three or four years ago.

Shinto on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Besides, it wouldn't be the Amero anyways. It'd be the North Amero.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Shinto wrote: »

This is why your theory about the motives of our current monetary policy is wrong: they stopped trying to keep the dollar strong three or four years ago.

So its still the current US monetary policy right?
    Still batshit insane, and just because the subprime crap started happening recently doesn't mean that the fear of a recession of any sort didn't play into the fed's plans.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The first time I heard about this was back in '98 or something. It's kind of stupid considering how complex it'd be to "merge" three countries.

Also, the initial report I heard about what the name of the unified currency would be was "PeDo" which in Spanish means Fart. Plus, ya know....paedophile...
    o_O

Yeah they didn't think it through then and they haven't bothered still.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    nosnibornosnibor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    didn't watch the clips because of a poor net connection.

Did they mention the Law of the Sea Treaty? Or the NAFTA Superhighway?

Bonus points if they tried to connect RealID to all this as well.

nosnibor on
    When you're a spy, it's a good idea to give away your trade secrets in a voiceover on a TV show.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    nosnibor wrote: »
    didn't watch the clips because of a poor net connection.

Did they mention the Law of the Sea Treaty? Or the NAFTA Superhighway?

Bonus points if they tried to connect RealID to all this as well.

If I remember the whole video went two for three, excluding the Law of the Sea treaty.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Can't say I blame you.

Yeah well you know what? We don't want your crummy maple syrup anyway. So why don't you take your hockey and your leaves and your Celine Dion and you just sit up there in the cold.

We never wanted to be friends anyway

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Tarranon wrote: »

Can't say I blame you.

Yeah well you know what? We don't want your crummy maple syrup anyway. So why don't you take your hockey and your leaves and your Celine Dion and you just sit up there in the cold.

Canada is more than just Ontario/Québec, just FYI. We have more than just syrup and shitty singers.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    How exactly do you pass legislation, simple acts of congress, that would abolish the constitution? That's...well, that's unconstitutional to say the very least. Also, North American Union is a horrible name. Call it the American Alliance and I'll get back to you about the craziness.

moniker on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Narian wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Can't say I blame you.

Canada is more than just Ontario/Québec, just FYI. We have more than just syrup and shitty singers.
    You're in Newfoundland, aren't you Narian? I think I noticed that in another thread while I was catching up on things . . . I think I will go raise it from the dead . . .

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    nosnibornosnibor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Some people believe that International Law (i.e. treaties and such) trumps the Constitution. Not that I agree with them, but that could be how they'd get around it.

With apologies to Glenn Beck, a much better name is MexAmeriCanada.

nosnibor on
    When you're a spy, it's a good idea to give away your trade secrets in a voiceover on a TV show.