As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I wish to talk to my home computer from work.

Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then?Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
Hi all I have a question.

There are quite a few torrents that become available to download while I am at work, if my computer could download these while I am at work it will save me a fair bit of time as if it is a slow download I wont be able to watch it for several hours after I get home.

Is there a program where I could say download the torrent at work, email it to my computer at home and it would start downloading? Obviously it would need to be password protected (and it might be a battle to make work because of the UAC) but is it possible?

It has been suggested to use remote desktop but I'd prefer to not use that while at work. Are there any other options like I have described?

Blake T on

• Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    LogMeIn is a free browser-based remote desktop tool that I use from work. It's secure and more stealthy since you can hide it in a browser tab.

I don't think what you're describing exists.

Shujaa on
  • Options
    typhoontyphoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

typhoon on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The latest versions of uTorrent has a web interface built-in. Among its features is that it allows you to upload a .torrent file to it remotely. You can then manage the downloads from the web interface. It's quite sexy.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There is a web interface add-on for uTorrent that suits your needs.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Zxerol wrote: »
    The latest versions of uTorrent has a web interface built-in. Among its features is that it allows you to upload a .torrent file to it remotely. You can then manage the downloads from the web interface. It's quite sexy.

This looks useful.

It does however require an IP address, is there anyway of determining my home PC's IP address from work (because as I understand it it is dynamic not static so if I check at home by the time I get to work it may of changed)

Blake T on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What you could do is use a free dynamic DNS service (like dyndns.com, no-ip.org, or many others), so that you can create a domain that points to your home's IP address. Those services provide tools that runs on your home computer that continually updates the domain record with the correct IP address. From then on, it's just a matter of forwarding the correct port for uTorrent's web interface on your router (if you're using NAT) to your home machine.

It's a bit more involved than your initial idea, but it'll get the job done if you're willing to tackle it.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It only seems to be semi involved from the setup side which I don't mind.

One last enqirey.

Obviously the first time I do this defender will shit itself and I will have to OK the firewall to let the connection in, but wont the UAC complain as well?

Blake T on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

You people do realize the RIAA owns Utorrent. Google RIAA and mediadefender. Newer Utorrent = aids.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shujaa wrote: »
    LogMeIn is a free browser-based remote desktop tool that I use from work. It's secure and more stealthy since you can hide it in a browser tab.

I don't think what you're describing exists.

I second this, All you have to do is download the plugin and you're done. Plus then you can do more than monitor torrents.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

You people do realize the RIAA owns Utorrent. Google RIAA and mediadefender. Newer Utorrent = aids.

Bram Cohen bought uTorrent, not the RIAA. However, he does have a known affiliation with the MPAA. He has to in order to have his paid site for purchasing / renting video, or whatever the hell he's up to now.

stigweard on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I just use RDP built into windows.

About the dynamic IP thing, use a dynamic ip dns service to be able to connect to your pc easilly. Or just ask your isp for a static ip address, most will either give you one, charge you a minimal fee for one or if they're crap send you through a bunch of support idiots and never get a static ip.

Almost forgot, what version of windows are you using?

The home versions of Windows do not have remote desktop. XP Professional, Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate do however.

You could download VNC alternatively anyway, it's free.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.