As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games you forced yourself to finish

MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
Greetings

Tonight I finished Timeshift.

I hate this game so very, very much and may in fact be the first game I trade in.

I forced myself to complete it, on the easiest setting, and it still felt like a chore.

The only joy I got was stopping time, ripping a weapon from the hands of mine enemy and killing him with his own gat.

Why I put myself through hell Ill never know, but I suppose Im a sucker for a good time travel story, and the brief cut-scenes were very interesting.

So I put it all to you, what game have you forced yourself to finish? Why?

MrIamMe on

• Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I really had to force myself to finish Halo 1. I don't wanna cause a whole "lol halo" stir, but I really couldn't stand that game, and I felt I had to do it in preparation for Halo 2. Of course, Halo 2 turned out to be worse, so I didn't even finish that, and just checked out the ending on Youtube. I really fucking hate Halo 1 and 2.

Halo 3 was amazing, though. One of my favorite games of last year. I don't know how they did it.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I forced myself to finish Crysis. The last third of that game was just... awful.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I tried to force myself to finish Warrior Within, but it didn't work

LaCabra on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    I forced myself to finish Crysis. The last third of that game was just... awful.

Ditto, except the last third at 5-10 frames per second (And this was on a computer that could play the opening levels at Very High)

Gears of War is my current slogathon. (seriously, that game got Game of the Year? Wow)

Rook on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Rook wrote: »

Ditto, except the last third at 5-10 frames per second (And this was on a computer that could play the opening levels at Very High)

Gears of War is my current slogathon. (seriously, that game got Game of the Year? Wow)
    I played through Gears of War like 4 times. I loved it :P

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    balbonibalboni Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    God of War. I loved the game, up until those rotating spiked pillars. I don't know how long it took me to get up those, but I pretty much forced myself since I wanted to see the end before I played GoW2 (and on the word of others that there were no parts approaching the lameness of said pillars of spikes in the sequel).

balboni on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Psychonauts. Don't get me wrong, I loved every last minute of it and it was one of my favourite games. But the last level. I had to -force- myself to beat that, it wasn't fun, it was a trial.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    God now I cant sleep cos Im all pissed at timeshift.

I am not getting the 2nd one. They can fuck off Im you tubing the story.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    why the fuck would anyone play Timeshift? D:

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't force myself to finish games. If I'm not enjoying myself, why keep playing the game at all?

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Metroid Prime 2. The first game was nice, but Echoes seemed to degenerate into a massive fetch-quest across miles of poisoned purple corridors.
    I forgot what I was supposed to be looking for, left the game for several months, then forced myself to go back and finish it.

I'm not even ashamed to say that I fought the last encounter with gamefaqs open beside me. That's how little I was enjoying it.

Tig on
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Although I have to force myself to finish games every so often, it's not really an indictment of the games it happens with. I just tend to jump from huge RPG to huge RPG.

Like last year, when I got Okami, then a couple weeks later I got Tales of the Abyss and FFXII. I was right at the final dungeon in Okami, but out it went and in went Abyss for all 80-some hours I played it. Had to promise myself I'd finish Okami before starting up FFXII. So glad I did.

cheez on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Tig wrote: »
    Metroid Prime 2. The first game was nice, but Echoes seemed to degenerate into a massive fetch-quest across miles of poisoned purple corridors.
    I forgot what I was supposed to be looking for, left the game for several months, then forced myself to go back and finish it.

I'm not even ashamed to say that I fought the last encounter with gamefaqs open beside me. That's how little I was enjoying it.

I forced myself to finish Metroid Prime 1 and then went on to love every minute of Metroid Prime 2.

I'm weird like that.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Rook wrote: »

I played through Gears of War like 4 times. I loved it :P

I think that PA comic about the U3 dialogue has completely spoiled all of GoW for me. And the gameplay is a bit sucky, oh look, another open arena with conveniently placed bits of cover, I wonder if I'm going to have to fight my way forward through a succession of spawning locust to frag an emergence hole. It doesn't really help that everything is just grey and normal mapped.

Rook on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I got the first Halo game for free with my sound card.

It started off really slow. Then I got to the planet and got the warthog and all was good. Then I was forced underground and things were not good. As the game progressed, less and less time was spent having fun in vehicles and more and more was spent in underground mazes with cut and paste rooms. Occasionally suspense would build, such as when the flood were about to be unleashed, but then tedium set in as I actually had to fight them.

Overall, I really had to force myself to play through much of the game, it was a real chore. But, I can say I've beaten it, at least.

Its finally over.

"No, its only just begun".

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wind Waker, because its a Zelda game and I payed 50 dollars for it.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The Darkness
    the latest Harry Potter game on the 360

Had them rented from gamefly and didn't want to send them back unbeaten

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    LaCabra wrote: »
    I tried to force myself to finish Warrior Within, but it didn't work

This. Well i beat it once, but after playing the first one again and loving it, i thought.... "hey maybe im just remembering it wrong" and tried it again. NO DICE.

But more correctly i REALLY had to push to get through Dark Cloud 2. Jesus lord that game GOES ON. Untill the end of time. Fuck, i really dont know how the developers could look at those endless paths of repetitious dungeuns and think "This is a great idea lets add some more".

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    MGS 2.

I generally enjoy cutscenes. It can be a nice break from the action but jesus christ....

I swear there must of been an hour of cutscenes for every 10 mins of gameplay.

Apostate on
  • Options
    RhakaRhaka Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    LaCabra wrote: »
    I tried to force myself to finish Warrior Within, but my save corrupted right before the final boss fight so fuck that game

Fixed to apply to myself.

Rhaka on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wind Waker, because its a Zelda game and I payed 50 dollars for it.

Wind waker has the worst ending mission ever.

Go find a billion map fragments so you can pay a billion rupees so you can find a billion triforce pieces so you can finally play the damn game.

Khavall on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    F-Zero GX ... oh wait... I still haven't beat it.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I never got all the hate for Warrior Within. I didn't like the emo/goth/metal angle they took with the design, but other than that I didn't have any problems with how the game played. In fact, I thought it was pretty fun. Fun enough to buy The Two Thrones on launch day, anyway.

The only game I forced myself to finish (that is currently in my mind) is Assassin's Creed. The game was beautiful and fun and open and amazing for the first few assassinations, but as the game went on, the "twist" became painfully obvious and once I was setting out on the last couple of missions, I was basically just trudging through horribly repetitive objectives to get on with it. And the ending? Oh, man, the ending...

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lork wrote: »
    I don't force myself to finish games. If I'm not enjoying myself, why keep playing the game at all?

Ditto. If it's a chore you're not playing anymore.

Nartwak on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shadow Hearts.

I wanted to cut myself at the end of that after realizing how much time I sank into it.

Such a dated game.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I had no issues with Warrior Within apart form the "Arr! Me angry and edgy = cool" stuff.

One of these days I'm going to finish Baldur's Gate and Arcanum. I love both games, I've just never finished them due to losing my saves, or other assorted reasons.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    At the moment, (I really don't want to start anything, guys. Please.) Bioshock.

I can tell there's a good game here. But it's buried under clunky gameplay (may be due to my settings; looking into it); I feel detached from all combat; boring characters, so far; Atlas I just can't care for:
    His family being blown up? Mildly annoying, as I figured I'd be using the sub to explore other parts of Rapture. Maybe I have no heart.
    Ryan? Seems interesting enough. Tenebaum is the most interesting person thus far, with the possible exception of Ego. Ego's little flashes are, while ... -frustrating- in game, are fairly cool in the abstract and the whole
    Only Ryan and his inner circle possess the genetic 'key' for those bathyspheres I've been using. Which means I must be related on some level. Which kind of makes the whole thing a little too closed-circle, at the moment. Also, why wasn't Atlas surprised I could use said bathyspheres? Did he just not know?

Also, in most games I don't mind respawning enemies, but it makes little to no sense here, especially the Big Daddies. Oh, speaking of, I've been rescuing the Little Sisters.

However. With the events of the first spoiler mere moments behind me, I feel as if one arc just finished and the game is about to kick into high gear. Is that fair to say?

As for
    Nartwak wrote: »

In most cases, we paid our monies. We'd at least like see if we can reach the point that made somebody else go 'wow, this is easily Game of the Year material', or... whichever award, or that made them choose to buy it as our present.

I, at least, am a completionist. I can usually find a redeeming quality or two that makes up for the rest long enough to beat it.
    Also, I try very hard not to rag on games I've never played. If I've gone through the game, I have this image of what someone means and can usually explain why I didn't care for that part, or why that next plot element was trash.

Doesn't mean I'm going to play every single game, then go out and find that game's core fanbase and say, "This is why this game sucks: "
    But if the game's genre appeals to me, and I've been recommended it... I have to give it a try. And the next time the conversation comes up, I can explain why I didn't like it.

Tamin on
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I didnt think a theme could ruin a game before WW. I made it through the first time and brushed the "bleak" tone off as an annoyance, because the gameplay was fine.
    But after playing WW right after completing SoT... It was just so dissapointing. And it isnt just the prince. Its the sexed up female leads, the moaning begging chick zombies, and the atrocious metal riffs.... It all just came together to turn me off every 5 minutes.

And whats with the glitches in EVERY cutscene? The first second of animation everyones clothes / hair freaks out and then drifts down to where it should be. A petty thing, but added to the pile.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Final Fantasy 8. As soon as I saw a friend play the first 5 minutes, I knew the game was going to be a pile of shit. But people who didn't hate or love it told me you had to play it through to be able to judge (which is complete BS, if a game stinks, it stinks), so I got the game, played it from start to finish (though I hacked my saved file near the end because I wasn't strong enough and there was NO WAY I was farming magic), beat the game, and went back to them to tell them this:

"After playing Final Fantasy 8 entirely, I have to say this: It is the worst game ever made."

Djiem on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    Final Fantasy 8. As soon as I saw a friend play the first 5 minutes, I knew the game was going to be a pile of shit. But people who didn't hate or love it told me you had to play it through to be able to judge (which is complete BS, if a game stinks, it stinks), so I got the game, played it from start to finish (though I hacked my saved file near the end because I wasn't strong enough and there was NO WAY I was farming magic), beat the game, and went back to them to tell them this:

"After playing Final Fantasy 8 entirely, I have to say this: It is the worst game ever made."

You've apparently never played Final Fantasy 2.

I loves me some FF8, though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Kingdom Hearts. Both of them. The Disney shit. I only persevered because of the Japanese aspect of it (Sora, Kairi, Naminé, and the blue haired guy), and even that wasn't all that appealing, but I figured since I started and everyone else finished, I should too. It wasn't "bad" but it just wasn't my gravy. Too kiddish for me.

Man, there's something fucking wrong with you.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I played FF2. It was better than FF8 in every way, I found. And yes, I do mean the FF2 FF2.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Witchsight wrote: »
    I didnt think a theme could ruin a game before WW. I made it through the first time and brushed the "bleak" tone off as an annoyance, because the gameplay was fine.
    But after playing WW right after completing SoT... It was just so dissapointing. And it isnt just the prince. Its the sexed up female leads, the moaning begging chick zombies, and the atrocious metal riffs.... It all just came together to turn me off every 5 minutes.

And whats with the glitches in EVERY cutscene? The first second of animation everyones clothes / hair freaks out and then drifts down to where it should be. A petty thing, but added to the pile.

Yeah, you've got a point. Maybe my lack of venom for the game has to do with the fact that I only played it once. Now that I played (and loved) the third installment, Warrior Within might bug me more. I just didn't think it deserved the seething hatred it seemed to engender.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    BlackDove wrote: »

No, there's not. I hated FF8, too. The first half was tolerable, even if I didn't actually enjoy any of the characters (outside of Irving, but that was only because he had a gun). The last half, and especially the end, was a chore for me to finish. The "draw" system was just silly, and allowed for materia-level homogenizing of your characters, so that your choice of party was strictly limited to cosmetic preference. Outside of limit breaks, by mid-game, there was no difference between any of your characters in battle.

As so-so as FF9 was, looking back on it, I can't tell you how much I loved it after playing FF8.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    TowlyTowly Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I hardly ever finish a game I don't like.

Halo 1: If I remember correctly you start out in a space ship with retarded aliens. I never made it outside.

Hellgate: London: I made it to level 20 I think, before I broke down mentally.

I did force myself to finish Commandos 2 & 3, but it was pretty fun.

Towly on
  • Options
    X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Yeah, but if i pay money for it, i feel obligated to finish it. It is like when you go to a restaurant and you hate the food, but you finish your plate anyways because you don't want the food or your money go to waste.

X3x3non on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think Warrior Within is one of the best cases for games being more than just the gameplay, but the whole game. It's a good game from a strictly gameplay perspective. Even with glitches it's... not bad, by any means. But when you add in the horrible atmosphere and the horrible stupid lines and the dumbass music it's atrocious.

The people who can separate the gameplay from the artistic style are a wonder to me. Hell I loved Killer7 to death, barely noticed the gameplay being useless.

Khavall on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't approve of that analogy. If I go to a restaurant and the food is terrible, I don't hold my nose and force it down my throat. If I was trying an unfamiliar dish, and it just didn't work out, I will order something else. If it was something I normally liked, but they just fucked it up somehow, I will pay for the food, and politely ask them to throw it in the trash where it belongs.

Same with video games. Kinda. I have Gamefly, so I screen most of the games I'm unsure about. The only game that I bought, and got tired of playing before finishing was Winback for the PS2. That game started out pretty awesome. It had tactical cover before it was cool. The retarded AI actually made the game more entertaining. But towards the end it got to repetitive, with too much cheap difficulty, so I quit. Not having fun, so why continue?

Fortunately, I only payed $7 for the game, and managed to get $4 back selling it.

Dirty on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    BlackDove wrote: »

No, there's not. I hated FF8, too. The first half was tolerable, even if I didn't actually enjoy any of the characters (outside of Irving, but that was only because he had a gun). The last half, and especially the end, was a chore for me to finish. The "draw" system was just silly, and allowed for materia-level homogenizing of your characters, so that your choice of party was strictly limited to cosmetic preference. Outside of limit breaks, by mid-game, there was no difference between any of your characters in battle.

As so-so as FF9 was, looking back on it, I can't tell you how much I loved it after playing FF8.

I rest my case.

Liking a character because of his weapon use or preference, and that being the sole reason for tipping the scales really proves my point for me. But this isn't about subjective liking or hating. A game needs to be evaluated on its own merits as it stands, be they your preference or not.

Final Fantasy 8? Stands pretty fucking firmly.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

This here. If I force myself to finish a game, it's because I've been playing it on-and-off for weeks, months or even years (I'm sorry, Tales of Symphonia!) and I've decided that I really want to get to the end already.

I never force myself to finish a game I am not enjoying. If I think that a game is not fun, then I stop playing it.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227