As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Problem with Audacity.

jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACEScenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I have been using the program Audacity for a little while to record myself messing around on guitar. The thing is, no matter how accurately I play with the beat when I am recording, it invariably comes out slightly off. I can see the track move slightly after I record it, and I can't figure out how to stop this. It gets worse the longer the recording I make. I have also discovered that it isn't moving the track per se, it is making it slightly shorter, but not changing the pitch, so some parts could be with the beat while others are distinctly off.

Any help?

so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
jpeg on

• Options
    GavinGavin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I had the same issue with audacity, and the reason is most likely your computer. A music recording computer that won't have lag needs beef, and I mean real beef.

Beef for reals.

My suggestion would be switch to another avenue of recording, there are other ways, and if youre hooked on digital recording, and you can, switch to a mac.

I record on a mac with garage band, I have seen the light, and the light is good.

Gavin on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    I think this depends on Audacity's recording buffer. If you're playing the sound off the same computer, there's going to be latency.

Your best bet would be an external device playing the beat. This won't let you seperate the tracks in your 'master', but if you're just messing around it really doesn't matter much.

Or get a computer with much more RAM/processor.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    TaGuelleTaGuelle Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There's an interesting quirk with electronic produced beats and human produced beats. We can not play perfectly on time. No matter how hard any human tried they will never be on time, always microseconds or so late. A computer can produce a beat that is perfectly on time. This makes for an awkward sounding clash when listened to. A lot of times people will delay the beat purposefully on beats in order to make it work better. Not sure how to do that on Audacity, ive never used the program before. Hope it works out

TaGuelle on