As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quit City Of Heroes For WoW Or Not?

Travis_TouchdownTravis_Touchdown Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
i was given COH/COV Good Vs Evil Edition As A Christmas Present and i admit it seemed kinda cool and interesting

i mean having the choice of being a superhero or a super villain?

but when i thought about it...it's monthly fee is the same as Warcraft...$14.99
and has way more features(i already have warcraft but did not give it much of a chance as i played on a server that was mainly my own type and only NPC animals to kill)

Now I Still Have Like Another Month Left On City Of Heroe's so i can continue with that or just ignore it and let the time expire and move onto Warcraft

but here's A Few Things

1.don't come preaching that WoW Eats Your Soul/MMORPG's Steal Your Wallet Garbage cause i've already heard it
2.I Don't Have The Burning Crusade(So I'd Have No Access To The Draeni And Blood Elf Race's)
3.Make Good Point's Don't Just Come In Here To Try And Push Me Off Either Of Them

Travis_Touchdown on

• Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    From an objective standpoint, which one would you miss more if you had to give it up completely?

If they are both equal then you should consider playing both or flip a coin (or just not playing either.)

Noxy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    i can't play both

thats why iam asking

Travis_Touchdown on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you can't get TBC, then don't bother with WoW.

WoW is a better game, CoX has a much better community.

I miss CoX more then I miss WoW since everyone I on my WoW server was a complete mouthbreathing retard, while everyone on the two CoX servers I played on were awesome.

Tav on
  • Options
    PentPent Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'd Like To Say That You Should Just Stick With The One You Find The Most Fun

You said you didn't like WoW from initial impression, if you didn't like the starting areas I doubt you'll like the rest of the game.

Pent on
    :winky:
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I Don't Have TBC but that don't mean i can't get it...

so just help me decide

Travis_Touchdown on
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Stick with CoX, I played Both and ended up recently returning to CoX. WoW is fun but it's even more repetitive than CoX. Plus you have to deal with everything being in an open environment and raiding for gear. The one thing I preferred about WoW was the PvP, but I hated waiting till 40 to travel faster and constantly needing money and all that stuff.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Pent wrote: »

You said you didn't like WoW from initial impression, if you didn't like the starting areas I doubt you'll like the rest of the game.

you don't understand what i mean...i played on A Wrong Type Of Server To Judge It On(PVE?)where i mainly was killing NPC Animals and everyone else was the same race as me

Travis_Touchdown on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Stick with CoX and start a new character on Champion so my Brute has someone to play with :P

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

you don't understand what i mean...i played on A Wrong Type Of Server To Judge It On(PVE?)where i mainly was killing NPC Animals and everyone else was the same race as me

Yeah, that is WoW.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was going to say that you should play with the PA guys, but jesus christ What Is Up With This Thing You're Doing?

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

Yeah, that's what happens when you don't play past the starting area.

And throughout all of WoW, the main thing you'll be doing is killing NPC animals.

Tav on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    it seems like you already have your mind made, since everytime someone says to stick with CoX you attack them....go back to WoW, we can see your breath already

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Tav wrote: »

And throughout all of WoW, the main thing you'll be doing is killing NPC animals.
    i know but least i want to combat with others

Travis_Touchdown on
  • Options
    PentPent Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Sometimes you might even get to kill some NPC humanoids or NPC undead and so on...

Pent on
    :winky:
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Runescape, definitely.

Seriously though, any MMO is going to be measured by the people you play the game with. Do you have a solid base of friends in CoX? Do you know people who play WoW?

The social aspect is the most important, IMO.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    BEAST! wrote: »
    it seems like you already have your mind made, since everytime someone says to stick with CoX you attack them....go back to WoW, we can see your breath already

attack? no...its just COH is alright but the long ass tutorial is annoying....you don't even have a option to get out once you've begun!(not that...thats bad but i dont like seeing Random NPC's who have nothing to do aside from taking the place of real players)

Travis_Touchdown on
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

i know but least i want to combat with others

City of X has this with the PvP zones where you can fight the other side. If that's not good enough, then go play Counterstrike. You're looking at an MMO for constant PvP action.

edit: Long-ass tutorial? Hahaha, it's talk to a few people then run a 2 room mission.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    edited January 2008

attack? no...its just COH is alright but the long ass tutorial is annoying....you don't even have a option to get out once you've begun!(not that...thats bad but i dont like seeing Random NPC's who have nothing to do aside from taking the place of real players)

Ummm...the tutorial in CoH is totally optional, and even then it should only take you about 15 minutes unless you are trying to get the Outbreak badge

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Trus wrote: »

Ummm...the tutorial in CoH is totally optional, and even then it should only take you about 15 minutes unless you are trying to get the Outbreak badge
    agreed......

also, congratulations on your touchdown

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008

yeah but still sometimes you can forget it's a tutorial(if your not careful)

Travis_Touchdown on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Trus why in the hell are you on Champion? VIRTUE!

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

This guy must be trolling or something.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    Trus why in the hell are you on Champion and not on Virtue where all the cat people are?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Macro9 wrote: »

look i ain't no troll...okay so it's not that long but still it's longer then most basic tutorials

Travis_Touchdown on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Trus why in the hell are you on Champion?

All my 50s are on Champion....
    I have 1 character on Virtue if thats better >.>

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    hi gear!!! to answer your question, i do not know how the episode 2 commentary works.....you can thank me later for my expedient reply

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

All my 50s are on Champion....
    I have 1 character on Virtue if thats better >.>

There is just no excuse anymore..transfer them if you want or just reroll them or just leave them there..but get on Virtue you bum.

hi gear!!! to answer your question, i do not know how the episode 2 commentary works.....you can thank me later for my expedient reply

It was Episode 1 actually.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

look i ain't no troll...okay so it's not that long but still it's longer then most basic tutorials

Dude it takes less than 10 minutes. How else are you going to know about enhancements and inspirations if you are a new player? I guess you would rather kill some kobolds and take their beautiful wax?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    oh........well sometime i'll check for you..and also, sometime, i'll come back to CoX...at the moment i suck though...i apologize, i know you cry at night about my absence...

kid, i'd stick with CoX, because these people will cry when you're gone...they won't do that for you in WoW

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I haven't seen Gear in weeks. My pillow is quite dry.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Dude it takes less than 10 minutes. How else are you going to know about enhancements and inspirations if you are a new player? I guess you would rather kill some kobolds and take their beautiful wax?

ok...forget the tutorial(all tutorials are needed no matter the length)

it just seems to me that COH Has Less To Offer Then WoW Don't Know Why

Travis_Touchdown on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

What's your highest level character in CoX?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I never really liked CoX compared to wow. PvP is very unbalanced, running the same "Go in random door, defeat mobs in caves/factory/warehouse" gets very boring over and over. And the only saving grace was totally the character maker, but it ends there.

Where as wow was/is just a the best mmo at the moment that offers almost everything you could want in an mmo.

Camui on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    why are you here then? you made the decision before you made the thread

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    reach42reach42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    CoX is awesomeness in a box. Scaling instances with parties up to a large number (that I don't know because I'm useless and have only had 14 day trials, never actually gotten it unfortunately).

I just think it's epic when your entire screen lights up from all the beam attacks. Also WoW does not have ninja henchmen.

reach42 on
    reach42.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008

What's your highest level character in CoX?

i only have one...and LV..who knows maybe some small number like 2-4 not much

i've just been exploring and killing NPC Goons

Travis_Touchdown on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Camui wrote: »
    I never really liked CoX compared to wow. PvP is very unbalanced, running the same "Go in random door, defeat mobs in caves/factory/warehouse" gets very boring over and over. And the only saving grace was totally the character maker, but it ends there.

Where as wow was/is just a the best mmo at the moment that offers almost everything you could want in an mmo.

The instanced missions in CoX are no different than repetitive bunny whacking. It all ends up boring any sane person to tears. The only thing that makes these kinds of games good is when you are teaming and just having fun with like minded people. Grinding for phat loot in WoW is no different than grinding for influence to buy top notch recipes in CoX. A X amount of enemies in CoX is no different than WoWs equivalent. If you log into WoW and you have no friends the game can be quite cold. The same can be said for CoX. The difference in my experience is that in CoX pugging is usually painless and can be done with ease.

To the OP:

Have you joined PAs channel in CoX? What server are you on? These kinds of things matter.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    why are you here then? you made the decision before you made the thread

to see your opinions

Travis_Touchdown on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think it is a pretty average length tutorial for MMOs but with too much running that makes it feel longer. You don't have to do it, though. When you create your character and it asks "Do you wish to enter the tutorial?" click no.

CoX has some pretty big EXP changes coming up that are going to make leveling a hell of a lot faster, plus Feb. 8-10 is double EXP weekend where you'll earn twice as much EXP...and I think the new EXP patch will go in before that so it will be an obscenely fast, great time to try out new characters.

I'd say stick with CoX now and switch to WAR when it comes out for your PvP fix. ;) But then I've never been able to enjoy WoW for some reason. It just doesn't do it for me.

Oh, and for the love of all that is lovable, play on Virtue with the rest of us.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    I think it is a pretty average length tutorial for MMOs but with too much running that makes it feel longer. You don't have to do it, though. When you create your character and it asks "Do you wish to enter the tutorial?" click no.

CoX has some pretty big EXP changes coming up that are going to make leveling a hell of a lot faster, plus Feb. 8-10 is double EXP weekend where you'll earn twice as much EXP...and I think the new EXP patch will go in before that so it will be an obscenely fast, great time to try out new characters.

I'd say stick with CoX now and switch to WAR when it comes out for your PvP fix. ;) But then I've never been able to enjoy WoW for some reason. It just doesn't do it for me.

Oh, and for the love of all that is lovable, play on Champion with the rest of us.

:whistle:

Trus on
    qFN53.png
This discussion has been closed.