As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just Cause 2, Just 'Cuz

Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
There doesn't appear to be a thread for this game which is just criminal. How could you, PA? I thought you were cool. So I fixed it, I dun fix it good.

Guess Who's Back...

Rico is back. Now on the island of Panau, hot on the heels of his former friend and mentor, Tom Sheldon. There he must once again topple the corrupt government with the aid of the islands many factions. Or.... he could just go it alone...... Wait, no, he has to go it alone since there's no multiplayer at all for this sequel too. It's a shame but hey, some of my best pleasures occur when I'm alone.

Will you help him on the 360, PS3 or PC? (See, that was a really clever way of telling you what platforms its releasing on).

Whats New Pussycat...

More vehicles, weapons and, possibly, gadgets. Rico is back and he's had that stick surgically removed from his anus. On top of being able to walk like a normal human, he can now also whip out his grapple-hook anytime. (Not that kind of grapple-hook). It's always accessible as its been modified to a wrist mounted bracelet of some kind. No more having to switch weapons to enable it, yay! Talking of weapons, laser-guided rocket launchers (shown in screenshots), C4 triggered explosives (can be used in flight) and a bunch of other secret stuff they're not yet telling us about have been mentioned. (well, not the secret stuff obviously). The weapons would be useless without a decent control system, oh but wait! They've revamped it to allow you to lock-on to targets and then manually target specific parts of the body, ala Crackdown.

But it won't be easy. No siree. the enemy now has a completely overhauled attitude. It's all badass and shit. They'll hide behind cover, attack in groups and call in parachute units to attack you. On top of that, each soldier has the ability to steal a vehicle thats most fitting to his situation and track you down accordingly. Best thing about it has got to be the guard feature. If a soldier is programmed to stand guard at a post, he'll chase you to a certain distance before deciding whether its best to keep at you or to go back to his post. Oh, and remember I mentioned the grappling hook? Yeah, you can use it to attach to objects.... including enemies. Stood up top a guard tower and shooting at you? Drag him the fuck down. Or why not take him for a ride whilst parachuting? You could 'hang' out for a while. *groans*

More! More! More!

The first preview and indeed sign of Just Cause 2 came from PSW magazine and CVG talked it through here.

A Q&A, courtesy of ign, is here for those interested in the first-hand explanation of everything.

SCREENS! (Check the fire on that one shot, Suh-weet.)

The CVG screens are actually quite old, ign ones are linked and new.
46710-large.jpg

46711-large.jpg

46712-large.jpg

46714-large.jpg

46713-large.jpg

46715-large.jpg

just-cause-2-20080129091530064.jpg

just-cause-2-20080129091532298.jpg

just-cause-2-20080129091537220.jpg

just-cause-2-20080129091539782.jpg

just-cause-2-20080129091542110.jpg

just-cause-2-20080129091544657.jpg

just-cause-2-20080129091549219.jpg

just-cause-2-20080129091551500.jpg
So, whens it out I hear you ask. Its listed as TBA US and March 2008 Europe but theres as much chance of that happening as Britney Spears winning the best mother award.

Big Classy on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The first one had such potential, but controlled so badly.

Also, I demand the thread name is changed to "Just 'Cuz 2"

LewieP on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    The first one had such potential, but controlled so badly.

Also, I demand the thread name is changed to "Just 'Cuz 2"

Couldn't the title be "Just Cause: Just 'Cuz"?

Oh well.

I really enjoyed the first one and you are right it had potential. I am hopeful that the sequel realizes its potential.

I don't know about the rest of you, but for almost every mission I could I stole a attack helicopter and used it.

Having to follow, then gun down a Cartel Boss was never easier at 500' in the air!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    are you serious?

this shit looks awesome

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Fixed the better images, they're now linked but atleast you'll see them, right?

Also, title is being changed. How'd I do for a first timers OP?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Graphics is crazy.

I didn't play the first one.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Whoa this looks pretty fantastic! He's about to go all T-1000 in the 5th picture, bonus points right there.

Any pending release dates?

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    You should. Its dirt cheap now.

Also...
    DAMN YOU IGN, DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN YOOOOUUU!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    get the imageshack extension for ease of creating picturesque OPs

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    OH GOD YES! The ign shots now work courtesy of photobucket. Check out the splosion!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I loved the demo for the first one, just never got around to buying it. But holy shit, I didn't expect the graphics to jump in quality that much for the sequel.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Holy crap, that looks stunning.

I didn't get in to any of the missions in the first one but I did just like driving about, messing around.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My God, it doesn't look like shit!

First one was dumb fun. Perhaps this could be dumber...funner?

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    that's a total bonus. Aside from Halo 3, Just Cause is the only game I own (of like 30 games) with more than 200 gamerscore on. I bought it on ebay for like $10 last year and was expecting to hate it. I ended up feeling bad that I didn't buy it at retail price when it came out.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Apart from the rather blocky-looking gun in the eighth screenshot, those graphics are fantastic.

I weep for the PC owners, though - any ideas on the hardware requirements?

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The first game had by far the best depiction of skydiving in any game, ever. It was beautiful.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to this. The engine is fantastic. Maybe they'll build a game around it this time.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is what I remember of the Just Cause demo, before not purchasing it:

"Push (Y) to disengage from parachute, drop 25 feet onto rear bumper of enemy Humvee without getting hurt and then snap into place, and shoot driver in face."

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    They're bullshots people. You disappoint me.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Ya, we're not dumb, go disappoint yourself.

This one is.
    46711-large.jpg

These two most definitely are not.
    46713-large.jpg
    46715-large.jpg

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    The first game had by far the best depiction of skydiving in any game, ever. It was beautiful.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to this. The engine is fantastic. Maybe they'll build a game around it this time.

Very true. The demo was extremely fun, getting the helicopter, flying super high, then bailing out.

The full game...it didn't stay very fun.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I doubt it. The only one im not sure about is the one where hes diving off the waterfall... but other than that, a lot of them have a lot of obvious flaws, that i mean, if you were going to touch up pictures, wouldnt you make them look, you know, better? As is, i see nothing that isnt possible on a current gen console.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just read the IGN preview on this yesterday, and wanted to make a thread. :P I'm really excited for this one. The preview said they're fixing the enemy AI, the controls, the mission structures of both the main campaign and side missions, the graphics no longer look cartoony, etc. And I can't believe this is scheduled to come out this March. IGN says March 21st for Europe, TBA for America.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    This is what I remember of the Just Cause demo, before not purchasing it:

"Push (Y) to disengage from parachute, drop 25 feet onto rear bumper of enemy Humvee without getting hurt and then snap into place, and shoot driver in face."

What part of that was not awesome?

Turkey on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    First one was a decent enough imitation of San Andreas for me to waste my time with. Meaning it would have been fuckawesome if the controls didn't suck. Also I hit a game-ending bug (a mission target wouldn't appear).

lolfire

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    I just read the IGN preview on this yesterday, and wanted to make a thread. :P I'm really excited for this one. The preview said they're fixing the enemy AI, the controls, the mission structures of both the main campaign and side missions, the graphics no longer look cartoony, etc. And I can't believe this is scheduled to come out this March. IGN says March 21st for Europe, TBA for America.

March?:!:
    I thought this was a fall game for sure.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah its far too soon for a March title. Probably a filler date to be honest.

also, the ign shots are most definitely not bullshots. CVG ones..... well, only one of the looks like its been touched up.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I still think about buying the first one on the cheap even today, the demo was great.

This new one looks sexay, will be keeping an eye on it.

Crackdown-style co-op would be nice.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Recoil42 wrote: »

Ya, we're not dumb, go disappoint yourself.

This one is.
    46711-large.jpg

These two most definitely are not.
    46713-large.jpg
    46715-large.jpg

Oh horseshit. There's not a legit shot in the bunch. In the two you said are legit, I've never seen textures that clear at distances like those mountains on any 360 game.

You're in an acute state of denial.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Like I said, ign ones are most definitely real. The rest can go suck donkey dick.

Big Classy on