As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Excercising while gaming (Discounting all barrel rolls)

WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
Heres the thing. I very rarely laze around and do nothing. I have some idea in my head that if im not multi-tasking, i am wasting time. The one thing i NEVER do is work out.
So when i sit down to play games i do get (easily ignorable but persistant) feelings of guilt. Because dammit, i can multi-task it... I know i can!

The simple answer is a Wii of course. A friend of mine is mighty petite, and even she waggled a few pounds off just hopping around. But i dont like the Wii, it fills me with rage you see.

How lame would it be to set up an excersie bike, or maybe a small treadmill somewhere in the livingroom? Very lame im guessing... But am i the only one who has considered this?

These guys have the right idea

Witchsight.png
Witchsight on

• Options
    A raptor!A raptor! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Playing games while riding an exercise bike is considered pretty common, no?

neo-001-md.jpg

Oooh shit.

A raptor! on
    StrummerJoe.png1.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    But its for teh PC :(

I tend to lift free weights if i think of it beforehand in yappy games with plenty of cutscenes. But yeah, having a tiny pedal bike or stair master would be prime, something to keep my lower half busy.

... rofl

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Man, I didn't even notice it actually affected the game, that is pretty cool. But yeah, a little pedal thing sounds like just the thing to get...

...I'm even tempted to get one for myself, now. D:

A raptor! on
    StrummerJoe.png1.png
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't see any reason why you couldn't play games while on a treadmill or stationary bike.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Over the summer I would get up every morning get on the treadmill and play guitar hero for an hour. Lost a few pounds though I imagine I have gained them back by now.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    With ye olde wireless-e technology-e Im sure you could use any kind of exercise bike/treadmill and play these days!

Guitar Hero and walking sounds awesome! like a music video! AWESOME!

Snare on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Snare wrote: »

I was going to second that. The only thing cooler than playing guitar standing up, is playing it walking on the spot. With a swagger!

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    With ye olde wireless-e technology-e Im sure you could use any kind of exercise bike/treadmill and play these days!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv5zWaTEVkI?

A raptor! on
    StrummerJoe.png1.png
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Do a barrel ro... oh wait, nevermind.

I usually bring my PSP with me to the gym and bust out some FFT or Jeanne d'Arc. There's also Boogie if you can get into it.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rathstarrathstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hi, my name is Rathstar and I lost 25 pounds on Konami's DDR exercise plan.

rathstar on
  • Options
    Warder45Warder45 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think the game I got the most exercise with was track and field for the NES with the track pad. Sprint then jump off the pad for a hurdle, then jump back on. That wore me out, and I was a kid who ran around outside a lot.

Warder45 on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    A raptor! wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv5zWaTEVkI?

That made me laugh so hard, thank you.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    rathstar wrote: »

FUCK DDR.

I hate that shit. But if you did lose weight due to it thats totally awesome, and i Hi5 you.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    .la1n.la1n Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Witchsight wrote: »
    But its for teh PC :(

I tend to lift free weights if i think of it beforehand in yappy games with plenty of cutscenes. But yeah, having a tiny pedal bike or stair master would be prime, something to keep my lower half busy.

... rofl

there's more than one way to keep your lower half busy
    :winky:

.la1n on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    A friend of mine used resistance bands in conjunction with Wii Boxing for a mixed arm / cardio workout. It apparently makes the game significantly more difficult too :P

I'd imagine you could do the same with weights if you fully mimicked the punching motions. Are weighted wiimotes next? Think of the TV damage!

In fact, "wii" + "exercise" seems like a great way to accidentally explode your television.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Speaking of exercise and games, there was this one arcade game I played around 97-98 that I absolutely loved. It was this flying game with a sort of steampunk setting that consisted of you flying around popping balloons. Not too e citing, but the thing you flew around in was a sort of pedal-powered bycicle with wings. The arcade machine actually was a bike and you had to pedal to keep yourself aloft. The faster you pedaled, the faster you went. I think the game kept track of your calories burned while playing, but I'm not sure. It was a lot of fun though.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was tempted for a while to get a hold of a treadmill and play Oblivion. Then, if my character was walking in the game, I had to be walking. If he was running, I would have to be, too. Also, no warping to towns.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I use my DS/PSP when I'm on the Treadmill @ the gym. I run for about 20-30 minutes then walk the rest. Walking makes it easy to do the task.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    A raptor! wrote: »
    Playing games while riding an exercise bike is considered pretty common, no?

snip

Oooh shit.
    I need to find something like that, but more general in use.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I was tempted for a while to get a hold of a treadmill and play Oblivion. Then, if my character was walking in the game, I had to be walking. If he was running, I would have to be, too. Also, no warping to towns.

Bahaha, thats sweet. Kind of what i considered too, i was just thinking a bike would take up less space.
    The many... many hours im going to sink into Oblivion could make me a Greek God. Or at least tony little

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

FUCK DDR.

I hate that shit. But if you did lose weight due to it thats totally awesome, and i Hi5 you.

What's so bad about it? It's probably one of the best ways to be active and play games at the same time. If you just feel stupid doing it, that is one thing, but you can just do it in the privacy of your own home. My sister lost a good bit of weight playing this for half an hour every day. I used it to help me keep it good shape during the summer.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Bendery wrote: »

FUCK DDR.

What's so bad about it? It's probably one of the best ways to be active and play games at the same time.

I was born with Danceophobia. Anything remotely dance or dance related is beyond my mortal comprehension. I CANNOT dance, my brain will not let me. And i know its just hopping in DDR, but even the act of freely moving about to music fills me with dread.

Also i really dislike rythym games in general. Guitar Hero, Pa-rappa, whatever it is... They have never appealed to me in the slightest :(

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Has DDR worked well for anyone else? I was thinking about giving it a try, since I cant get outside in these types of neighborhoods to do exersize, I need something heavier then weights, and Im too cheap for a gym membership and wouldnt go.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Has DDR worked well for anyone else? I was thinking about giving it a try, since I cant get outside in these types of neighborhoods to do exersize, I need something heavier then weights, and Im too cheap for a gym membership and wouldnt go.

Well the least it will do is give you a decent cardio workout, and thats some of the healthiest shit to do exercise wise. I mean it wont train specific muscles but it will help for sure.

Note, i dont know anything about exercise, but ya know.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I would recomend heavier fucking weights. They don't just come in pussy size you know.

There was one dude I remember who lost weight by cycling whenever he played WoW. I think it was on joystiq.

Blake T on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Once they invent a way to put you in games with mo-cap suits or some crap...GG.

I guess until then we just have Wii Fit.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

FUCK DDR.

What's so bad about it? It's probably one of the best ways to be active and play games at the same time.

I was born with Danceophobia. Anything remotely dance or dance related is beyond my mortal comprehension. I CANNOT dance, my brain will not let me. And i know its just hopping in DDR, but even the act of freely moving about to music fills me with dread.

Also i really dislike rythym games in general. Guitar Hero, Pa-rappa, whatever it is... They have never appealed to me in the slightest :(
    You can dance if you want to

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    http://www.amazon.com/Stationary-Bike-Pedal-Exerciser-Assembled/dp/B000MGG9UC

thats what I'm looking for.

Looks like Amazon has several different varieties.

edit - This one sounds better. == http://www.amazon.com/Isokinetics-Inc-Pedal-Exerciser-Assembled/dp/B000KDWA82/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_img_1

edit2 - they don't ship to Canada. :(

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

FUCK DDR.

You can dance if you want to

:lol: Safety Dance rules.

OT: Getting a stationary bike would probably be your best bet.

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    I wish the stationary bike in my living room was better or I'd be on it more.

I went through lefty flip easy on GH3 while riding on it. That was pretty decent.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.