As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GAME ON] GMod - Where grown-ass people play with dolls.

MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
Sorry. Action figures.

Garry's Mod or GMod is a modification for the first-person shooter computer game Half-Life 2. It is a physics sandbox game that allows the player to manipulate objects and experiment with physics, often with realistic results because of the Source engine. The construction of complex machines within the game can also be a contemporary spin on the Rube Goldberg machine principle. The final version of Garry's Mod receives regular updates via Steam. (From 'pedia) It costs $10 which I think is like 1 Euro or 50 cents Canadian.

People use Garry's Mod for all kinds of things like making comics.
concerned099.jpg

Create archaic war machines.

Or just fuck around to awesome music.

This is what I've done after hours of not knowing what the hell I was doing.
cp_dustbowl0000.jpg
cp_dustbowl0002.jpg

Then I hit save, went to work, came back and it was gone!

This thread is for posting tips, ideas, and screenshots of what you've done in GMod, maybe we can get a game on and re-create the Civil War or something.
Sacred Cow wrote: »
This was linked on Joystiq a few days ago. Its a reenactment of some fan fiction written by a 9 year old.
UEAKCrash wrote: »
OK!!! For the love of GMan! We have a server!!!!

IP: 64.85.162.138:27015
Name: UEAK/PA Super Secret Russian Missle Base
Password: wang

Map: gm_ps_hugeflatconstruct_v2
Max Players: 8
What you'll need to play:
The server doesn't allow map downloads, so you'll need to get it here.

Only thing not working fully is player damage. For some reason, even though it's set up to allow it, you can't hurt yourself. Havn't had a chance to get someone else in to test if you can kill each other, though.

So, sorry for the long wait, guys. Have fun, and Game On!

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
Malkor on

• AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I got this the other day but don't quite know how to mess around with it, specially the facial expressions, the only ones I can apply are the presets

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Some of that stuff was awesome and I'm so tempted to download this to try and fail at making things like it.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • PompaPompa Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    im sure there used to be a free version of this? is that still up for grabs?

Pompa on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Pompa wrote: »
    im sure there used to be a free version of this? is that still up for grabs?

I believe that's version 9, which is still freely available (you can find it on Steam). It's version 10 that you pay for now.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is one of the best things GMod has ever been used for.

Walrus Pete on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just want to say I heartily approve of this thread title.

mcdermott on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You can use the TF2 models in GMod now? Neat.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Sacred CowSacred Cow Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This was linked on Joystiq a few days ago. Its a reenactment of some fan fiction written by a 9 year old.

Sacred Cow on
    SacredCowJebus.png

SSB code- 0216-0856-6886 PM me so I can add you
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

That is amazing.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I laughed till I cried. Good show, internet. Good show.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Fucking LOLerskates.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

That made laugh me so hard that I cried and boogers came out of my nose. Now I have boogers on my hands because I couldn't find kleenex.

edit: Oh crap I got boogers all over the keyboard!

Food on
  • Sacred CowSacred Cow Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Food wrote: »

That made laugh me so hard that I cried and boogers came out of my nose. Now I have boogers on my hands because I couldn't find kleenex.

edit: Oh crap I got boogers all over the keyboard!

My work here is done.

Sacred Cow on
    SacredCowJebus.png

SSB code- 0216-0856-6886 PM me so I can add you
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

This is so unbelievably awesome that my Internets just exploded. Seriously, I think it took out my router.

So awesome.

Zxerol on
  • LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Me and a few friends decided to hold a stock car rally race thing with home built vehicle's, this is what I came up with:
    gm_wastelands_v010000.jpg

Buddy of mine made this, which was cool but had the turning radius of Jupiter:
    gm_construct0000.jpg

Loathing on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Good God that was excellent.

Goose! on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Zxerol wrote: »

This is so unbelievably awesome that my Internets just exploded. Seriously, I think it took out my router.

So awesome.

Oooooooh man. I was so gonna link that here.
    "I can't give you my license officer"

"Why not", said the head crab officer

"BECAUSE YOU ARE HEADCRAB ZOMBIE"

:lol::lol::lol:

Big Classy on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I love garrys mod.

I should be getting 10 pretty soon, and the first challenge for my clan is to build a machine that can drive over a field littered with watermelons, pick the watermelons up, put them in a bin, and then transfer them from the bin to a catapult, which needs to launch it either a certain distance, or at a target.

We'll only be allowed 2 watermelons during the build stage, to get weight and size down. But, if you break it, you're screwed.

I think it shall be fun. I'll take screenshots.

UEAKCrash on
    edited January 2008
    I'm reinstalling Half Life 2 again just for GMOD. I never could use it but still, atleast I'll have it there. Ready. Waiting. For when I pluck up the courage to try something new and hopefully succeed.

Big Classy on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I love G-Mod

Gorilla Salad on
    edited January 2008
    Oddly enough I found the earlier 'free' versions to be more stable then the current one for some reason. In the older version I never had a problem with crashes or the gmod server dying because too much was going on, while in 10 I've experienced a lot of this.

Loathing on
  • NekroNekro Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I can say, without a doubt, that is the best use of Gmod and retarded fanfiction ever to be committed to film.

Thank you.

Nekro on
    gantclap.gif
  • BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was making this amazing sled yesterday and gmod decided to crash on me. Bummer to the max.

Heres some of my shots though.

Beginnings of a crude piston engine.
    gm_flatgrass0003.jpg

I added lamps to the EP2 Muscle car and welded them to the grill so that it actually looked like it had headlights.
    gm_construct_flatgrass_v20000.jpg

Attempt at an artsy shadowy shot?
    gm_construct0002.jpg

Bearcat on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    For new builders, here's a little laundry list of helpful/common mods to have:

WIRE mod: It lets you do *VERY* basic programming of stuff, so you can make autoturrets, self-driving cars, calculators, etch-a-sketch, etcetera.

Smartsnap: Overlays a configurable scale grid on objects you're using tools with that you can lock your view onto. Lets you make things very precisely.

Advanced Duplicator: Comes with wiremod usually. Lets you save what you made into a file and upload it to servers so you can bring things with you in any game.

BlueDestiny on
    edited January 2008

WIRE mod: It lets you do *VERY* basic programming of stuff, so you can make autoturrets, self-driving cars, calculators, etch-a-sketch, etcetera.

Smartsnap: Overlays a configurable scale grid on objects you're using tools with that you can lock your view onto. Lets you make things very precisely.

Advanced Duplicator: Comes with wiremod usually. Lets you save what you made into a file and upload it to servers so you can bring things with you in any game.

I think some components of wiremod were borked in the latest version.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

please correct me

Bearcat on
    edited January 2008
    Bearcat wrote: »

Correst me if I'm wrong.

please correct me

you spelled correct wrong?

I don't know personally what, if anything is borked in wiremod these days, but I don't use it all that often. And even then it's usually for something simple.

BlueDestiny on
    edited January 2008

Correst me if I'm wrong.

please correct me

you spelled correct wrong?

I don't know personally what, if anything is borked in wiremod these days, but I don't use it all that often. And even then it's usually for something simple.

Good to know.
    I think the coolest thing I ever did with wiremod is make an automated door and a fucked up engine.

And yes I did spell correct incorrectly. I'm only human.

Bearcat on
  • kf1kf1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So, I have the free version (9, I believe) and I'm sitting here wondering if it's actually worth paying $10 for the newest version. What say you all?

kf1 on
    edited February 2008
    Ver.9 is supposedly more secure and less prone to crashing, or so I've heard.
    I'm trying to find a download of Ver.9 but it's nowhere to be found. A little help amigos?

Big Classy on
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I'm trying to find a download of Ver.9 but it's nowhere to be found. A little help amigos?

I just installed this one.

Nimble Cat on
    edited February 2008
    Nimble Cat wrote: »

My good sir, I think I <3 you.

Thanks muchos.

Big Classy on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nimble Cat wrote: »

Can't you just download version 9 off of Steam?

subedii on
    edited February 2008
    Steam is version 10. All the versions before 10 were the free ones I believe that the guy released himself until it was bought by Steam/Valve/Whoever.

Loathing on
    edited February 2008
    Alright, I've conceptualized this in my head.
    I want to build an aircraft, but incorporate wiremod to simulate lift relative to speed, as well as a retractable undercarriage.
    Can anyone help with what exactly I'll need to program this? I'm thinking I'll have invisible thrusters located on the bottom of the wings that gradually increase thrust relative to velocity. Its the coding part that gets me.

It will be called the Metal Mallard and will hold one passenger.
    Hop in.
    I said hop in.

Bearcat on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    do tf2 models work with version 9? because that's key.

Angry on
    edited February 2008
    Angry wrote: »
    do tf2 models work with version 9? because that's key.

Nope, orange box stuff only works with version 10 AFAIK.

BlueDestiny on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    GMOD 10 is slowly getting better and better, although I'm having a damned hell of a time importing new guns into it, apparently they are all set up for GMOD 9 and aren't fully compatible with v10. But Wire is definitely a must as an add on, as well as the Phoenix updates that add more materials.

Dark_Side on
    edited February 2008
    Alright, I've conceptualized this in my head.
    I want to build an aircraft, but incorporate wiremod to simulate lift relative to speed, as well as a retractable undercarriage.
    Can anyone help with what exactly I'll need to program this? I'm thinking I'll have invisible thrusters located on the bottom of the wings that gradually increase thrust relative to velocity. Its the coding part that gets me.

It will be called the Metal Mallard and will hold one passenger.
    Hop in.
    I said hop in.

For the speed-controlled lift thing, you could have speedometers linked to thrusters that tell the thrusters the speed. The hard part is fine-tuning it so that you don't do keep flipping over and over at high speed. The retractable undercarriage would be a simple matter of some axis/ballsocket joints and a couple of wire hydraulics.

EDIT: Or you could just use this mod to make the wings, and solve half the problem.

BlueDestiny on
  • ANARCHakeANARCHake Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You really have to wonder how many people are taking this game and just making ragdolls touch each other in naughty places.

ANARCHake on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ANARCHake wrote: »
    You really have to wonder how many people are taking this game and just making ragdolls touch each other in naughty places.

I touched the Pyro and now it burns when I pee.

freakish light on