As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jumping Ship: 360 to PS3

• Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Just own both... they're both cool. I use my 360 for exclusives and any game that my friends at work play online... the PS3 for everything else.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Just own both... they're both cool. I use my 360 for exclusives and any game that my friends at work play online... the PS3 for everything else.

This is my plan as well. One of these days I'll get around to picking up a 360. (Once I run out of PS3 games, and the 360 drops far enough in price. There are only like 6 games I want on it anyways)

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If it's any incentive both:

Fade to Black
    and
    Theme Hospital

have recently (tonight?) appeared on the PSN. At least in Europe.

I'm snapping up both of them at present, two of my favourite old games!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Fade to Black? D:

Theme Hospital? :D

I love Theme Hospital. Probably just Yurp, though, since Bullfrog was a Yurpian company.

Sheep on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Theme Hospital.

What the fuck! awesome.

we need a lets play of that soon.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sleep wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223922

If you can't find something to dig in this thread, then sell it. But I don't think the PS3 will fill the hole that you call your heart.

Also, can we please drop the lie that the 360 is synonymous with FPS?

I think of third person shooters when I think of the 360, personally. Gears and Mass Effect are my two favorite games on the system.

It's just a personal aggravation, especially when people say that the 360 only has FPS'.

Well, no. There's plenty of other game types on the system. Just look for them.

Heh, I never think of my 360 as a FPS system. I think of it as my action game system, which is why I love it so much. 3rd person games have reached a prime, IMO, that we haven't seen since the days of contra clones cluttering the NES.

And I for one welcome it.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    NoelVeigaNoelVeiga Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Why not keep the console? You already have it.

I mean, I strongly reccomend getting a PS3. It's great and only gonna get better, but why lose the opportunity to play additional exclusives, Arcade games, Xbox 1 games and choose the better version on multiplatforms (be it on the 360 or PS3, don't take me wrong)?

Just save for a little longer and get a PS3 without losing your 360. They weren't gonna give you that much anyway.

As for the FPS debate, both consoles are showing signs of shooter fatigue by now and I honestly find it very, very hard to get excited about any shooters at this point unless they bring something extraordinary to the table. The problem is bigger on the 360, IMO, if only because most PS exclusives come from a legacy of non-FPS games.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    tendoboy101tendoboy101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm a starving college student on a barely paying work study. I don't want to dip into savings for the PS3, so thats why selling is such a high option. I'm going to wait at least until GDC before I trade it in, and if I do, I'm certainly waiting to here what the next sku is from sony. Thanks for the advice guys, but I guess we can call this one case closed.

tendoboy101 on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    A word of warning: selling games or systems primarily because you want to buy something else is a recipe for regret. As one who knows.

Just think. If you're only getting $200 or so for selling your 360, that means you have to come up with $200 more to buy a PS3. That's $200 that you could have spent buying games on the systems you already own which is no small amount of money if you're barely making ends meet.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    A word of warning: selling games or systems primarily because you want to buy something else is a recipe for regret. As one who knows.

Just think. If you're only getting $200 or so for selling your 360, that means you have to come up with $200 more to buy a PS3. That's $200 that you could have spent buying games on the systems you already own which is no small amount of money if you're barely making ends meet.

Well, I normally warn against selling shit, but I sold my PS2, Assassins creed, and bioshock for rockband on the 360 and I feel zero regret.

Especially since I had already beaten those games and I have a PS3.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Edit: I am stupid and clearly cannot read. Durr durr durr.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fkn creepfkn creep Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Here's a question along the same lines: My PSU for my PC popped, should I rebuild a current gen gaming PC or bare essentials? I really like COD4, but hate the live community so I'm thinking that's incentive in itself. Are there any games still out there doing the PC exclusive thing and also are multiplatform games still graphically superior on the PC?

fkn creep on
    t1g3rstyl3.png
  • Options
    fkn creepfkn creep Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    By the way, the OP is just confused about RE5 being exclusive. You can download the teaser off Live Marketplace.

fkn creep on
    t1g3rstyl3.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    The OP never sayd anything about RE5 being exclusive. He called it a multiplatform title.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Well, I normally warn against selling shit, but I sold my PS2, Assassins creed, and bioshock for rockband on the 360 and I feel zero regret.

A word of warning: selling games or systems PRIMARILY because you want to buy something else is a recipe for regret. There's a difference between selling something because you honestly don't plan on using it anymore and could use that money better on other things and between convincing yourself that you aren't going to regret selling something and selling it anyway, because you have to have the hottest new thing and are broke. I've done both and you almost inevitably end up being disappointed when it's the second option, because that's more of a problem with being unsatisfied with what you have and craving more even when what you really need is to just be happy with what you have. When it's the first option, selling the stuff is actually liberating because it's getting rid of stuff you no longer need or want and getting a little cash for it on top of it.

Now, I don't know for sure, but the mere fact that this thread exists implies to me that he's worried that if he sells his XBox 360, he's going to regret it later. If you're worried about regretting it later, you'll probably end up regretting it later. You can always purchase a PS3 later down the road when you have more money and the prices have dropped some.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I agree with Rainbow about the economics of it, even if you are broke. Gaming-wise you are always poorer for having one console (especially if you traded in and outlayed more just to basically end up in the same situation). I'm always willing to sacrifice the sell-off cash to keep a console. It may mean less money for games short-term but long term your options for quality titles and cheap deals is greater.

Better to have the top five games for two consoles than the top ten for just one I reckon.

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    A quick question...I'd like to hook my PS3 up to my computer monitor . Will this cable do the trick?

When I get one that is.

tendoboy101 on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited February 2008
    I think if you were to sell your 360, you would one day come to regret the decision.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    A quick question...I'd like to hook my PS3 up to my computer monitor . Will this cable do the trick?

When I get one that is.

This (annoying as hell) youtube video shows a PS3 working with a CRT and describes the process

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    I think if you were to sell your 360, you would one day come to regret the decision.

I agree, but I also think the opposite. I.E. selling a PS3 for a 360 would have the same results.

Both are extremely worthy machines.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited February 2008

I agree, but I also think the opposite. I.E. selling a PS3 for a 360 would have the same results.

Which is why he should own both.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Which is why he should own both.

We're seeing eye to eye, it seems.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

When I get one that is.

This (annoying as hell) youtube video shows a PS3 working with a CRT and describes the process

Wait what? I was under the assumption I merely needed an HDMI to DVI cable?

tendoboy101 on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I went from three consoles the previous two generations down to just one this, and I can tell you, it's easier for a busier person to keep up with one box. Especially if you have a usuable gaming PC. There is a much bigger overlap between the PC and the 360 then the PS3 and PC. You can still get a decent chunk of money for a working 360, especially if you avoid the pawn shops mascarading as game stores and sell it on something like Craigslist.

I love going one console and a pair of handhelds. I spend less money and I use more of my leisure time treasuring what I have. I'm in the lucky position of living near close friends with the other two systems, so I can try something out or get into some multiplayer skirmishes.

The only reason I'd tell the OP to wait is the fact that the Shockaxis and maybe a price drop are in the cards in the coming months.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

When I get one that is.

Wait what? I was under the assumption I merely needed an HDMI to DVI cable?

Well, if you have a DVI monitor it will work. If not that video should help.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't know why people are jumping on the PS3 ship so soon, with the best titles still potentially years off.

The 360 is honestly characterized as a system with some good games and a shit load of shooters, whereas the PS3 is a system with a few good games. We're talking exclusives here. Multiplats are almost always better on the 360 from what I've seen.

As for the cost of Live, yeah, I've had a hard time justifying the purchase when there are GAMES to spend that $50 on, but it's 13 months if you buy the card in the store. That's less than $5 a month, and the service is better than PSN by a fair margin.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I don't know why people are jumping on the PS3 ship so soon, with the best titles still potentially years off.

The 360 is honestly characterized as a system with some good games and a shit load of shooters, whereas the PS3 is a system with a few good games. We're talking exclusives here. Multiplats are almost always better on the 360 from what I've seen.

As for the cost of Live, yeah, I've had a hard time justifying the purchase when there are GAMES to spend that $50 on, but it's 13 months if you buy the card in the store. That's less than $5 a month, and the service is better than PSN by a fair margin.

this entire post reaks of being unfamiliar with the PS3.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited February 2008

Well, there really are only a few good exclusives on the PS3.

Warhawk, Resistance, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted and R&C.

The rest worth a damn is all multiplatform. In another year or two, sure... the PS3 will be overflowing with great exclusives... but as a PS3 owner myself, it only seems to come on occasionally for the random nugget like the games mentioned above, or Blu rays. I still use it a hell of a lot more than my Wii, though.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    syndalis wrote: »

The rest worth a damn is all multiplatform. In another year or two, sure... the PS3 will be overflowing with great exclusives... but as a PS3 owner myself, it only seems to come on occasionally for the random nugget like the games mentioned above, or Blu rays. I still use it a hell of a lot more than my Wii, though.

I was talking more about "multiplatform games are normally better on the 360" and "PSN has nothing on XBL"

Normally, multiplatform games are identical. If a game comes out on the PS3 and 360, more often than not, they're exactly the same. And just like there are instances where a multiplatform game is better on the 360, there are also instances where they're better on the PS3 (CoD4, for example).

And really, the main thing Live has over PSN is being able to access the friends list in-game... which sony has already pledged will be solved this year.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited February 2008

I was talking more about "multiplatform games are normally better on the 360" and "PSN has nothing on XBL"

Normally, multiplatform games are identical. If a game comes out on the PS3 and 360, more often than not, they're exactly the same. And just like there are instances where a multiplatform game is better on the 360, there are also instances where they're better on the PS3 (CoD4, for example).

And really, the main thing Live has over PSN is being able to access the friends list in-game... which sony has already pledged will be solved this year.
    Thing is, the very NATURE of in-game friends lists and cross-title invites is what makes the 360 my ideal choice for multiplatform titles. I have a hundred friends on my list that are all playing games, and can see what I am playing, and can see when i spam invites to a game of drunken camwhore Uno... and they can stop playing rockband, COD4, or geometry Wars and join in on the party... and not have to quit the game they are currently playing to see that what I am requesting them to join is not up their alley and decline.

Just because it has been promised for the PSN does not mean it is there yet; until such a feature exists in tangible form on the PS3, muliplatform multiplayer titles are going to be on the 360 for me.

But I really want to love my PS3; shit, I payed 500 for it; and for some games and some movies it has been awesome; I just don't have a community there yet.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Personally, I find most of the differences between the 360/PS3 multiplat games to be very negligible.

That said, I've followed the reviews of many of these games. Based on that, what I have found as far as technical performance is this:

Nearly every EA game fairs better on the 360 than the PS3. And the Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell games fair better on the 360. Virtua Fighter is better on the 360, although I cannot remember if they patched multiplayer online into the PS3 vsn. GH3 fairs better on the 360. FEAR runs better on it. Marvel UA runs better on it. Orange Box runs better on it, and has a lot more people playing online.

The PS3, however, has better versions of Oblivion, COD4, Virtua Tennis 3, and that's all I can think of. There may be a couple more though.

Like I said. It really doesn't fucking matter that much. And as time progresses, the differences between the 360/PS3 multiplats will begin to become even smaller and more negligible. Like DMC4.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Naughty_SauceNaughty_Sauce Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

When I get one that is.

Unfortunately I don't think that will work unless your monitor is HDCP compliant. :(

Naughty_Sauce on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

When I get one that is.

Unfortunately I don't think that will work unless your monitor is HDCP compliant. :(

It only needs to be HDCP compliant to play blu ray, not games in HD.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Naughty_SauceNaughty_Sauce Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

When I get one that is.

It only needs to be HDCP compliant to play blu ray, not games in HD.

I ran a search on google and found a couple of forum posts from people trying to connect their PS3's to non-HDCP compliant monitors via HDMI-DVI adapters and getting nothing but blank screens. But it looks like his monitor is HDCP compliant so it should work just fine.

Naughty_Sauce on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Throw Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Folklore and Motorstorm onto that list, as well as PixelJunk Monsters, flow, Super Stardust HD and Everyday Shooter. I'd say the PS3 has plenty of good games for this point in its life, probably a better lineup than the 360 had at this point last year.

I'd say Gaming Module just has no clue about the PS3, especially if he thinks its best titles are years off.

slash000: From all I've heard, Burnout Paradise looks better on the PS3 and DMC4 loads quicker on it too. And no Sega haven't patched the PS3 version of VF5 and say they have no intention to, which has put me off ever buying it.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Throw Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Folklore and Motorstorm onto that list, as well as PixelJunk Monsters, flow, Super Stardust HD and Everyday Shooter. I'd say the PS3 has plenty of good games for this point in its life, probably a better lineup than the 360 had at this point last year.

Why do people keep comparing the PS3 now as the 360 was? It has no bearing what so ever on the discussion at hand. I just don't get it. If I were to buy a console today, I'd look at the games that are out *today* and make my decision based on that. I might look forward to see what's in store but looking back? What?

In any case, I'll probably be picking up the PS3 once gets more of the JRPG segment. Though I could see them moving to the Wii, so I'm not too sure which I'll go for if that happens.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Why do people keep comparing the PS3 now as the 360 was? It has no bearing what so ever on the discussion at hand. I just don't get it. If I were to buy a console today, I'd look at the games that are out *today* and make my decision based on that. I might look forward to see what's in store but looking back? What?

In any case, I'll probably be picking up the PS3 once gets more of the JRPG segment. Though I could see them moving to the Wii, so I'm not too sure which I'll go for if that happens.

Because it's relevant to the discussion? Gaming-Module asked why people are jumping on the PS3 ship, to which the answer is the same reason why people jumped on the 360 ship at this point last year.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is Mass Effect coming to PS3, because I'm tempted to pay to have my 360 fixed so that I can go buy Mass Effect and play through it, but i'm weary that my 360 will break again, so if there's a chance Mass Effect will be coming to the PS3 i'd rather stay in that camp.

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Because it's relevant to the discussion? Gaming-Module asked why people are jumping on the PS3 ship, to which the answer is the same reason why people jumped on the 360 ship at this point last year.

That doesn't make sense. A year ago there was not much of a PS3 ship to jump from. The 360 was already entrenched, and had at least one system-seller game even without Halo 3.

Maybe there were folks who decided the PS3 was going to be a permanent dud and got 360s because of that, but there is no one now who is thinking "oh, the 360 is going to die, I should get a PS3 now."

But anyway, I'm with Cynic Jester on this. Buying a console because of games that will eventually come out, and which may or may not be good games, isn't really rational. Talking about future exclusives is nice if you're looking for hype, but not if you're looking for a good reason to spend hundreds of dollars. For that, you have to evaluate what you like about the system's current library.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    edited February 2008

That doesn't make sense. A year ago there was not much of a PS3 ship to jump from. The 360 was already entrenched, and had at least one system-seller game even without Halo 3.

Maybe there were folks who decided the PS3 was going to be a permanent dud and got 360s because of that, but there is no one now who is thinking "oh, the 360 is going to die, I should get a PS3 now."

But anyway, I'm with Cynic Jester on this. Buying a console because of games that will eventually come out, and which may or may not be good games, isn't really rational. Talking about future exclusives is nice if you're looking for hype, but not if you're looking for a good reason to spend hundreds of dollars. For that, you have to evaluate what you like about the system's current library.

I wasn't really talking about jumping ship from the PS3 to the 360, though those 360 owners obviously had to come from somewhere, whether it was the PS2 or the Xbox.

As for buying a console, I'd say it's more rational to take into account the current library AND the upcoming games. Buying a system for its back catalogue is great at the end of a generation but when we're in the middle of one, there'd need to be games I'm anticipating buying.

Resident0: Bioware (and by ownership, EA) may own the Mass Effect IP but I'm pretty sure there's a deal in place that ensures 360 exclusivity. There will undoubtably be a PC port though, but after the Assassin's Creed debacle I'm dreading what the required specs will be (or how ridiculously buggy it'll be, having played KOTOR on PC).

Unco-ordinated on