As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recording console game videos in a, er, complicated wiring situation

LednehLedneh shinesquawkRegistered User regular
Once long ago, all I had was a PS2, a TV with nothing but plain old composite video and stereo audio, and a DVD recorder. Run the ps2 through the DVD recorder to the TV, and bam, I could record my goings-on with ease.

But now matters have gotten... complicated. I now have a 5.1 system hooked up to a digital receiver, which takes all of the audio outputs AND the component video outputs from my consoles (with the HDMI video going straight to the HDTV). My old TV and DVD recorder are long gone, but lately I've had some ideas for movies based on recordings from some of my games.

Are there any devices or techniques out there that will allow me to make these recordings, short of "point camera at screen, press record, pray it comes out okay (which it never does)"? The only thing I can think of offhand is to buy a DVD recorder with HDMI and component support, and run the cables through that before they go to the TV, but then there's nothing I can do about audio.

Pictured below is a 15 minute mspaint of the wiring situation in the room.

cablediagram.gif

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them!

Ledneh on

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you still have that DVD recorder, my best suggestion would be to see if the TV has a monitor out output or something similar and see if that'll do ya. Otherwise you have to hook up something else on a TV output if you have one, or between the receiver and tv, but you'll not get the ps3 there.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ToyD wrote: »
    If you still have that DVD recorder, my best suggestion would be to see if the TV has a monitor out output or something similar and see if that'll do ya. Otherwise you have to hook up something else on a TV output if you have one, or between the receiver and tv, but you'll not get the ps3 there.

I don't have the original DVD recorder--long relegated to the trash can due to cheapness and breakage--but I can get a new one. And my TV DOES have Monitor Out (composite only, but hell, I'll take what I can get).

The problem is that how do I then get audio recorded this way? The only outputs my digital receiver has is the component video, composite video (unused), and the speaker outputs.

Ledneh on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Does your tv also have an audio out? Maybe just left and right stereo? I know mine has one that's optical, but haven't bothered to look for any others.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you're using composite cables, the red/white ones, to the receiver you can buy some y-cables. They'll split the audio output into two inputs. So one can go into the receiver, the other into the recorder.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Actually, if you want to record these things for sending to friends or uploading to YouTube, you might want to look into a Neuros OSD instead of a new DVD recorder. I have one and it's excellent for recording quick SD-resolution videos onto a flash drive.

It only takes and outputs composite, but it's still more than you need for most internet videos.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam