As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gust Co. (Makers of Atelier & Ar tonelico) has done something very interesting

SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
Some of you may remember, particularly from the NISA eggnog and whores thread, my ranting about the lack of initiative on the part of NISA (or any American company for that matter) to bring over the Atelier Lise DS game. It's a kind of game we never get over here, being a wild hybrid of a Lucasarts adventure game and Harvest Moon, and I think it would do quite well in the States if it was actually released.

What is not common knowledge in the West, however, is that various U.S. distributors did in fact have a very good reason for giving Lise a pass: the game was riddled with game-stopping bugs. It shipped in Japan in a pretty horrible state, and the bugs may have ended up poisoning the sales waters for the game. It was so bad that for the past six months, Gust has had an apology up on the main page of their salburg.com Atelier portal, begging their customers for forgiveness for the state the game shipped in, and they had a list of the major defects in the game. Frankly it read something like The Litany Of The Sins Of The Damned And The Fallen. Wifi glitches that could obliterate your inventory, save errors that could corrupt your save files or possibly even render the game unsavable, full-blown hard stop crash errors, the whole works. I despaired somewhat when I learned this because the game wasn't in any condition to be sold in the U.S. anyway, which is even less forgiving of console bugs than Japan is - the scars of the Atari 2600 run deep.

After all, video game makers don't fix broken console games when they can't be patched, like on the DS. The cards are read-only. They wouldn't swap in every defective game unit.

... wouldn't they?

http://www.salburg.com/

https://shop.salburg.com/lise_switch/index.htm

In a fairly incredible twist, that is exactly what Gust announced not twenty-four hours ago. For non-moonspeakers, it basically is another apology for releasing Atelier Lise bugged, and it is an offer to mail in an existing game card, and Gust will mail you back a card with the v1.1 of the game, containing fixes for every single glitch in the game. They fixed it all, every single one. And they will replace glitched game cards on their own dime, to deliver the proper experience to their customers.

Now this is not in any way a confirmation of the game's impending release in the West. No company has yet said they'll bring it out. But one of the big hurdles to Atelier Lise being released in the West is now gone in that the game actually works, so the future is looking a little brighter than it was even a few days ago.

Plus it has cemented Gust as one of my favorite game developers, ever. They are going to eat a lot of loss over producing tens of thousands of replacement copies of the game, but they'd rather do that than have their name tarred with the brush of 'buggy game developer'. There aren't many companies today who would go to such lengths to ensure their name remains in good standing with the gamer community (see some of EA's previous releases like its GBA Hobbit game for example, which was buggy but went unfixed) and I'm really proud of Gust for wanting to step up to the plate and take responsibility like this.

So. Atelier Lise bugfixed and being replaced and re-released in Japan. A good topic on which to discuss corporate responsibility to their customers and eating losses that could hurt the company versus simply moving on.

And of course, the still-distant but closer-looking possibility of a release of the game in the U.S. and beyond. :)

Words! Discuss!

pa_sig.jpg
SpaceDrake on

• Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That's cool. SNK did the same thing with SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters earlier last year, so it's hardly unprecedented.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That's awesome and all, but...

Where's Ar tonelico 2? :|

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    So. Atelier Lise bugfixed and being replaced and re-released in Japan. A good topic on which to discuss corporate responsibility to their customers and eating losses that could hurt the company versus simply moving on.

Look, I'm glad they stepped up and are replacing every copy. That's great. But they shouldn't have shipped the game in the state it was anyway. I call this less "good customer service" and more "PR reparation."

To be fair, I wish more companies would fix their games and replace the shitty bugged versions... but then like all, I wish games wouldn't be released buggy in the first place (I speak of game-stopping bugs like the ones described, not "zomg equipping the plasma rifle on one frame in stage 3-1 causes slowdown for 1/2 second because they didn't tighten up the grafix enough!").

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    As someone who really doesn't know enough about the game, considering I work for the company that friggin releases Gust games here, I vote that you turn this into a Lise info thread, with appropriate screenshots and gameplay summary. Post haste!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    That's cool. SNK did the same thing with SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters earlier last year, so it's hardly unprecedented.

Speaking of, where's the info I have to have to send off for a replacement card?

I mean, I don't like the game anyway, but I don't want to put a defective copy up for sale.

DarkPrimus on