Options

[Purchase On]HD Projectors

davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
I'm looking in to buying an HD Projector, problem being that I have absolutely no clue where to start looking/what I should be looking for.

I guess I'm hoping that there are some decent sub-$1000 720p projectors out there, but I honestly don't know. So really, throw some suggestions at me if you can. I definitely want it to be at least 1280*720 native resolution, but other than that I have no preferences.

davidbarry.jpg
davidbarry on

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Optoma HD70 is pretty much the best projector you can get for under $1000.

Good place to get reviews and advice is www.projectorpeople.com

Keep in mind though, if you don't have complete control over the lighting in the room you're going to use, it's best to just save up a bit more and get a TV instead.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Keep in mind though, if you don't have complete control over the lighting in the room you're going to use, it's best to just save up a bit more and get a TV instead.

That and the wall.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited February 2008

That and the wall.

Yeah, I've got lots of control over lighting and a huge, empty wall which will be home to a pull down projector screen. :^:

I justed checked out that Optoma. Looks awesome, to be sure. I think that's the one for me, the price seems damn reasonable. Thanks a lot.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Now that you've got that covered... have you considered surround sound and a 2.35:1 screen?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Now that you've got that covered... have you considered surround sound and a 2.35:1 screen?

Surround sound is going to be lackluster at the moment, coming out of my logitech z300's, and my budget isn't going to allow me to upgrade my speakers AND get the projector. Mind you, they aren't bad speakers, just not what you'd think of throwing in a home theater set-up.

However, on the topic of screens, any specific brands you recommend?

Edit: Does it make sense - as a fairly heavy gamer - to invest in a 2.35:1 screen? I know a lot of movies are displayed in higher ratios like 2.35:1, but with gaming the industry-wide standard is pretty much hard-set at 16:9.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, for the budget minded, it would be very difficult to go the 2.35:1 route. The extra stuff needed for the setup are often expensive.
    As for screens, do you want something that audio passes through, or will you mount the speakers not behind the screen?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, for the budget minded, it would be very difficult to go the 2.35:1 route. The extra stuff needed for the setup are often expensive.
    As for screens, do you want something that audio passes through, or will you mount the speakers not behind the screen?

I haven't thought about that too much, too be honest. I probably will just mount the center speaker above or below the screen. I've got the space to do so in either case. I imagine screens that facilitate audio pass-through are probably more expensive, anyhow.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    They are, but some people have their preferences. Your best bet might be to treat and paint the wall instead of using a screen. I can't think of any specific colors or paints to recomend, but I would certainly research that.
    Since you will probably be projecting a large image, why not look for 1080?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They are, but some people have their preferences. Your best bet might be to treat and paint the wall instead of using a screen. I can't think of any specific colors or paints to recomend, but I would certainly research that.
    Since you will probably be projecting a large image, why not look for 1080?

I'm guessing it's because 1080p projectors are hideously expensive.

Anyway, AVSforum probably knows what blend of special paint to use.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Projector Central has a lot of extensive reviews. They also have a nifty throw distance/zoom/brightness calculator. I ended up getting the Panasonic PT-AE2000U, which they say is the best 1080p projector under $5000 (and it's $2700). I'm going to order it and see how it looks on bare wall/ white screen/ gray screen and decide on what kind of screen to construct if any.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you're spending $2700 on a projector

please shine it on something other than your bare wall.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Please spend some time over at AVS Forum, for screens: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=23

They agonize over this crap like G&T does over NPD numbers. Really, the best resource on the web for anything a/v.

tachyon on
  • Options
    soneejsoneej __BANNED USERS new member
    edited February 2008
    Kinda depends on the "iTunes video" file. Is it a video you purchased through the iTunes Store?

soneej on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Using a special paint blend on your wall is about as good as getting a stationary screen.

Now if you're shining it against whatever random semi-gloss bumpy-ass shit that was already there, well, yeah.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    FatmanGamesFatmanGames Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

Using a special paint blend on your wall is about as good as getting a stationary screen.

Now if you're shining it against whatever random semi-gloss bumpy-ass shit that was already there, well, yeah.

Big'ed for clarity on original post.

(no, I'm not really this big a dick, I just thought it was funny)

On Topic: Projectors can be full of win. Just be sure that you're aware of the bulb-cost trade off. Cheap now, pay later.

FatmanGames on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Well yeah I'm going to try out different paints, sample of the goo systems, etc. If they're noticeably better than the wall I'll use 'em. There's a very good chance that will be the case, but if you can't tell the difference, what's the point?

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.