As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So I started school in January D:

minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I started school in January because the asshole principal decided to let an inbred piece of shit with anger management and drug problems in as opposed to me.

I actually thought I would enroll the year after, because of obvious reasons of missing more than two months of school.

Predictably, my grades are failing, I am stressed out, have no friends, those fucking morons are making fun of me "behind my back", ie right next to me, as loud as possible, I am unable to hear the teachers due to oversensitive hearing, my parents have to spend thousands of dollars to get me tutored in Algebra 1 because I missed the beginning of the year review, and the school hates homeschool, now the tutoring service is attempting to blackmail us because we ended a previous math-for-credit session before the final exam, my parents are in total denial of the amount of shit I am in, none of my teachers were willing in any capacity to help me, I am only passing New Mexico History, I am undoubtedly going to be shoved in with the behaviour mod classes again(five fucking years of being next to crackheads, violent inbreds, racists, and emos, and not getting taught a single thing the entire yearD:), frankly, its as if two years of homeschool ended up with me worse off than if I had stayed in behaviour mod, being given the newest ritalin replacement that turns out to have the exact same effect, but with but with more deletorious effect, at least there I didnt get my hopes up.

And there is no amount of work in the world that can help me, the English reports all have the same extremely vague goals, with no template or starting point for any of them other than the grading rubric, the teachers actively hate me due to my inability to do the math work, and thus my "boycott" of work I was not getting any help with, and never learned how to do, and was being graded on handwriting(I have no fine motor control whatsoever) the insults have increased sevenfold, the Science teacher is retarded, having not graded a single thing the entire month, and my mother, was informed, behind my back, that I was failing all but one of my classes, including the electives D:, I was not even told the number scores.

Is there any way for me to fix any of my problems?

minigunwielder on

Posts

  • Options
    Mort sur la rueMort sur la rue __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Get the fuck out of there.

    Mort sur la rue on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Being a teacher myself for disadvantaged kids, the most I can say is that in such a negative situation, probably the first and easiest thing to change is yourself. A lot of the problematic things you are mentioning become highly magnified when you have a negative attitude about them - I know, it's kind of a D-bag thing to say, because it sucks to be swamped with a bunch of crap that is out of your control. The thing is, it will become a vicious circle if you let it, and people often don't like dealing with others who are constantly negative - lord knows there are kids who even I wanted to strangle for being outright dicks to me whilst being completely defeatist about why they were doing it, but knowing their home situation at least helped me understand it.

    We are not always in control of what happens to us, but we can control our reaction. Along the same lines, we choose whether we let fate victimize us or not.

    More realistically, your teachers may or may not "hate" you because you boycott work you don't understand - I know as a teacher that I'm less inclined to want to be helpful to students who don't want to help themselves because I only have so much time in the day to offer individualized attention. Teachers are people too, some are genuinely great people, some are very ugly and unpleasant, and some do their best but have probably chosen the wrong profession. Your best option is to talk to any teachers who you feel would best listen, and get your parents involved (if they can). Explain your situation, including that you are constantly distracted and that you are having trouble catching up from where you were started. Math is almost unanimously difficult, so many teachers and schools are prepared to offer a little extra help; do your best to ask the teacher or see if their is a tutoring program at your school. If, after talking to teachers and your parents (perhaps even together in a meeting), you're still being brushed aside, then you may have to escalate and talk to school administration, or honestly consider a different school

    Insults and bullying, unfortunately, are a pretty common feature of being a student at a public school, and many adults working at school recognize them as so commonplace that they become trivialized in their mind, which - when combined with the fact that adults typically don't insult each other directly and are not likely to see an insult from an inferior (in this case anyone significantly younger than them) as threatening - means that it is tough to address. It's a systemic problem with American youth, and I really have no idea what to do about it, other than saying that very many people go through it and that it will end eventually. Doesn't help at all while you're going through it, I know.

    Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Breath.


    These problems are YOUR problems, stop trying to blame them on other people. Calling your principal and asshole and calling everyone inbred hicks isn't getting you anywhere. Attack one problem at a time.

    Get off the internet, study. Quit being so negative about your projects. Just because you don't like your assignments, doesn't give you an excuse NOT to do them. Figure out what the objective is. In my experience, assignments are given for a reason, I'm sure theres a reason you are doing it, even if you don't think there is.

    Otherwise, talk to your parents and figure something out.
    The world ISN'T against you, kids are assholes sometimes, there really isn't much that can be done that won't make it worse. Unless a teacher or adult sees this harassment happen, nothing is going to be done. You can tell on them, but that usually just makes it worse.

    Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Breath.


    These problems are YOUR problems, stop trying to blame them on other people. Calling your principal and asshole and calling everyone inbred hicks isn't getting you anywhere. Attack one problem at a time.


    I know that there's a chance that your post came out the way it did just because you were venting, but I got the impression that you have the attitude that nothing's your fault. That 'me against them' attitude will get you in just as much trouble as teachers that don't care, ass hole principals, and inbred hicks.

    noir_blood on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Breath.


    These problems are YOUR problems, stop trying to blame them on other people. Calling your principal and asshole and calling everyone inbred hicks isn't getting you anywhere. Attack one problem at a time.


    I know that there's a chance that your post came out the way it did just because you were venting, but I got the impression that you have the attitude that nothing's your fault. That 'me against them' attitude will get you in just as much trouble as teachers that don't care, ass hole principals, and inbred hicks.

    Yeah, pretty much. Unless youre telling everyone theyre a bunch of losers and inbred hicks to their face, i really doubt anyone actually hates you, it just seems you probably havent made the effort to actually meet anyone or talk to anyone, because you hated them before you got there.

    Seriously, theres probably upwards of 1000 other people at this school, and most of them are doing just peachy keen.

    It actually sounds to me like you have it pretty well off despite your shit attitude to everything around you. Youre failing classes so your parents spend money to get you extra help. Most peoples parents would just say "Work harder" and leave it at that. So atleast theyre taking an interest in your education. Same thing goes with the teacher informing your parents "behind your back" about you failing. Im going to guess youre under the age of majority, so thats well within their rights. They probably also notice your shit attitude and just wanted to make sure youre not going to kill yourself or something stupid.

    So heres my advice. Stop bitching about how everyones out to get you. Theyre not. Theyll offer help if they feel you actually want it. Why would a teacher go out of their way to assist you if youve got a fucking awful attitude, when theyve probably already got a long line of dumb-but-willing kids who actually do want the help?

    Second, ignore the people who make fun of you. When i was in school i had a lot of friends, i could hang out with any sort of crowd, and guess what? I STILL got made fun of by people who were dicks. It happens to EVERYBODY. Youre not special and i can damn well garuntee theyre not singling you out. Even if youre dressing like an asshole, or have blue hair, or whatever, and trying to get a rise out of people, there are OTHER people at your highschool who are doing the same thing, and theyd probably want to hang out with you if you werent such a dick. Hell theres probably some kid on the football team who could be your friend, or one of the stoners, or whatever, if only you werent coming off as horribly abbrasive. Attitude goes a long way in meeting new people, and yours, again, is shit.

    Lastly, do the fucking work or dont complain about failing. Youre protesting the fact that theres no clear outline for an ENGLISH paper? Let me give you a reality news flash: In the real world, you wont always have a perfectly understandable outline of what needs to be done. Life doesnt work like that. Youre going to have to make decisions for yourself, and follow instructions as well as you can, and most importantly, ASK QUESTIONS if anything doesnt make any sense. So youre not sure what to write your paper on, brilliant idea here, maybe ask the teacher? Theyre going to be the ones who know what theyre expecting to get back, so if you feel the assignment is worded poorly or you just dont understand whats being asked of you, ASK THEM. This is really good preparation for real life, because when you have a job, and youre asked to do something, you cant just not do it because you didnt understand what was asked. That will get you fired.

    Basically, in summary, stop being a martyr. You might actually get somewhere in life.

    Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Uhh, no, the principal really is an asshole, the counsellor is not the sort of guy I can actually explain shit to without my much more socially comfortable mother being there to correct my speech, the teachers are far to busy doing simple shit that we would be done with if they let us have the books
    (we are not allowed to take the books home and do work in advance, so I have to deal with shouting retards who give me migraines due to my CAPD, and attempt to learn whatever the fuck it is that the current lesson is, over these morons who I hear from the other side of the class, over the teacher, when I am right next to him.)


    The only class where I can hear the teacher, is of course, the easiest one, which I have taken from third grade to now every year, is New Mexico History, the English teacher may or may not be running off of a particular book or just pulling it out of her ass, I havent been given any of the books that the rest of the class has, I have had no accomadation for handwriting, and feel that that contributes(seriously, this state thought that I was retarded because of my poor handwriting, not taking into account that I was tutoring fifth grade reading in first, and reading at college level, Math has either been tedious or I miss something significant and D:

    The "Freshman Academy" is designed to contain the addicts who are only there because they think they're going to work oilfield when they turn eighteen but have the pesky problem of people making sure that they actually go to school, is pretty much filled with douchebags, and of course, I got dumped down a grade, and now have to share a building with a literally inbred douchebag, whose face is literally falling off D:, whose mother is in jail for running a meth lab, macing a cop, and then spitting in his eyes, needless to say, he was the reason I was homeschooled for two years, this is supposed to be the best high-school in the county(yeah, not saying much, I secretly harbored hopes of moving to Santa Fe with my older brother, his wife, and kids, and going to school there)

    My entire plan, academically, from the first grade(we are really only here because of mom's health, and the fact that we can live comfortably on her fixed income here), is to get out of this hellhole, It has been, from the start, my goal to get back to Princeton(I lived in Monroe Township), go to Peddy on a scholarship, then automatically go to Princeton, I am not some douchebag blaming everyone else for his problems, I am a has-been honor student/ladies man/teachers pet/six-year old who had an M.I.T. professor backing him up, who has no idea what the fuck just happened, why he cant take the books home to actually study, and why he's gone from the guy who got the "cool kids" their pity-dates(before you ask, I do deeply regret doing this for them), to a total loser.

    minigunwielder on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The only class where I can hear the teacher, is of course, the easiest one, which I have taken from third grade to now every year, is New Mexico History

    What school teaches new mexico history every year from 3rd grade through high school?

    Daenris on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You're a douchebag.

    I honestly gave you the benefit of the doubt with your first post, thinking you were venting. But you took the advice of everyone that posted, all pretty much saying to try to fix your attitude, and you just decided to to ignore it and continue to go on a rant of how everyone else sucks compare to you. If the way you write on here is actually how you act, then you deserve everything that you got coming to you.

    Okay, so they don't let people take the books home. You obviously have internet, if you needed to study you could do it through that. You're not the only one that can't take them home right? Somehow others manage, what makes them different? Stay after school and study, talk to your teachers(try not to insult them if you can) and explain to them that you work best with the book. Maybe photocopy the chapters as you go by?

    There's always options. They might not be easy, but they're there.

    noir_blood on
  • Options
    locomotivemanlocomotiveman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just a guess but I think it may be in New Mexico. On the other hand a quick search of the internet shows that it is NOT a required class in 9th grade. That being said it seems that while you're being very emotionally driven here it sounds like this school is violating the ADA by not providing accomadations and not issuing books to students is also very very well odd. It could be they don't know what they are doing, it could be that they are screwing over all the Freshmen Academy students. Quick question is this a public school a private school or some sort of for profit school?

    locomotiveman on
    aquabat wrote:
    I actually worked at work on Saturday. Also I went out on a date with a real life girl.


    Can you like, permanently break the forums?
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I am not some douchebag blaming everyone else for his problems, I am a has-been honor student/ladies man/teachers pet/six-year old who had an M.I.T. professor backing him up

    I'm guessing if you're on medication, then you're in therapy as well? If so, that can help deal with some of your anger and bitterness toward the system you're in right now. Calling people names does nothing but make you come off as juvenile, and not make people particularly interested in helping you.

    Can I ask what you're on Ritalin for?

    RocketSauce on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »

    There's always options. They might not be easy, but they're there.

    This not only belongs in this thread, but about 80% of the other HA threads on any given day.

    starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just a guess but I think it may be in New Mexico. On the other hand a quick search of the internet shows that it is NOT a required class in 9th grade.

    Yes... my point was more towards the question what school anywhere teaches such a regionally specific history class EVERY YEAR for like 6 years... they should be more general history classes, and every year shouldn't be repeating the same material. In any case, not really on topic to the point anyway I suppose.

    Daenris on
  • Options
    PorkChopSandwichesPorkChopSandwiches Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I started school in January because the asshole principal decided to let an inbred piece of shit with anger management and drug problems in as opposed to me.

    So you're saying you were denied enrollment in the school? Are you saying that this school had only one 'slot open' and you didn't get it? Unlikely.
    I actually thought I would enroll the year after, because of obvious reasons of missing more than two months of school.

    Predictably, my grades are failing,

    What makes this predictable? Is it predictable because you're not working hard, or is it predictable because you started late? If you could predict that you were going to fail these classes, why didn't you sign up for different classes?
    I am stressed out, have no friends, those fucking morons are making fun of me "behind my back", ie right next to me, as loud as possible,

    Perhaps you would have more friends if you didn't believe everyone was a, to use your words, 'fucking moron.'

    [
    I am unable to hear the teachers due to oversensitive hearing,

    Who have you told about this? You need to get a medical special ed. sheet for an actual medical condition. These are legal documents (although they vary by state) that require teachers to make accommodations for people with medical conditions. Teachers can get in serious trouble for not following them. Go see the board of education office about them.
    my parents have to spend thousands of dollars to get me tutored in Algebra 1 because I missed the beginning of the year review, and the school hates homeschool, now the tutoring service is attempting to blackmail us because we ended a previous math-for-credit session before the final exam, my parents are in total denial of the amount of shit I am in, none of my teachers were willing in any capacity to help me,

    I would be very surprised if your teachers are unwilling to help you if you are indeed a hard working, attentive, and well-mannered student. However, if you show up to class with the attitude you show in this post....
    I am only passing New Mexico History, I am undoubtedly going to be shoved in with the behaviour mod classes again(five fucking years of being next to crackheads, violent inbreds, racists, and emos, and not getting taught a single thing the entire yearD:), frankly, its as if two years of homeschool ended up with me worse off than if I had stayed in behaviour mod, being given the newest ritalin replacement that turns out to have the exact same effect, but with but with more deletorious effect, at least there I didnt get my hopes up.

    And there is no amount of work in the world that can help me, the English reports all have the same extremely vague goals, with no template or starting point for any of them other than the grading rubric, the teachers actively hate me due to my inability to do the math work, and thus my "boycott" of work I was not getting any help with, and never learned how to do,

    Did you approach them for help before you boycotted work, or did you boycott work and then expect the teacher to get you caught up?

    and was being graded on handwriting(I have no fine motor control whatsoever)

    Again, medical problem. If it is indeed a verifiable medical problem, then you need to have an accomodation based on it.
    the insults have increased sevenfold, the Science teacher is retarded, having not graded a single thing the entire month, and my mother, was informed, behind my back, that I was failing all but one of my classes, including the electives D:, I was not even told the number scores.

    Your mom was informed because she had a right to be informed. It was not done "behind your back", it was done exactly how it should be done. In the place I teach, parents can access their students grade "behind their back" via internet any time they want. Unfortunately, most of the parents that check their student's grades are exactly the parents who don't really need to.


    Is there any way for me to fix any of my problems?

    Yes, fix your attitude, get ready to do a lot of work, be a kind, attentive student, treat the people around you how you would like to be treated, do every bit of work that is assigned to you, never miss a day of school, use the money that your parents are spending on tutoring to go ahead and purchase a copy of the textbooks you need if you can't take them home, and be proactive.
    In the real world, you have to work to fix your problems. It is not your teachers' job to force you to work.

    PorkChopSandwiches on
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Alright, fuck this, someone lock this thread, you douchebags cant seem to understand that I was nice, I have been sociable, courteous, and respectful, I have asked the teachers for help, and I have been doing everything possible to get this shit done, but I can't take the goddamn books home, whenever I try to they threaten to call campus cops, even when I get a note, obviously you fuckwits do not in fact give a shit about helping me and instead want to bitch and moan about how inferior I am in order to make your day better.

    minigunwielder on
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I am not some douchebag blaming everyone else for his problems, I am a has-been honor student/ladies man/teachers pet/six-year old who had an M.I.T. professor backing him up

    I'm guessing if you're on medication, then you're in therapy as well? If so, that can help deal with some of your anger and bitterness toward the system you're in right now. Calling people names does nothing but make you come off as juvenile, and not make people particularly interested in helping you.

    Can I ask what you're on Ritalin for?

    "ADHD"

    I was assigned Stratera by a mixed grades teacher in the worst school in town.

    minigunwielder on
  • Options
    PorkChopSandwichesPorkChopSandwiches Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    1. Why can't you just buy your own copies of the books?
    2. Your teacher "assigned" you a prescription drug?

    Thanks for calling us douchebags.

    PorkChopSandwiches on
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I started school in January because the asshole principal decided to let an inbred piece of shit with anger management and drug problems in as opposed to me.

    So you're saying you were denied enrollment in the school? Are you saying that this school had only one 'slot open' and you didn't get it? Unlikely.

    No, this is a PUBLIC school, at the beginning of the year, they said theyll get right on it, and they would phone us, fast forward two months, I missed a weeks worth of review, and almost two months worth of "real" school, the science teacher is grading me on October through December's work, I cant take the books home, and I am unable to make up any of the work I missed because I enrolled in January, and they are not helping me with a single thing.

    minigunwielder on
  • Options
    PorkChopSandwichesPorkChopSandwiches Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I started school in January because the asshole principal decided to let an inbred piece of shit with anger management and drug problems in as opposed to me.

    So you're saying you were denied enrollment in the school? Are you saying that this school had only one 'slot open' and you didn't get it? Unlikely.

    No, this is a PUBLIC school, at the beginning of the year, they said theyll get right on it, and they would phone us, fast forward two months, I missed a weeks worth of review, and almost two months worth of "real" school, the science teacher is grading me on October through December's work, I cant take the books home, and I am unable to make up any of the work I missed because I enrolled in January, and they are not helping me with a single thing.

    Good. Dialogue. Now we can get to work on this.

    If you were not enrolled until January, the science teacher can't legally grade you for that period unless you transferred from another school system, in which case your current grades would have transerred. This would be something you would need to have your parents take up with the principal. When it comes to dealing with school administration, parents have a lot more power than you do. If they are willing, get them involved.

    PorkChopSandwiches on
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    1. Why can't you just buy your own copies of the books?
    2. Your teacher "assigned" you a prescription drug?

    Yes, essentially she went behind the back of my pediatricians, (I was deaf until age 3, docs like that sort of "sucess story"), my counsellor for Jason Project, and declared that I needed tmedication, my mother, having experienced this trap before had no choice, then I begin bleeding in my stomach, and had all sort of godawful side effects, my balance was awful, the fluorescent lighting hurt my eyes, and I felt like a walking corpse.

    Behaviour mod it was.D:

    minigunwielder on
  • Options
    PorkChopSandwichesPorkChopSandwiches Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    1. Why can't you just buy your own copies of the books?
    2. Your teacher "assigned" you a prescription drug?

    Yes, essentially she went behind the back of my pediatricians, (I was deaf until age 3, docs like that sort of "sucess story"), my counsellor for Jason Project, and declared that I needed tmedication, my mother, having experienced this trap before had no choice, then I begin bleeding in my stomach, and had all sort of godawful side effects, my balance was awful, the fluorescent lighting hurt my eyes, and I felt like a walking corpse.

    Behaviour mod it was.D:

    Who actually prescribed the medication?

    Did they place your in a behavior modified class after the medication proved to be too disruptive, or while you were on the medication? Were any other meds tried?

    PorkChopSandwiches on
  • Options
    SpecularitySpecularity Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    MinigunWielder, please realize that nobody here is trying to insult you; rather, look at it like "tough love."

    It sounds like your mother, at least, really cares about your success here. Even if you see it as "going behind [your] back," at least she's making an effort, which is more than can be said of a great many parents. Why don't you recruit her to help you out? That is, ask her to be a middleman for some dialogue with teachers, administrators, etc. You mentioned a fixed income, so perhaps buying a textbook wouldn't be an option, but would any teachers let you stay after school a bit to study, or to give you some one-on-one time? And if you're not comfortable asking them, ask your mom to get in touch with them.

    I know it seems like the administration is evil, and, well, they're only human so maybe they aren't the greatest people around. However, there's always more people on the staff and faculty that you can work with -- our principal, when I was in high school, really wasn't a terribly personable person. However, the Assistant Principal was a totally awesome guy. I hated some of my teachers, but some of them were fantastic. Do try and connect with some of these people!

    It makes sense that you may not be able to take the books home; a lot of schools simply don't have the finances to purchase a book for every student. However, there are still successful students despite that.

    I'm really curious, though, about them not getting in touch with you for two months (well, first of all, what happened to Sept/Oct? Wasn't last semester, like, four months?). If that's true, then the school sounds extremely shady, and should probably be looked into; school districts are usually really good about getting in touch with people! However, why weren't you being homeschooled for those months so that you wouldn't be so far behind? And if you were homeschooled, wouldn't you have the resources to help you catch up?

    Specularity on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So you're in high school? Just checking because at first I thought you were in college and had started one quarter late.

    LadyM on
  • Options
    grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That hearing trouble thing is giving me fits (I'm starting out in teaching and above all the need to accomodate students with difficulties like this has been drilled into us non-stop).

    It seems that this is a DOCUMENTED medical issue. If you don't already, you need to get whatever the NM equivalent of California's "504" is and make sure they follow it. The school is legally required to meet with you and your parent/guardian to figure out what accomodations need to be made. Then they have to follow them. If they don't follow them? Lawsuit (assuming you're not a dick and actually give them fair warning that they're not living up to the agreement). If they don't let you meet in the first place to get one? Lawsuit. Trust me, they don't want that. If you get permission to bring books home and then are hassled by security who ignore your note? Lawsuit (again, try to complain to the school first out of good will).

    And statistically every teacher there can't be that big of a dick - try to reason with someone and explain your problem. Vague directions? Don't wait until it's due and say "these directions suck that's why I didn't do the assignment." Make an appointment to see them after/before class and ask them to clarify stuff or show you an example. Rubrics help but even those can be really confusing - they might be too busy to hold your hand every step of the way, but it's a REALLY crappy teacher who won't, if asked, take a look at your work in progress and give you some indication as to whether you're on the right track.

    Ignore idiot students. I had a REALLY tough time in junior high. The only thing I learned in my time there was how to fight kids who were much bigger than me and/or that ganged up on me. I can actually understand how somebody can get pushed so far that they do some of that horrible stuff that makes the news. I'm glad there were people who told me that everything gets better. I didn't always believe it but I repeated it in my head anyway, and it helped. There can also be a big difference between complaining about other kids' behavior during class (Make so-and-so stop distracting me!) and coming to the teacher outside of class and asking to be moved because of another student or letting them know what's going on. They can do a lot more when they don't have to stop everything they're doing during class and don't have to worry about encouraging other students to come up with frivolous problems to interrupt lessons.

    As far as English classes go, you seem to write better than some of my old clients who were paid too much JUST to write news releases, let alone high school students. If you have trouble explaining your concerns in person to a teacher or offical, try writing it down (it's especially helpful to write it down and look at it a few different times to make sure it's worded right and doesn't come off as hostile). Like anybody under 25, your frontal lobe isn't finished growing and adults tend to forget how hard it is to deal with frustration and delay gratification (like sticking to a study schedule), and that not all academic problems come from academic shortcomings. I was a bona-fide genius and still almost failed classes because I couldn't deal with my relationship with a stupid crazy girl. It helps to be and appear sincere in your desire to do better and not "take advantage" of any allowances that are made to help you out in the first place. Some teachers can get really bitter from being lied to by so many students in order to get less work that they might not take your problems and requests to fix them as seriously as they should. Being understanding goes a REALLY LONG WAY, too - there's a big difference between "I can't do this, you need to explain it better" and "Hey, I know you're busy and there's a ton of students, but I'm having a hard time with this. Is there any way I can get some help from you at a certain time?"

    PS: If a teacher tells you that you need to be taking a certain medication, or even diagnoses you with something, they make the school responsible for paying for whatever medication or treatment you end up actually needing. They are NEVER supposed to do that (not that they should anyway, as they're not friggin' doctors). If there have been as many flagrant violations of the law as there seem to have been according to your posts, you seem to stand a pretty good chance of being able to retire on the massive amounts of money that should be awarded to you in a lawsuit. Get everything on record and in writing.

    grendel824_ on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm guessing that if you're in the behavior mod class, you are on an IEP. There is no reason you and your mom can't request an IEP meeting and discuss the ability to have you bring your books home.

    RocketSauce on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    1. Why can't you just buy your own copies of the books?
    2. Your teacher "assigned" you a prescription drug?

    Yes, essentially she went behind the back of my pediatricians, (I was deaf until age 3, docs like that sort of "sucess story"), my counsellor for Jason Project, and declared that I needed tmedication, my mother, having experienced this trap before had no choice, then I begin bleeding in my stomach, and had all sort of godawful side effects, my balance was awful, the fluorescent lighting hurt my eyes, and I felt like a walking corpse.

    Behaviour mod it was.D:

    So...

    I don't know how it works in crazytown, but only a physician can prescribe medication. Unless the teacher went to the pharmacy and heisted a bunch of pills at gunpoint and then forced you to take them, I don't think you're telling us the whole story.

    dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm guessing that if you're in the behavior mod class, you are on an IEP. There is no reason you and your mom can't request an IEP meeting and discuss the ability to have you bring your books home.

    this is pretty much it. if you can claim a need to bring books home due to an IEP, there really isn't anything they can do to prevent you from doing it, legally. the school's hands will be tied.

    Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Alright, fuck this, someone lock this thread, you douchebags cant seem to understand that I was nice, I have been sociable, courteous, and respectful, I have asked the teachers for help, and I have been doing everything possible to get this shit done, but I can't take the goddamn books home, whenever I try to they threaten to call campus cops, even when I get a note, obviously you fuckwits do not in fact give a shit about helping me and instead want to bitch and moan about how inferior I am in order to make your day better.

    Listen man. Forgive me for not believing what you're telling us is the whole and complete truth. You claim to have been nice, but in like every other post you make in this thread you call the people that are trying to help you and give you good advise "douchebags" and "fuckwits."

    All of your posts are literally dripping with Anger, so it comes as no surprise why people might not want to be completely accommodating to you.

    Look man, the only common denominator in all of these situations is you. At some level the problem lies with you and how you are reacting to the world, and treating people in it. And the only thing that YOU can actively change is yourself. It might not be fun. It might not be easy. But in all honesty its the only factor that you have complete-100% control over. Trust me, once you start to exercise that control things will be a lot better for you.

    DharmaBum on
Sign In or Register to comment.