As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

360 cooling, what ya using?

HaterotHaterot Registered User regular
So I received my 360 for Christmas and have read enough RRoD stories that I need to be proactive against it's bricking. Right now it sets on top of my desk in the open plenty of air. I have read the stories of the NyKo intercoolers and a few other cooling systems, even using laptop cooling pads, and what i want to know is what most people are using with good results.

steam_sig.png
Haterot on

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Haterot wrote: »
    So I received my 360 for Christmas and have read enough RRoD stories that I need to be proactive against it's bricking. Right now it sets on top of my desk in the open plenty of air. I have read the stories of the NyKo intercoolers and a few other cooling systems, even using laptop cooling pads, and what i want to know is what most people are using with good results.

Air flow. Have the 360 out in the open.

Stay the holy fuck away from pretty much everything. If it's going to brick, it's going to brick.

If it's a newer one, odds are it won't provided you don't wrap it in a blanket and lock it in a closet.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ^ thread over pretty much

the only thing I would advocate is a method of getting more fresh air to the area around the 360... my cousin uses a couple fans in the back of his entertainment cabinet

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Stay the holy fuck away from pretty much everything.

Ok, that there is funny. I think I stopped breathing I was laughing to hard.

Haterot on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Keep it horizontal and give it plenty of air. Do NOT put it on the carpet or run it in a closed cabinet. You can put it on a lap top cooling stand if you want but don't waste a fortune on one if you don't already own one.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yup. Use common sense and no dodgy aftermarket accessories. If you have it in an entertainment center type thing, keep it as far from heat-producing components (like receivers, which can be like space heaters) as possible. If you have to stack it, stack it on top of something that is turned off when the 360 is on. If you're still worried about heat, or maybe you know your setup isn't optimal, you can get a small, quiet desk fan to point at it. I wouldn't say this is necessary by any means, though.

Summing up:

1) Horizontal.
    2) On a hard, flat surface; not carpet.
    3) Lots of space above and behind it for air flow.
    4) Not too near any other heat-producing component.
    5) Air conditioned room (if possible).
    6) Still concerned about heat or airflow? Point a small fan at it.
    7) Don't leave it running longer than you have to.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I can attest to this. I bought into getting one of those Nyko coolers. It made everything louder, but I convinced myself that I could live with it if it made my 360 last longer. At some point, I started to get RRODs fairly regularly. Eventually I got fed up and with it and unhooked the cooler. Not only is it so much quieter now (in comparison) but I haven't had a RROD since.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've got a newer 360, and I'm not terribly worried about overheating, but I've taken a few steps to prolong its life.

1) I routinely dust the area around the console.

2) I use disposable AAs mostly in my controllers, not the Play & Charge Kit. Might get the standalone charger.

3) I bought an old XBox for my originals. Figure it'll save a lot of hours of wear on the 360.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    londonwhittedlondonwhitted Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Same as the last guy i dust often.

also i put little rubber feet under all my stuff (360,receiver, ps3, etc) and that creates about n extra inch of space to let air roll thru and it makes it look like the 360 is floating. O_o

i think they for 50 cents at home depot for 4 of em

londonwhitted on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Same as the last guy i dust often.

also i put little rubber feet under all my stuff (360,receiver, ps3, etc) and that creates about n extra inch of space to let air roll thru and it makes it look like the 360 is floating. O_o

i think they for 50 cents at home depot for 4 of em

Damn, that's not a bad idea. What section of the place were they in? I think I'll get some for mine. Right now Mine is in one of the pockets of this, this entertainment center. I have the brick powersupply hiding behind the LCD TV though because when they both were in the pocket it got rather warm in there.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok So Im dusting and I found a book, about 3 inches tall (Dreamweaver bible, heh) which I used as a stand, the vent holes fit nicely on each side so theres tons of air circulation. Now if I can figure out how to get the ambient temp to come down in my room. 50" Plasma does not help with the cooling effect.

Haterot on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I've seen a lot of love for the horizontal position. If mine is WAY out in the open (top shelf of an entertainment unit, not walls/ceiling around it. Nearest thing to it is the Wii about 6-8 inches to one side, is it still a bad thing for it to be vertical? What's the general consensus?

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I've seen a lot of love for the horizontal position. If mine is WAY out in the open (top shelf of an entertainment unit, not walls/ceiling around it. Nearest thing to it is the Wii about 6-8 inches to one side, is it still a bad thing for it to be vertical? What's the general consensus?

The horizontal position allows for better air flow in the 360. It also keep the DVD drive level so there is less wear on the drive and less chance of a disc grinding. It's just safer for the mother board as well. The solder is lead free so it can become brittle when hot. Meaning if you run your 360 for long periods of time (I did), it can loosen or just break if the 360 somehow falls over. Horizontal is also easier on the X-clamps that hold the CPU & GPU to the board. Yes the Falcon uses screws on the top instead of X-clamps, but there are still X-clamps (with added springs to keep everything tight) on the bottom.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    Don PedroDon Pedro Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tiemler wrote: »
    I've got a newer 360, and I'm not terribly worried about overheating, but I've taken a few steps to prolong its life.

1) I routinely dust the area around the console.

2) I use disposable AAs mostly in my controllers, not the Play & Charge Kit. Might get the standalone charger.

3) I bought an old XBox for my originals. Figure it'll save a lot of hours of wear on the 360.

On number 2, is there something wrong with the play and charge kit? How does it affect the life of the 360?

Don Pedro on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think he's just talking about the power it can draw... but really it's no big deal. No bigger than a wired controller.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Speaking of air flow, the thing is molded to sit on top of the original Xbox. Anybody try this method? The air vents are on the sides, so I wouldn't imagine it affects air flow one way or the other.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2008
    I think he's just talking about the power it can draw... but really it's no big deal. No bigger than a wired controller.

Technically it would draw more power than a wired controller, since it's drawing power not only to run the controller but to charge it, as well. Still, the additional power drawn is pretty insignificant.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Bill NyeBill Nye Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Antec Laptop Cooler

I picked this up yesterday to sit under my 360 to help cool it. I was wanting to get it in before starting my long game sessions of Lost Odyssey. Mass Effect killed my first 360. I got a Arcade with the HDMI over Thanksgiving and want this one to last.

Bill Nye on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I got that Niko 360 cooler thing on the back of mine, after my xbox bricked twice. Seems to be helping alot.

precisionk on