As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii - On Shooting Things and Laser Sights and BLAM how is Ghost Squad anyway?

apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
Recently I've been playing Umbrella Chronices with my Wii Zapper and its been a lot of fun. I don't care what Yahtzee says about the stupid RE story I've got me a gun and some zombies and thats a sure fire recipe for awesome.

In the store last night I noticed a pistol-shaped chassis for the Wiimote that advertised a "laser sight". But one thing I've noticed about Link's Crossbow Training and Umbrella Chronicles is that there is no 1:1 connection between where I point and where the reticle moves. The further I go out from the center of the screen the more the cursor deviates from where I'm actually pointing the Wiimote.

So, are manufacturers stupid? Am I doing something wrong?

Also, hot on the heels of blowing up zombies and hyrulian things, is Ghost Squad worth it?

猿も木から落ちる
apotheos on

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There's no 1:1 without calibration because the Wiimote goes from the IR sensor, not the screen.

Ghost Squad is an.... ok-ish game. But it does have a calibration thing.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Svelte PenguinSvelte Penguin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You can beat ghost squad in 30 minutes. Me and the wife played through it 4 times trying to unlock the various side paths in the 3 levels in the game in a couple of hours. It started getting boring after that. A rental for sure, in my opinion. It is fun though, for those 2 hours. You can calibrate Ghost Squad based on your position and then play without the targeting reticle, light gun style.

Svelte Penguin on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    1:1 calibration does work providing you don't move around too much (Like keep switching place on the couch). I've played Ghost Squad on a variety of screens and it works fine.

Think about it, ok when you point the wiimote at the screen, it doesn't work 1 to 1 but the sensor bar SEES the wiimote pointing at the same point. It doesn't alter. Therefore if you calibrate all four corners of the screen it can easily figure out where it should be.

TV:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxO H
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

See above. When you point 1:1 at "O" on the above tv screen, the wiimote actually has the pointer off screen at H. When it's told H is the corner of the screen (and you do the other four corners), it essentially knows the tvs location and where the remote should be looking.

Difficult to explain as I'm shit at these things :)

Ghost Squad is awesome fun.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Ghost Squad is awesome. It's only about 30 minutes from start to finish, but has unbelievable replayability. I've probably sunk 10+ hours into it so far. Incredibly cheesy and over the top, you can unlock Paradise Mode (where all the enemies are women in bikinis and you shoot them with water pistols) and Ninja Mode (exactly what it sounds like, and you shoot with throwing stars). Progressing through the normal story mode, you unlock different path options, and as you do better, enemy patterns start changing up. Calibration is available which gives it an almost 1:1 feel, and you get all this for a mere $30.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm correct that Umbrella Chronicles and Links Target Practice don't have a calibration mode, right?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    I'm correct that Umbrella Chronicles and Links Target Practice don't have a calibration mode, right?

Yeah, it's down to the dev to put it in and they didn't bother. House of the Dead 3 (And 2) is supposed to have it though (when released)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I love Ghost Squad but I managed to find it on clearance at Target for 9.99 so I'm probably not as critical as I might be if I paid full price :)

Do you feel the Resident Evil game is worth the asking price? I've seen all the levels in Link, almost taken all the paths in Ghost Squad, and was looking for something else to play with the Zapper.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Recently I've been playing Umbrella Chronices with my Wii Zapper and its been a lot of fun. I don't care what Yahtzee says about the stupid RE story I've got me a gun and some zombies and thats a sure fire recipe for awesome.

In the store last night I noticed a pistol-shaped chassis for the Wiimote that advertised a "laser sight". But one thing I've noticed about Link's Crossbow Training and Umbrella Chronicles is that there is no 1:1 connection between where I point and where the reticle moves. The further I go out from the center of the screen the more the cursor deviates from where I'm actually pointing the Wiimote.

So, are manufacturers stupid? Am I doing something wrong?

Also, hot on the heels of blowing up zombies and hyrulian things, is Ghost Squad worth it?

umbrella chronicles has by far gotten the most love on my wii despite owning many good games.
    im currently trying to S-class everything.

i tried renting ghost squad for a party i threw. it was more like a mash fest than an umbrella chronicles experience. just flashy shooting with a normal gun can do the job making the other weapons "just convenient"
    the levels really do take like 7 mins to beat with 4 players. gets VERY stale. you have to be a big fan of rail shooters to squeeze the milk out of this one, and trust me, i was rubbing those cow tits raw.

i gave the 4 player party experience a thumbs down.
    i didnt get to try a smaller number of people. if you can find this for 14 bucks, its worth the pick up. theres enough goofinees to be worth that. if not, rent it.

delphinus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    S-Class? Shit, I can barely survive.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm thinking about buying some Zappers and games to play with so my wife can play. She loved the time crisis series but they're just so damn expensive.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Herby wrote: »
    I love Ghost Squad but I managed to find it on clearance at Target for 9.99 so I'm probably not as critical as I might be if I paid full price :)

Do you feel the Resident Evil game is worth the asking price? I've seen all the levels in Link, almost taken all the paths in Ghost Squad, and was looking for something else to play with the Zapper.

The RE game is incredible. Especially if you have friends.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What frustrates me most about Umbrella Chronicles, aside from large 2+-minute long swaths of NOTHING as the characters just wander slowly through an empty hallway, is the way the "gun" works. It doesn't track 1:1 and it is annoying.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've been having a ton of fun with Ghost Squad. Unlocking all the stuff is a pain in the butt though. Well worth the price as a good throwback to Operation Wolf or Lethel Enforcers (or Ghost Squad).

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    What frustrates me most about Umbrella Chronicles, aside from large 2+-minute long swaths of NOTHING as the characters just wander slowly through an empty hallway, is the way the "gun" works. It doesn't track 1:1 and it is annoying.

Really now? I know you're exaggerating about the 2+ minutes of nothing (it feels like it at times) but that's what RE is all about. It's about mood and atmosphere.

The 1:1 isn't bad, really. I'm really good at the pointer, so I do really well shooting on this game.

urahonky on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Wii remote can track 4 points (and it does), so technically, if some dev wanted, they could ship a game that used a special 4 point sensor bar for shooting games. Nintendo didn't do this for a few good reasons, but a 3rd party could get right on that for a shooting game with more precise 1:1 control that would work anywhere in a room, provided you were far enough away from the TV.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I love shooters myself, they remind me of so many good days back in the 'cades, and the Wii fit the perfect bill for that kind of game. That said, I can recommend:

Ghost Squad, especially if you nabbed it on the cheap from Target. Fun as hell!
    Re: UC, pretty tough for a shooter, and it revisits most of the games from the series. Kick ass!
    Raving Rabbids? Haha, just kidding, but the plunger shooter mini game is more fun than I thought it would be.

Haven't played Links but I hear it's pretty damn good. I'll probably nab that shortly, but I hear that this peripheral really kicks ass if you want something a little more meaty for your shooters.

Here's a review from the idiots at IGN. Take it for what you will but they gave it a thumbs up, or whatever it is they do. I'm still getting one despite this. :P

It also just LOOKS cool!

31d-tbiJKWL_SS500_.jpg

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Back in November, I saw a Wii-gun add on that actually looked like a pistol when the Wiimote was fitted in. I really, really wanted to get one, but now I can't find anything like it.

Anyone know where I might locate one?

*edit- /facepalm.

Tach on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Link's CT has a bit of calibration you can do, and a test by aiming pointing and then uncovering the camera at the front of the remote has shown to me that it's more accurate and one to one than any bloody light gun game I've used to date.

Rose coloured Specs in my opinion.

Lave II on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    S-Class? Shit, I can barely survive.

heres a tip for bullet/stars grinding.
    grab a second wiimote set them both to style B (where the A button is the fire button)
    overlay them so that the reticles are on top of eachother. make sure your hands and arms are in comfortable positions or else this loses all practicallity. then just play rebecca's missions till you get enough stars to upgrade your shotguns and smgs to their fullest. i only say beckys missions because there are no redeads. this way makes it way easier for concentration, both bullets are taken into account for damage, and no zombie will screw with you when 2 reticles are aimed at their forheads.

dont use the bullets from your special weapons as they will save up and accumulate.

using this method, ive gotten so used to the hand gun, i can kill tyrant with it on single player.

delphinus on
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Wii remote can track 4 points (and it does), so technically, if some dev wanted, they could ship a game that used a special 4 point sensor bar for shooting games. Nintendo didn't do this for a few good reasons, but a 3rd party could get right on that for a shooting game with more precise 1:1 control that would work anywhere in a room, provided you were far enough away from the TV.

Something I've been wondering - how does the new Guncon for the PS3 that ships with Time Crisis 4 work?

That Nyko pistol looks damn sexy. I haven't picked up the Nintendo Zapper yet, and have zero interest in Link's Crossbow Training, but I'd love to pick that up for some Ghost Squad (and later, HoTD) action.

shyguy on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ghost squad is ridiculously fun and very much worth the money... assuming you like old school arcade style light gun games. its got massive replayability for that kind of thing, as well.

man sega needs to release a virtua cop compilation for the wii like stat.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    shyguy wrote: »

Something I've been wondering - how does the new Guncon for the PS3 that ships with Time Crisis 4 work?

Uses two infra-red LEDs. Instead on being in a bar, like the Wii, the LEDs each have their own clips to position them right at the edge of the picture. The upside is that it's a little more accurate than the Wii and requires slightly less calibration. The downside is that its optimum window for use is smaller. And since it uses 2 LEDs (like the Wii) instead of 4, it can't compensate for vertical movement. You'd have to recalibrate if you wanted to sit/stand.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    UnKnown SoldierUnKnown Soldier Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Masume wrote: »
    I love shooters myself, they remind me of so many good days back in the 'cades, and the Wii fit the perfect bill for that kind of game. That said, I can recommend:

Ghost Squad, especially if you nabbed it on the cheap from Target. Fun as hell!
    Re: UC, pretty tough for a shooter, and it revisits most of the games from the series. Kick ass!
    Raving Rabbids? Haha, just kidding, but the plunger shooter mini game is more fun than I thought it would be.

Haven't played Links but I hear it's pretty damn good. I'll probably nab that shortly, but I hear that this peripheral really kicks ass if you want something a little more meaty for your shooters.

Here's a review from the idiots at IGN. Take it for what you will but they gave it a thumbs up, or whatever it is they do. I'm still getting one despite this. :P

It also just LOOKS cool!

31d-tbiJKWL_SS500_.jpg

This.

This so much. I bought ghost squad with this and I love it. It's not perfect, but it you stay in the same position and calibrate it theres really not much difference between it and standard lightguns. The only problem is moving from your spot after you calibrate it.

Ghost Squad is not supposed to be completed like other games where you progress through the story and then its over. there's only 3 missions and the plotline is laughable. It goes something like "presidents been kidnapped ... bad enough dude etc etc". Every time you beat a level it advances a rank. Each rank add's new pathways/ badguys/ objectives etc. For instance you will come to a point in the game where a menu box will come up. Shoot left to disarm the bomb, shoot right to go try and free the hostages. Completing both of these objectives sometimes will yield a new, hidden objective.

However, If you are trying to beat the game, get all the way to the last boss and miss, its game over. You don't get to restart. At any point in the game if you fail your primary objective, its over for that mission, You only have the option of playing the other missions you havent completed. You cannot restart the failed mission and complete it until Then AFTER you beat/fail the other two missions. It will then reset and you can try them all again.

It's more like a pac-man type game where you try for the high score instead of following a story. The game is built around this however and defeating levels will unlock newer versions of those levels. Along with costumes/weapons etc.

Also shooting secret objects and stuff also unlocks new pathways.

Such an awesome game. Now I'm just waiting for the house of the dead collection to come out.

UnKnown Soldier on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Personally, I found Ghost Squad to be a disappointment after playing RE:UC. It's more of a style issue than a quality issue. Ghost Squad is a good port of a fun arcade game - the kind of game you pop out every once in a while, play for a half hour and then set aside - but RE:UC was designed as a console game first and foremost and so it has a ton more levels & depth than your standard arcade gun game.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    MegaManMegaMan The Blue Shooty Guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It actually is possible to achieve pretty close to 1:1 accuracy with the Wiimote, but you have to place the sensor bar in a specific place. Try the instructions and calculator at this site.

For the most part, though, I find 1:1 aiming isn't necessary (and therefore neither is a laser sight) once you orient yourself to a game's controls, which generally takes only a few moments.

MegaMan on
    "Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein
  • Options
    MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    ghost squad is ridiculously fun and very much worth the money... assuming you like old school arcade style light gun games. its got massive replayability for that kind of thing, as well.

man sega needs to release a virtua cop compilation for the wii like stat.
    Yeah I really really like Ghost Squad. 'Beating' the game once isn't really beating it, it's about beating it over and over and over, unlocking new paths within the levels, increasing the difficulty, unlocking new guns and costumes... really fun. And to unlock everything you'll have to replay a ton. It's standard price had been $30, worth it I feel. If you can get it for 10, shit, no-brainer.

Isn't some House of the Dead shit coming too?

I liked Ghost Squad so much I really want to get my hands on RE:UC... but its price is far less nice.

Mashalot on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    MegaMan wrote: »
    It actually is possible to achieve pretty close to 1:1 accuracy with the Wiimote, but you have to place the sensor bar in a specific place. Try the instructions and calculator at this site.

For the most part, though, I find 1:1 aiming isn't necessary (and therefore neither is a laser sight) once you orient yourself to a game's controls, which generally takes only a few moments.

I don't know how true that calculator is, however. I play about 5 ft from my TV (I know, I just don't have enough room in my basement to go any further back) and the size is 50 inches.

It comes out to say that I need to sit about 258.9cm from the TV, and that's about 8 and a half feet away. Well, I guess the more I think about it, that could be true. 258 sounded like a lot, but 8 feet should be about right. Hmm...

urahonky on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ghost Squad is a great game if you know what you're getting - you're getting an arcade lightgun shooter. These things are typically not much longer than 30 or 45 minutes.

But the reason these games are popular is not because you can beat them once and be done with them. No, not unlike arcadey shmups or maybe even racing games and fighting games, beating it once is only the first step. The replay value comes from getting good at these games, and for some people, increasing your high score or achieving Ranks or medals.

As far as Ghost Squad goes from an arcade shooter perspective, it's really quite good.

For the Wii, it transitions quite well. The entire game is intact, plus a few more missions and a lot of unlockable type things.

Every time you play the game, the game will gauge your performance. With improved performance, you increase your 'level' for each Mission.

As you level up in missions, it opens up new branching paths to play through, adding variety and replay value to the game. I've played it tons and have still not managed to unlock every path.

Some branched paths are samey to other routes, but some of them completely change the level or objective. Meaning, some of these branched path really do make it worth unlocking to play through.

But not only that, increasing your level in these Missions also increases the difficulty of the paths - in that, it increases the type of variables y ou have to worry about it.

In some missions you have to clear a room of terrorists. But in the same area on a higher level, you''ll have to clear the area but avoid hitting hostage. Then in the same area on an even higher level, you might have to detain hostages while clearing the room of terrorists.

in some missions you have to defend in hand to hand combat against enemies. In the low levels, you have a lot of time, and have to defend maybe 1 critical point. In later levels, you're give less time, and often have to defend 2 critical points from each enemy in hand to hand.

Sometimes increasing level will increase the number of hostages to detain, the number of terrorists to defend against, the number of mines to disable, etc.

So not only does replaying the game well add more paths to complete, but it increases the variety and difficulty of the paths you've already opened.

On top of that, and the other unlockable stuff, you can also unlock new costumes and new weapons - of which there are TONs - to play the levels with.

The scoring system is actually quite cool as well. You're scored based on a lot more than just the # of enemies killed. First, you're gauged by time to complete; you often don't move on in a level until you kill the enmies or complete the objectives. Do it quickly to decrease time. Secondly, you're gauged on how effectively you complete each Objective, be it clearing out enemies, saving hostages, detaining hostages, backing up your team, being stealthy, sniping, etc etc. Do these well to increase your score, and in less time; fail them and you'll be hit hard in scoring.

But more than that, you're also scored on your accuracy. Yes, that means hits/shots ratio. But you're also scored on how efficient you were. Chest shots are worth more than limb shots, and head shots are worth the most points. Ever notice how you can plug a terrorist a few times before he disappears? That's because scoring your shot efficiency depends on how you shoot the terrorists. 1 headshot may be worth more than 3 leg shots; or 3 chest shots may be more points than 1 head shot. The ideal scenario is to plug the enemies with 2 chest shots and 1 head shot to finish them off. So there's tactical scoring based on shot as well. Oh, and hitting armor and objects counts as a 'miss' - so shooting the final boss's shield with bullets detracts from your overall score.

So yeah, as an arcade rail shooter, GS is actually quite good. To top it all off, it has a calibration allowing you to set up your wii remote for accurate 1:1 aiming. I always take advantage of this, personally, and it works very very well (long as you don't move from your place of calibration). Also, the original arcade game had you shooting with a sub machine gun of sorts - so using the Wii Zapper actually helps bring the game closer to its original format.

Plus the zapper is just comfy for these types of games, and makes calibration easier too.

slash000 on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Somewhat unrelated, but are there plans for a Virtua Cop 3 port? Because I really enjoyed what I've played of it. Accuracy really counts in that game.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Umbrella Chronicles is pretty awesome except for the fact that it is ass-rapingly difficult. I'm told it plays better with that Nyko Perfect Shot thing than with the Zapper.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    so I posted this in H/A but haven't really received any good info:

do you guys know how to fix my zapper if the trigger is sticking

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    This man, known as slash, really knows how to sell arcade lightgun games.

Holy shit, slash!

I think everyone who's in doubt of Ghost Squad but wants to buy an arcade lightgun game is sure to buy it now thanks to your excellent in-depth analysis of Ghost Squad. :)

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think the worst part of UC is that most of the secondary guns seem completely useless. The actual shooting of things part though is really fun. It got a lot easier and more fun once I looked up on gamefaqs how to get critical hits: Apparently the sweet spot is right above right between the eyes, and not a random chance after hitting them anywhere on their head as I once thought.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Arde wrote: »
    slash000 wrote: »
    This man, known as slash, really knows how to sell arcade lightgun games.

Holy shit, slash!

I think everyone who's in doubt of Ghost Squad but wants to buy an arcade lightgun game is sure to buy it now thanks to your excellent in-depth analysis of Ghost Squad. :)

No problem :^:

like I said, it's all about what you're looking for in the game. It's a game that's short in single playthroughs, but it's the kind of thing that's fun to play multiple times to get good at it, kind of like other arcadey games like shmups or something. And it's only $30, so it's not like you're breaking your wallet even if you only spend a few hours playing it.

Umbrella Chronicles is pretty awesome except for the fact that it is ass-rapingly difficult. I'm told it plays better with that Nyko Perfect Shot thing than with the Zapper.

Actually, once you've upgraded your weapons, and know what some decent strategies are, RE:UC actually gets pretty easy.

I thought that the rooftop battle with Nemesis was hard as shit the first time I played it. But after I had an upgraded uzi and upgraded assault shotgun, that battle became a breeze.

Because, going with that example, you can use fast-shooting weapons to break enemies' offensive attacks. Then when you get close (like when he grabs you), you can unload on his face with the very powerful shotgun. When he's at a distance, getting 3 good grenades can take off half his health with no effort. And when he lands after his jump, hitting him with the rocket launcher that you get from the level takes off another huge chunk. His tentacles are prevented from attacking you easily by spraying their underground rock trail. So it just becomes a matter of spraying his attack routines to prevent him from hurting you, then unloading with the shotgun when you get close, and chucking grenades/shooting RL when he's at a distance and not moving.

All of the bosses in the game have patterns like this that can be taken greatly advantage of once you know how to deal with them.

I, for one, was on a mission to S-rank every scenario. I'm about half way there, with mostly A ranks on the other ones, but then I got No More Heroes and MOHH2 to play, so, I"ve been playing those for a while. I intend to go back to REUC when I get the chance and S rank the remaining levels.

What gets me is the damn hidden Files. Fortunately, once you grab those a single time, you never have to grab them again to S or A rank the level.

Also, Protip:

"Enemy hits" in the scoring section after each level doesn't refer to number of bullet hits on enemies; it just means how many enemies you've killed. The best way to get an S on that category is to use grenades strategically - often you'll find a level where you quickly glance into a room full of zombies and then move on. If you can get a grenade in there before moving on, you can really rack up some Enemy Hits.

Grenades are also good for breaking rooms full of stuff for points in Objects Broken or whatever.

Cervetus wrote: »
    I think the worst part of UC is that most of the secondary guns seem completely useless. The actual shooting of things part though is really fun. It got a lot easier and more fun once I looked up on gamefaqs how to get critical hits: Apparently the sweet spot is right above right between the eyes, and not a random chance after hitting them anywhere on their head as I once thought.

Actually, the secondary guns are very useful (see my discussion of Nemesis above).

If you want to kick some serious ass on Bosses, though, take a fully upgraded Rocket Launcher with you and save the ammo until the end, then unload on bosses when they're stationary.

But usually it's a good idea to have a fast shooting weapon (submachine gun or uzi) and a powerful weapon (a type of shotgun). Or to be cheap and carry a Rocket/grenade launcher for the bosses. Grenades are very, very useful for getting S Ranks though, because of their destructive power and getting you points on Enemy Hits, Objects Broken, and destroying bosses quickly which affects the Time category that you get graded on.

But yes, Critical Hits (the only ones that count for Critical Hits when graded) are the Zombies and Crimson Heads. The Critical area is basically the hairline above and between the eyes near the top of the head. The pistols are the only ones that can do this, to my knowledge. Other enemies of course have critical hit areas, like the open mouths of dogs and such, but these don't count for your Critical Hit totals for Ranking purposes; but it always helps to shoot enemies in their Critical hits for ammo conservation and time saving purposes.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Personally, I think RE:UC and Ghost Squad serve two very, very different purposes. Ghost Squad is meant to be as much of an arcade game as possible. RE:UC seems to be more geared towards a Resident Evil atmosphere, and provide RE fanservice, and is designed to encourage ammo conservation and is meant to be a longer and meatier game for single playthroughs. Both games encourage replayability by rewarding speed and accuracy but REUC is meant to be slower and creepier and GS is meant to be faster and more action-packed.

Both are great games in my opinion. Ghost Squad is appropriately priced at $30, and RE:UC has a lot more content and I guess arguably more depth.

slash000 on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I love RE:UC. It's one of my favourite Wii games. I find it incredibly hard, and I'm only halfway through the RE1 chapter and I've had the game since Christmas, but it's so much fun. It's much better with two people, but it's great single player as well.

I want Ghost Squad, I'm hoping it will drop to $20 though. I'm really looking forward to House of the Dead, too. The Wii is great for lightgun games and I really hope that more devs take advantage of it. Especially Nintendo, I'd hate to see them stop supporting the zapper (I know it's early for that, but do they have a great track record of supporting peripherals?)

I think the VC would be a great place for more shooters. All the old NES zapper games, like Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley would be perfect, and I'm sure there's a bunch of Master System/Genesis stuff I don't even know about.

And I'd like to echo the support for the Nyko Perfect Shot. It's much better than the zapper. I find it difficult to shoot quickly with the Perfect Shot's trigger, but it's just forcing me to work on my accuracy so I need less shots to kill something.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    If you're having trouble with some specific part of RE:UC I could offer advice if I have any to give.

It's really all about using the right guns for the right situations.

slash000 on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I tend to find one sticking point in each level that keeps me busy for a while, but I get past them eventually.

Right now it's
    just after the checkpoint in the first RE1 chapter, when you go up the stairs and those running zombies come after you. I took the rocket launcher to start the level and if there was a shotgun or SMG somewhere in the first half of that level I didn't find it, so I'm stuck with the rockets, which I want to save for the boss, or my pistol. I can never kill those guys before they hit me; I get them eventually, but I'm really low on health and end up dying soon after.

elevature on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    my favorite thing about umbrella chronicles is all the breakable objects. i cant tell you how many times ive died because ive been messing around shooting out lights instead of killing the horde of zombies bearing down on me.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    We need a good duck hunt game.

DouglasDanger on