As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Home Theaters In A Box

BoxBox Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
I just spent most of my tax return money on a 42'' 1080p HDTV and a PS3, Wii and 360. Before I bought that stuff, I was rocking a 22'' shitty TV from the late '80s and a Dreamcast. Now I am having a feeling of "Why stop now?"

I know people always say that you should buy each part separately. And I KNOW that is a better way to go, but it just seems like it's so much more money. I also know that Bose is a butt-hole company and should be avoided, but damn is the room set up with a nice Bose system at Fry's doesn't make me want to buy one (I couldn't afford one anyway, so I guess it's a moot point.)

But, yes, I need help. Help me make my walls shake and my neighbors hate me. I don't want to spend more then, say, $500, but I'd like to spend even less then that if I could. I'm not against a HTiaB, and if someone knows of a recipe for, or a list of their, home theater, then I would love to get some recommendations.

Box on

• Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The worst part about box sets is the speakers really. The most important things to look at on the receiver is it's watt per speaker output and that it has all the inputs/outputs you need. Make sure you get something with HDMI if you're pimpin' a 1080P.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Do receivers with HDMI work as an HDMI hub/switch box, too?

Box on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Ok, I'm totally new to this stereo thing, I've never had more than a 2.1, so this is a really stupid question, but if I dropped the dough on a high quality system like that, would I be able to hook up my computer to it? I'm replacing my TV with a high quality LCD monitor and my media center PC.

I'm assuming the answer is yes, just wondering.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yes.
    Your sound quality depends on your sound card and the type of connection between the two.

Did you get a TV, or a computer monitor?

You might also want to get a universal remote. Say... one of these.
    LH-6584-callout.jpg
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Advanced-Universal-Control/dp/B00093IIRA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1202691562&sr=8-1

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My friends and I have had amazing success with Onkyo systems. I purchased the lowest-end HTIB from them (refurbished, even) back when I didn't have an HD setup at home, and it's served me really, really well. Two friends of mine have purchased higher end systems from them and they're really quality stuff. If I was going to update my receiver or entire system, I'd go to them first just due to how happy I've been with them.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Did you get a TV, or a computer monitor?

I haven't got it yet, waiting for my annual pay bonus on the 20th, but I was going to get a Westinghouse L2410NM. My current TV is about the same size and its best inputs are Composite, so it's definitely a significant upgrade for me.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    WuckFarcraftWuckFarcraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That remote is the best. I can vouch for that.

WuckFarcraft on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    About that remote...
    Amazon.com wrote:
    System Requirements

* IBM® compatible PC
    o Windows® 98, 2000, Me, XP

No Vista?

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ronen wrote: »
    My friends and I have had amazing success with Onkyo systems. I purchased the lowest-end HTIB from them (refurbished, even) back when I didn't have an HD setup at home, and it's served me really, really well. Two friends of mine have purchased higher end systems from them and they're really quality stuff. If I was going to update my receiver or entire system, I'd go to them first just due to how happy I've been with them.
    Same boat as this guy. Bought a refurb about 2 years ago for like $149 and it's a lot better than the sony system my brother bought for over $400. The sub, even though not powered still puts out a ton of sound. If possible, go for something similar, or start with a decent receiver, and pick out specific speakers as you go on. Start with a 2.1, then work your way up.

hat said, I'm very pleased with what I have in terms of sound, and don't regret that money at all.

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    About that remote...
    Amazon.com wrote:
    System Requirements

* IBM® compatible PC
    o Windows® 98, 2000, Me, XP

No Vista?

That must be an outdated amazon.com descripton. The Logitech product page for the harmony 880 does confirm vista support.
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/universal_remotes/devices/372&cl=us,en

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

With this, the review on Cnet said that the HDMI on it doesn't support sound, and that I'd have to use another way to get the sound through. Could I have the video from my 360/PS3 going through the HDMI and also use the optical out audio from them at the same time?

Box on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Did anybody make a joke about the OP's name and the thread title?

No?

ok..

redfenix on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    redfenix wrote: »

No?

ok..

We were thinking it.

Also, as long as we've got a discussion going on about Harmony remotes, has anybody had hands on time with the Harmony One? I'm looking for a new remote and since that's the newest (and supposed improved successor to the 880) I wanted to get people's opinions on it.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Box wrote: »

With this, the review on Cnet said that the HDMI on it doesn't support sound, and that I'd have to use another way to get the sound through. Could I have the video from my 360/PS3 going through the HDMI and also use the optical out audio from them at the same time?

For your budget, you're going to need to make some sacrifices (for no real reason). While I don't know the answer to your question, I can tell you that I am using
    http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/onkyo-tx-sr604-silver/4505-6466_7-32008414.html?tag=prod.txt.2
    and
    http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-speaker-systems/onkyo-sks-ht540/4505-7868_7-31930496.html?tag=prod.txt.1

It's fantastic. Yes, the reciever has HDMI issues, but I live with those just fine. With the right universal remote, once everything is set up and YOU know how it works, you can then tell your remote how it works, and then no one will ever fuck anything up ever again.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ronen wrote: »
    redfenix wrote: »

No?

ok..

We were thinking it.

Also, as long as we've got a discussion going on about Harmony remotes, has anybody had hands on time with the Harmony One? I'm looking for a new remote and since that's the newest (and supposed improved successor to the 880) I wanted to get people's opinions on it.

Based on my experience with the 880 and this article, the updates are the touch screen, the looks, and the button layout (which are all very shallow updates). While the 880's button layout isn't perfect, it's learnable like every other remote ever made.
    I like the design of the One more than the 880, the screen seems crisper (but in person that may change), and touch screens have more cool factor. What I love about the 880 is the large off button at the top and that I can have 6 activities on a single screen. I haven't heard if you can do this with the One or not, but unless it uses different software, that is just something you can toggle.
    The One is very, very sexy. It is also $100 more. It also does the same exact thing as the 880.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Meh, if the Harmony One has a touch screen, count me out. Part of the reason I went for the 880 was to get rid of an older remote with the touchscreen. Unless the buttons are a lot bigger, I found myself hitting the wrong button my accident, and you have to always look down to the remote instead of using it by feel of the placement of the buttons. My 2c.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tetsuoZshimatetsuoZshima Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    if you don't want to spend a lot of money, I'm throwing a vote in for the Pioneer HTS GS1. it's smooth and white just like the 360 (it's 360 branded; but I have my 360 and ps3 hooked up via optical to it, the branding doesn't really many anything of course) and I've been quite satisfied with it. of course I don't have a large living room, but for 170 bucks at the time, I've had zero regrets.

tetsuoZshima on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That remote is the best. I can vouch for that.

I've never used that one, but I have an older Harmony, and it is absolutely the cat's ass. Awesome remote.

As for the home theater question, you'd have to ask other folks here for their opinions on receivers, but we love our speaker setup. They sound great, and are deep enough that we don't need a bass attached. And they're relatively cheap. Good stuff.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    One thing to be very careful of with the PS3 and your reciever (if you plan on playing many BD movies that is) is the HDMI supported by the reciever.

Make sure you pick up a reciever that supports HDMI 1.3, otherwise you won't be able to get DD-TrueHD and/or DTS-HD output when watching Blu-Ray movies on the PS3 (same goes for HD-DVDs if you ever pick up a player or the 360 add-on).

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Ok, I'm totally new to this stereo thing, I've never had more than a 2.1, so this is a really stupid question, but if I dropped the dough on a high quality system like that, would I be able to hook up my computer to it? I'm replacing my TV with a high quality LCD monitor and my media center PC.

I'm also curious about this. Looking at that system, I only see RCA inputs, rather than the 3.5mm inputs that computer sound cards require. How does one go about hooking up a computer to a setup like this?

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mace1370 wrote: »

I'm also curious about this. Looking at that system, I only see RCA inputs, rather than the 3.5mm inputs that computer sound cards require. How does one go about hooking up a computer to a setup like this?

Using these:

CC399-05_LR.jpg

Add more for multichannel analog audio. (Although I heard some of Creative's cards are retarded and require some more unique cables.)

Zxerol on
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Do yourself a favor and buy a refurb Onkyo receiver with Polk speakers on sale from fries (50 bucks for a pair of ridiculously good speakers) and a center speaker from crutchfield for like 90 bucks.

500 dollars or so there for a system eons better than any HTiB.

Karrmer on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    ToyD wrote: »
    Meh, if the Harmony One has a touch screen, count me out. Part of the reason I went for the 880 was to get rid of an older remote with the touchscreen. Unless the buttons are a lot bigger, I found myself hitting the wrong button my accident, and you have to always look down to the remote instead of using it by feel of the placement of the buttons. My 2c.
    The entire thing isn't a touch screen, just the part up top which is customizable. There are still like, 40 hard buttons or something.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    Battman23Battman23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Craiglslist for speakers FTW.

I have seen some old Cerwin Vegas on there for $100 and they will blow the shit out of any HTiaB. Go buy an open box receiver from Best Buy or Circuit City. By the way, My current sound system cost me all of $250 and it includes:

Yamaha HTR-5XXX (5.1 DTS and component switching)
    Yamaha Center Channel
    2x Yamaha 3-Way Speakers (Front, 8" Woofer)
    2x Yamaha Rear Channel Speakers
    8" Infinity Subwoofer (50 watts)
    Speaker Stands for all speakers

I bought the receiver from BB open box for $125 and the speakers were $150 local pickup from eBay. Speakers stands were $25.

I recently spotted an Integra 6.4 on craigslist for $125. INSANE, but I missed out on it. (BTW, Integra is to Onkyo what Lexus is to Toyota)

Battman23 on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    HTiaB are not bad if you temper your expectations accordingly. We bought one a few years ago and it's been a wonderful enhancement to our movie watching (and my gaming) experience. Plus it's nice for parties as the one we bought has a 5 disc DVD/CD carousel.

That being said, if I had a chance to start new and had a bigger budget this time around, you bet your ass I'd buy each component separately.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've always bought my stereo systems piecemeal and have never been disappointed. Some of my friends bought those package surround deals and they suck. Like, REALLY suck. The sound gets harsh as soon as you turn it up (Was trying to rock out to Guitar Hero a few months ago and had to keep the volume down).

Anyway, my advice is to be patient and buy it bit by bit. I have a killer 5.1 system that took me a while to acquire, but I got my digital receiver for $200, front speakers, $75 for the pair (Amazing sony bookshelfs. Friggin' awesome speakers), Rear JVC bookshelf speakers $50 for the pair (A little cheaper, wouldn't mind upgrading, but they do really well), killer Cerwin Vega center channel for $75. Since my TV has two HDMI inputs and the digital out, everything just goes into the TV and then audio goes through the optical line to the receiver. $400 and all I'm missing is a powered sub.

I can crank my system and everything is crystal clear and crisp. Very high quality sound. Watch for sales and pick stuff up when the opportunity is there. That's my advice.

Alternatively, you can get it all at once in one place, but I'd still recommend buying it in pieces. It's okay to mix brands. :P

EDIT: I guess I missed the DVD player - I got a higher quality LG upconverting DVD player for $100, but if you're okay with standard output, you don't need to spend as much. Also, I bought all this in Future Shop, Best Buy and Soundsaround (The only time I ever buy from Soundsaround is the once a year 12 hour sale they have here in Calgary every September. You can find some absolutely crazy deals. My car deck is from that sale - $400 deck for $200)

Nova_C on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just got the Onkyo HT-SR600. It sounds pretty great, as good as any other surround system I've heard, and I got it for $270. I don't see any real reason to spend $1000+ on speakers, though this may just be my uncultured ears.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The 600 is a decent system, but is definitely no where near good.

It won't get very loud, the subwoofer is weak at best (it's not even powered) and the receiver, while good because its Onkyo, lacks a lot of inputs and doesn't put out much power.

Still decent enough for the money and far better than the speakers on your television but try listening to an *actual* system (composed of a nice receiver, voice matched speakers, nice subwoofer, etc) and you'd see an enormous difference.

I still say buying some Polk speakers from Fry's on sale or looking in Craigslist for decent Polk/Klipsch/Athena/Integras or whatever else you can find and throwing in a decent powered sub from Craigslist too could net you a system for pretty damn cheap that is wayyyyyyyyy better than a HTiB.

But if simplicity is all you need, I'd get a 5.1 HTiB from Onkyo. Don't get a 7.1, it's worthless.

Karrmer on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    For reference, the system I built myself for a reasonable budget looks quite similar to the picture below, minus the receiver and what not being different.

h700TDPHT1-f_22.jpeg

Karrmer on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Do NOT buy a mini-cube HTiB system. They look sexy and all, but cube speakers are shit, pure and simple. They can't produce a wide frequency spectrum, so they offload the midrange onto the sub, messing up positioning, balance, and detail.

Make sure whatever HTiB you get includes full-range speakers with both woofers (hopefully at least 5 or 6 inches) and tweeters. The sub should be bigger still and make sure the crossover point isn't set high to compensate for shitty front speakers - it should be in the 50-80hz range.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well in my experience the SR600 gets quite loud and the subwoofer shakes the house, but then again I don't know what you expect from it.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Well in my experience the SR600 gets quite loud and the subwoofer shakes the house, but then again I don't know what you expect from it.

There's a difference between volume and power. Volume is SPL (sound pressure level) in speaker terms and measured with db.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Zxerol wrote: »

Using these:

[SNIP]

Add more for multichannel analog audio. (Although I heard some of Creative's cards are retarded and require some more unique cables.)

Ah, ok. That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure if those conversion cables would lower the quality of sound.

For those of you who are recommending that people assemble their own system, rather than buying the HTIAB setups, what do you recommend for a 2.1 setup (2 speakers + sub + receiver) in the sub-$500 range?

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ah, ok. That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure if those conversion cables would lower the quality of sound.

For those of you who are recommending that people assemble their own system, rather than buying the HTIAB setups, what do you recommend for a 2.1 setup (2 speakers + sub + receiver) in the sub-$500 range?

I'd hit a pro audio site like Musicians' friend and do some browsing. Behringer and KRK make great speakers that don't break the bank. Check out active speakers as well (built in matched amplifiers.)

You could probably get good basic powered sub and two powered monitors for $500ish

Start here, for example.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?N=100001+8&Ntk=All&Ntt=monitors&Nty=1

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is there any reason why you wouldn't want 5.1 eventually? I looked up the Pioneer receiver that I have. Turns out it's their bottom model, which is interesting because it's pretty awesome. Anyway, it's $200 and here's the rear panel:

424544243VSX-517-K_REAR_med.jpg

110 watts x 5 channels. If you just want 2.1 now, this'll do it and allow you to go 5.1 later.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/AV-Receivers/PioneerReceivers/ci.VSX-517-K%7CS.Kuro

EDIT: All I have hooked up to it is my LCD TV which is hooked into the optical port and my iPod dock, which is hooked into the CD in. Seems like a waste, eh? ;)

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Something you might want to consider - how much of an audiophile are you? I have accepted the fact that ultimately, my ears aren't that great. I have good eyesight and easily notice picture issues, but outside of really crappy speakers I don't get much benefit out of really good speakers vs the stuff I have. A good TV is worth a lot more to me than the sound system.

That said, I would still buy separate components if possible. Right now I have a 5.1 HTiB setup, an old Sony model (probably 5 or 6 years old) which cost around $500 at the time. I've had no issues with the sound at all, however the motor that spins dvds is starting to go, and that means we're encountering a problem I didn't think about when purchasing the system - the dvd player is a single point of failure that can serious screw up our entire setup. I have our 360, Wii, and HD cable running through the dvd player for surround. If I have to take out the dvd player it will require an assload of work to get sound back up and running. And I would likely end up re-running my speaker wires and replacing all the speakers (they have a non-standard connection that wouldn't work with non-Sony hardware). So I say get individual components, so if something breaks you don't have to rework your whole system. I'm hoping this one live up until we move.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Is there any reason why you wouldn't want 5.1 eventually?

Personally, I plan to stick with stereo because any money spent on center and rear speakers could be put towards better L & R speakers.

...or transducers, subharmonic synthesizers, subtraction harmonic processors, turntables, noise reducers, jitter correctors, customizable crossovers, external DACs, turntables, power conditioners or any of the other gear I've prioritized adding to my Home Theatre over 5.1

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Add my voice to the Onkyo-love choir. I got an HT590 for $200 refurbished and it works great for me, a non-audiophile.

Check out this site for their latest refurbished deals: http://www.shoponkyo.com/products.cfm?specials=1&group_id=1

They come with a one-year parts and labor warranty.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Something you might want to consider - how much of an audiophile are you? I have accepted the fact that ultimately, my ears aren't that great. I have good eyesight and easily notice picture issues, but outside of really crappy speakers I don't get much benefit out of really good speakers vs the stuff I have. A good TV is worth a lot more to me than the sound system.

Same here. $30 speakers plus a cheap pair of headphones for when I need to be quiet is all I really need. Now, video quality, on the other hand, is a completely different story. :D

RainbowDespair on