As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Death Jr 2: The best looking Wii game (Move over Mario?)

TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
So the second Death Jr is coming from the PSP to the Wii, and it looks pretty good too.
"This is really the 'Special Edition'," says Backbone producer James Stanley, who tells us that compared to the PSP game, the Wii version will have more polygons, higher-resolution textures, more voice acting, better pacing, splitscreen play for co-op, and an improved user interface designed to make navigation and weapon selection easier, along with tech-friendly features like 480p and Dolby Pro Logic II support. So lots of little things to make the game fit on Wii, basically, rather than any big new features.

Sounds like it's a lot more than a straight port. To quote the producer:
"It's definitely one of the better looking Wii titles," says producer James Stanley. "I'd say 'best' but we might get in a battle with some Mario fans."

I was interested in the first for the PSP but forgot about it when I actually picked up the system. Was it any good?

Anyways, 1 up preview: LINK!

and pix. Nao!

46845327un8.jpg

97688111kt5.jpg

97883691zi4.jpg

TheSonicRetard on

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ...so a PSP port is supposed to be the best looking Wii game.

DIS!

Looks fun in any case.

Clint Eastwood on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    Screenshots aren't always faithful to a game's graphics, but that doesn't look like it's better than Galaxy.

Not that the graphics are shitty, though.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited February 2008
    ...That's the best looking Wii game?

Um,

okay.

Good, Factor 5, I want to know what you're doing NOW. put everyone to shame. Especially these pretenders.

Dareth Ram on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    that looks no where near as good as Galaxy. Plus, if they even want to start competing, they need 60 FPS all the time.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    ...That's the best looking Wii game?

Um,

okay.

Good, Factor 5, I want to know what you're doing NOW. put everyone to shame. Especially these pretenders.

You do have to admit that it looks a lot better than the usual PS(2/P) ports, even if nowhere near SMG's level

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Doesn't look too great at all, not that it looks bad.

Still doesn't hold a candle to Galaxy, though. :|

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah. I know pictures can be huge liars, but... that game doesn't look good.

Yeah, art style, but its just going after the cliche "solid colors to hide low poly count" route. It just doesn't look that good.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    In what parallel universe is this the best looking Wii game? One where, say, Brawl and Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 and One Piece: Unlimited Adventure and, fuck, Dragonball Z BT 3 don't exist? Because this looks worse than all of those.

Furu on
    edited February 2008
    I think the problem is their art direction.

There is none. It's all over the fucking place. They might have a very good engine going for all I know, but we can't tell the difference.

Dareth Ram on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm preeeetty sure TSR was joking, that shit looks horrible

bruin on
    edited February 2008
    "I'm preeeetty sure TSR was joking, that shit looks horrible"

TSR might be, but the Producer wasn't.

Dareth Ram on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was interested in the first for the PSP but forgot about it when I actually picked up the system. Was it any good?

No. No, it really wasn't.

UnbreakableVow on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Why did I never hear about this before? Those are some of the best looking N64 graphics I've ever seen! Although they have some stiff competition from that game Steven Spielberg is making...

-SPI- on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There is a bunch of stuff that looks technically better than that on the Dreamcast.

LewieP on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Those pictures, are they from the PSP version?

Peewi on
    edited February 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    Those pictures, are they from the PSP version?

They aren't the right resolution to be running on the PSP. I mean that could be the PSP build running on a Wii, without the extra pretties added yet.

LewieP on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There's no way you could do those graphics on the 360.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    There's no way you could do those graphics on the 360.

...and save face?

Oh, snap!

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • .la1n.la1n Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I played Mario Galaxy last night, that's definetly lol worthy. I do hope that they deliver on their promise though, the wii is going very underutilized by the majority of third parties.

.la1n on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I have yet to play any of the games, but I appreciate Death Jr.'s attempt at being a wacky, new, IP.

I might pick this one up.

Sheep on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sleep wrote: »
    I have yet to play any of the games, but I appreciate Death Jr.'s attempt at being a wacky, new, IP.

Isn't it a kids cartoon series?

edit: Apparently not.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't get the hate. Sure those graphics (in picture form) aren't as good as SMG, but N64 graphics? C'mon... Now you're just being mean.

urahonky on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I thought he was being sarcastic, it looks like 'meh'.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • vdanhalenvvdanhalenv Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    I don't get the hate. Sure those graphics (in picture form) aren't as good as SMG, but N64 graphics? C'mon... Now you're just being mean.

I'd say they are more early PS2 style

vdanhalenv on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    *checks his monitor settings* Really now? I'd love to give some comparison shots between what you just said vdanhalenv, but I'm at work and everything is blocked.

urahonky on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The previous Death Jr.s on the PSP and DS got some pretty mediocre reviews, so unless something has vastly changed this is nothing to get excited about.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    To say that your game is one of the best, if not the best, looking game on a platform is arrogant. To make that statement when your game is outclassed graphically by games made over 5 years ago on weaker systems? That's delusional.

I saw some gameplay videos of the previous game. Looked pretty boring.

Dirty on
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I vaguely recall Death Jr being a kind of running joke, what with how badly it did. They had this huge media blitz planned with a tv show and merchandise and a series of games and movies and everything, and then the game turned out to suck.

It was obvious this was going to happen from the moment one read the preview article with the interview with the developers.
    'So we were playing Mario, and we thought, wouldn't it be so much better if Mario had a gun?'
    D:

Snork on
  • fearsomepiratefearsomepirate I ate a pickle once. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Maybe he said it's the best-looking Wii game because he didn't realize that the Virtual Console isn't the only source of games available.

fearsomepirate on
    Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody.
    PSN ID: fearsomepirate
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Or maybe he said it to garner attention from people?

Nah, never would happen.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It doesn't look horrible, but to claim that it even competes graphically with a game like Galaxy is a flat out lie.

Zek on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Maybe he said it's the best-looking Wii game because he didn't realize that the Virtual Console isn't the only source of games available.

A lot of the virtual console games are visually better looking than this. Say...Sonic The Hedgehog, or Mario Kart.

Sure, this might have more polygons and higher-res textures, but if you model a turd with a million polygons and 3000dpi textures it is still a turd.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wasn't it a rep from this same developer that said that the PSP was 'polygon for polygon more powerful than the PS2'?

slash000 on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The fact that he can say this POS is one of the best looking Wii games on the market and not get immediately kicked in the face and ridiculed by whoever was interviewing him at the time makes me want to pimp slap everyone in any way connected to any shitty cash-in PSP port ever released on the Wii.

New rule: if your title can't beat out Rogue Squadron, a GameCube launch title, in at least one technical aspect the only thing you ever get to say about its graphical quality is that it fucking sucks and you're categorically embarassed to be associated with it in any way.

JihadJesus on
    edited February 2008
    Also every single Wii game should have a hoth level.

LewieP on
  • AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sleep wrote: »

Meh. I picked up the original PSP game when it came out and I was very underwhelmed. The characters and setting looked unique but once I got into I got a real half-assed Poochie feeling from it. Soulless characters that a marketing team says are awesome. Also the game was boring as hell.

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Those are some gorgeous graphics

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    These people like to brag. But they have never lived up to their bragging.

Also, this game is not one of the better looking Wii games. I own some Wii launch games, from Nintendo and third parties, that look equal to if not better than these screenshots suggest.

Mario Galaxy looks better in both the technical and art direction categories. By quite a bit in my opinion.

slash000 on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This is downright fugly.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png