As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weekend Job for a College Student?

littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I go to school full time during the week, as well as working on campus Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. The place I work at on campus is only open during weekdays, so I have no work on the weekends.

I'd like to have a little bit more money to help with my expenses, and I'm certainly not afraid to work any more to get it. Is there any type of job that "sticks out" for a nineteen year old college student that can only work on Saturdays and Sundays? I live in California where the minimum wage is currently $8.00. Working third shift is also not a problem at all, if needed.

newsig.png
littwentythree on

• Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dollar stores or department stores would likely be happy to take you, and they're typically flexible enough. Just go surf the nearest mall.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    The NazariteThe Nazarite Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    See if any of your university's departments are looking for graders. It's a very flexible job, and pays well. I get $10 per hour at a CSU.

The Nazarite on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    See if any of your university's departments are looking for graders. It's a very flexible job, and pays well. I get $10 per hour at a CSU.

Really? I'm attending CSU Northridge. What kind of requirements are there for being a grader?

My main idea is just to get back my old job at Staples, where they need someone for my department desperately. It would be 8 hours Saturday and 8 hours Sunday, likely a few dimes above minimum wage.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Maybe you could look for a job in a hospital? I used to work at my local hospital. I was on the nightshift every second weekend. The pay was great (~15.50$/hr... but I'm in Canada). I was in the medical records department.

physi_marc on
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    blockbuster or subway are generally decent job (not great, but nto horrible), ones where you dont take the stress home generally speaking either. just go in, do the job, go hom e and mellow
    plus BB gives you free rentals

ihmmy on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hospital jobs are great if you can get them. I don't know all the hospitals in Northridge, but I know CHW gives preference to in house employees so if you were to get a job there it'd probably be as a janitor - I mean Environmental Services. Still, it pays around $10 an hour I think, and if you can get 24 hours you are fully benefited.

Virum on
  • Options
    The NazariteThe Nazarite Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Really? I'm attending CSU Northridge. What kind of requirements are there for being a grader?

My main idea is just to get back my old job at Staples, where they need someone for my department desperately. It would be 8 hours Saturday and 8 hours Sunday, likely a few dimes above minimum wage.

You need to have taken the class you're grading for, and did well in it (at least a B or A). Don't quote me exactly on the wage; I was giving mine as an example. Your pay may change depending on your department or university. I also haven't joined the union, which takes away a certain amount (like $1 per hour).

The Nazarite on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

You need to have taken the class you're grading for, and did well in it (at least a B or A). Don't quote me exactly on the wage; I was giving mine as an example. Your pay may change depending on your department or university. I also haven't joined the union, which takes away a certain amount (like $1 per hour).

I just sent an e-mail to the Psychology department (my major) and several others, I'll see what they say on the matter when they're back in office Monday. Thanks.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If it's your type of thing, you could always be a waiter. I have a lot of friends who just work weekends, and make awesome tips. They love it.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    physi_marc wrote: »
    Maybe you could look for a job in a hospital? I used to work at my local hospital. I was on the nightshift every second weekend. The pay was great (~15.50$/hr... but I'm in Canada). I was in the medical records department.

I work in the IT department at a hospital and we hire college students to do the weekend shift. It's basically just changing tapes for the database backup, babysitting the system in case anything goes wrong, and taking the occasional helpdesk call (weekends are slow and a reboot fixes most problems). You basically just come in and work on your homework all day. If anything really weird comes up there's always somebody on call the kid can get ahold of. We pay $14/hr I believe. It's definitely worth checking out.

oldsak on
  • Options
    histronichistronic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My recommendation is getting a job at a restaurant. Weekends are the busiest so you'll be making the most money in tips, and most restaurants are looking for college students who can only work on weekend nights for them.

histronic on
    WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    iF you can do the restaurant work, tips would make it worthwhile. Otherwise, IT or temp jobs pay the best - temping, you'll be making double-digits hourly.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm pretty sure Northridge has a Work Study program that should have some job postings on/near the campus.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen