As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Persistent world games

Typhus733Typhus733 Yip!Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
All this Spore news has given me an itch for something to play but I can't find what. I'm looking for good games with a persistent, moving world that isn't always canned.

What I mean is like Space Rangers 2 (basicly an open galaxy for you to play with and the AI acts differently every game), a Civ game (newly generated maps and many levels of difficulty give variety to each game), X2 or 3(a very open space to go at as you feel), anything like that. Though not something like Oblivion which has a persistent world but is always the same; the same quests will be in the same place every time and there isn't much else to do outside of that. It's a really specific interest which is making it frustrating to find anything.

Genre isn't so strict though, as anything from an RPG to strategy to action could work. Basically I'm looking for something with a lasting and dynamic-ish world to keep me occupied. Sorry in advance if this request is a bit hard to work with.

Typhus733 on

• MantraMantra Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This thread is relevant to my interests.

Mantra on
    Mantra2k.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Like, single player? Or multiplayer? EVE Online for example is always changing, but that's as a result of the aggregate actions of thousands of players instead of just you.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sorry, single player/non-mmo was what I meant.

Typhus733 on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Might I suggest Europa Universalis III? It is not turn based its actually real time (though not really an RTS). I made a thread on it a while back. The thread is dead now, but my OP outlines the game. Aside from not being turn-based it does fit what you are looking for I think.

-edit Excuse me. Got confused with the other thread. The one looking for a turn-based strategy game. Anyway my suggestion still stands!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Elder Scrolls series, more specifically Morrowind and Oblivion, you'll get really sucked in, especially if you fancy fantasy and magic and all sorts of unrealistic things. The worlds in them are immense, you even have books to read. You can talk to dozens or hundreds of people, have lots of equipment, spells, you can cook food, be an alchemist and prepare spells, repair your own weapons with a hammer, etc. etc...

You should really look into this, I think it's a safe bet :)

EDIT: Or not..:oops:

Impersonator on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Elder Scrolls series, more specifically Morrowind and Oblivion, you'll get really sucked in, especially if you fancy fantasy and magic and all sorts of unrealistic things. The worlds in them are immense, you even have books to read. You can talk to dozens or hundreds of people, have lots of equipment, spells, you can cook food, be an alchemist and prepare spells, repair your own weapons with a hammer, etc. etc...

Let's not forget you can punch anyone or anything in the face(if it has one)

Xtarath on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

He said NOT LIKE OBLIVION in the OP.

Remember kids. Reading is FUNdamental!

Gorilla Salad on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dwarf Fortress, maybe? It takes place in a randomly generated world, and you can either set up and manage a fortress or wander through the world as an adventurer, including through the ruins of any fortresses that you've abandoned. There's a thread for it somewhere here.

jothki on
  • RavenlockRavenlock Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There's not a whole lot of storyline to it yet, just a bunch of generated quests to do, but for sandbox-y persistent world medieval combat it's very hard to beat Mount & Blade. Some very good mods help the longevity as well, and they just finally got picked up by a publisher, so development on the game should accelerate towards v1.0 from here.

Ravenlock on
    Steam ID: Ravenlock
    XBL / GFWL Gamertag: Ravenlock80
    Wii System Code: 3019 1654 2730 1955
    <Whore> Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast! </Whore>
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dwarf Fortress is basically what you want. If you have ASCII-rash, try this version: http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/df.htm

Mayday on
  • Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fable?

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ha, no, but maybe the game Molyneux was promising us instead.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • BoarBoar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think we'll have to wait about another 10 years until we have computers capable of running the game that Molyneux promised us...

Fable is pretty good if you've never played it though. And Dwarf Fortress on adventure mode is pretty much exactly what you are looking for, but the low tech graphics may be off-putting to some..

Perhaps not a perfect suggestion, as I assume you are looking for RPGs, but what about a total war game? Things never quite play the same way twice on the world map...

Boar on
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    STALKER - Shadow of Chernobyl

Patched and modded to hell and back, of course.

Iriah on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Iriah wrote: »

I just bought it. What are the recommended mods?

Couscous on
  • Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I love the Total War series and they are right on what I was asking. Fable is too linear/focused with it's missions though not a bad game regardless. STALKER I've heard of and it looks interesting, is it very objective/mission focused or a completely open world for you?

Typhus733 on
  • BoarBoar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you love the Total War series and have Rome, download the Europa Barbarorum mod, completely changes the game, adds close to 1 gig of new things and is essentially the game as it should have been.

Otherwise both the Napoleonic Total War mods are well worth picking up.

Boar on
    edited February 2008
    Typhus733 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I love the Total War series and they are right on what I was asking. Fable is too linear/focused with it's missions though not a bad game regardless. STALKER I've heard of and it looks interesting, is it very objective/mission focused or a completely open world for you?

From what I have played of it, STALKER is more mission based with a bunch of stuff to do outside of the main missions. The prequel is supposed to be more open ended than the first one as they had to cut out a lot of stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:_Clear_Sky
    # The player assumes the role of a mercenary whose goal is to kill the Stalker Strelok. It is confirmed that you can't kill Strelok. But the player will be able to see him in the game, and the storyline is directly tied to him.
    # Rather than having a linear plot (as with Shadow of Chernobyl), the story focuses on an AI-driven faction war, where groups are fighting to gain control of new areas formed by a landscape-reforming blowout. Territorial wars, territory capture, and fan-created missions will be included.
    # You can join one of eight factions and lead them to victory. Confirmed factions that are joinable are the Bandits, Duty, Freedom, Clear Sky and Final Day. Other factions included will be the Loners and the Ukrainian Military.

Couscous on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There are missions, some of which are time-based, but in general you can go where you want within the Zone barring several story-related areas that "shouldn't" be entered until you do the main story missions for them.
    titmouse wrote: »
    Oblivion Lost seems to be the big mod when it comes to STALKER, and for very good reasons: it fixes up a whole bunch of bugs and quirks that range from mildly annoying to piss-you-the-fuck-off-to-no-end levels and really does a hell of a job with the atmosphere by improving lighting (especially night - sneaking around at night and ambushing people is actually a viable option now) adding several enemies that were cut before release and adding random scary-as-fuck phenomenon. Only bad thing about it is that it changes ALL of the dialogue to Russian, which sucks for stuff that doesn't have subtitles, and the only way I've found to restore it to English is to go through the game data files (which are organized in the most assinine manner imaginable) and extract the english dialogue stuff which you overwrite the mod dialogue audio with.

Oh, and save often.

Sorenson on
    edited February 2008
    Oh, and save often.
    I learned that after it crashed on me several times. I stupidly started playing the game before I patched it. Luckily, I didn't get far what with it running slow as molasses.

Couscous on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What I mean is like Space Rangers 2 (basicly an open galaxy for you to play with and the AI acts differently every game), a Civ game (newly generated maps and many levels of difficulty give variety to each game), X2 or 3(a very open space to go at as you feel), anything like that. Though not something like Oblivion which has a persistent world but is always the same; the same quests will be in the same place every time and there isn't much else to do outside of that. It's a really specific interest which is making it frustrating to find anything.

Closest thing that comes to mind is the Pirates! remake from a few years back. Not as randomized as Space Rangers since the geography has to stick to the Caribbean, but what power owns what territory does change since the different nations can invade each others colonies (and you can speed that process along, as in doing it yourself).

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Europa The Guild: 1400 is a very fun sandboxy game.

Its a very quirky game, but something I absolutely fell in love with. You are in the 1400's and you choose a profession, goldsmith, baker, cemetery keeper, bandit, guard, carpenter and the list goes on. You start off small and do what you can to build wealth by hiring work, being watchful of prices and buying raw materials when its low, selling your stuff when its high. You upgrade your building, and your house, run for different government positions, get married, have kids, have affairs, raze opponents houses and just the list continues.

Its full of content and fun things to do, its a never ending game (as long as you have kids, always get a wife early).

Its not for everyone, and its buggy, but overall one of my favorite games.

Jigrah on
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Closest thing that comes to mind is the Pirates! remake from a few years back. Not as randomized as Space Rangers since the geography has to stick to the Caribbean, but what power owns what territory does change since the different nations can invade each others colonies (and you can speed that process along, as in doing it yourself).

Yeah-- the other neat thing is that you can indirectly manipulate the political terrain as well. While you're free to capture ports, you can also sink troop transports, or assassinate new Governors that would otherwise bring economic recovery to some poorer nations.

There is a story you can follow, but the game doesn't seem to penalize you for avoiding it like I did.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    Iriah wrote: »

Basically, go to the stalker mod database and download the ones which take your fancy. Stuff like improved enemy AI, skyboxes, weather, that sort of thing. I probably won't play this game until sometime next year when I have a PC that runs Crysis on Very High smoothly and when I come back I am going to pump this game to the gills with mods.

Iriah on
  • StealtharcadiaStealtharcadia Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Are there any mods for Oblivion that do add a persistent world to it?
    Persistent worlds without the need of player interaction are pretty awesome in my book, though.

Stealtharcadia on
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's quasi-MMO, but there are a number of persistent world servers/mods for Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2. Most of them that I've tried tend to be roleplaying-oriented, and while they do have player interaction, you're talking a total pool of about 20-50 players in the entire world, plus GMs. It feels less like an anonymous MMO and more community.

I had good experiences on Layonara back in the original NWN. I haven't tried one since NWN2, but I do know they're out there.

(And I'm suggesting this because you said "single player/non-MMO" and I'm not entirely sure how to parse that; I'm assuming merely being a non-MMO persistent world is sufficient, since the single player bit would make the latter rather redundant)

s3rial one on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Would a serving of Diablo be adequate? Randomly generated dungeons and items, missions also random to a degree.

RichardTauber on
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was actually thinking about Diablo too. Now it is installed and I am deciding what one of the three amazing classes I would like to play as.

Noxy on
  • itylusitylus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The UnReal World might fit the bill.

itylus on
  • StealtharcadiaStealtharcadia Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    D: This is really a field in which games are currently lacking.

Stealtharcadia on