As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] : You decide! Not really but sort of

thejazzmanthejazzman Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
After following SimBen's let's play I decided to finally make one of my own, but found it extremely difficult to narrow down the list to a single title, especially since I'd always wanted to do a Chrono Trigger one, and now I've been beaten to the punch!

Here's a list that I would be very familiar with/enjoy recording and commenting on, and basically I'd like people to vote for a title or tell me if there's been a Let's Play of that title too recently.

Beyond Oasis :- Genesis action RPG

Half Life 1/2/episodes/expansions:- Huge gaming turning point for me, what chapters haven't been done recently? Are people interested?

Mickey's Magical Adventure:- SNES platformer

Baldur's Gate Saga :- This doesn't need a synopsis

Ocarina of Time:- Classic Zelda Title

Oblivion Main quest/Dark Brotherhood:- Infamous First Person RPG

Prince of Persia:- The original hour long side scrolling platform game for DOS

Super Mario World 64:- 3D platforming began!

Goldeneye :- Pinnacle console shooter

Jedi Knight Academy/Jedi Knight 2:- Best lightsaber action this side of Tatooine

Knights of the Old Republic:- YOU get to decide my moral compass in Bioware's Classic Star Wars RPG!

If this thread doesn't get much interest then I'll just have to pick myself, already purchased a new hard drive to store video files on, so one of those damned titles is getting commented on!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
thejazzman on

• Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Baludur's Gate!

Lemming on
  • Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Beyond Oasis, 'cause it's the only one on the list I haven't played at all.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mickey's Magical Adventure, it's been too long.

Djiem on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I agree with Djiem.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Goldeneye has room for a certain... moral compass.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Keep it coming folks, I guess Mickey's Magical Adventure is winning at the moment

Mickey%20no%20Magical%20Adventure%20(2).gif

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Ocarina. That is to say, of Time. You know, not to be confused with Ocarinas with various other adjectives.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    KoToR w/ HK47

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    mickey%20mouse.jpg

Alpine on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Baldur's Gate - I've never gotten past the D&D game mechanics to see why it's made of unicorn giggles.

Iriah on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jedi Knight 2, because I haven't seen a JK2 LP and there is much potential for the ensuing of hilarity. Especially if you enable dismemberment.

220px-Betrayed.jpg

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mickey's Magical adventure! The only one I've seen of it is pretty bad

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Half Life 2: Episode 2

Please.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Knights of the Old Republic:- YOU get to decide my moral compass in Bioware's Classic Star Wars RPG!
    I vote for this. I also vote for the moral compass to be batshit insane with your character doing everything to be as grey as possible.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gonna have to vote for BG.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Beyond Oasis. I remember playing that game way back when, and had a blast with it. I'd love to see it again.

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Beyond Oasis, because I've never played it.

Well, that applies to most of those... so I'd like to see it played, rather.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Here's a few of my suggestions:

Half Life 1/2/episodes/expansions: I seem to recall someone doing Half-Life 1 pretty recently. The others haven't been done yet though.

Mickey's Magical Adventure: I'm pretty sure I played this. Doesn't really lend itself to a particularly long LP.

Baldur's Gate Saga :- Hasn't been done recently, and I wouldn't mind seeing it

Ocarina of Time:- I was actually considering doing this one myself as a follow-up to my LP of Link's Awakening, but it'd be great if you wanted to do it. I'm not sure I'll have the time.

Oblivion Main quest/Dark Brotherhood:- Don't think it's been done ever. The main quest would probably get a little boring, but that could be just me.

Prince of Persia:- An hour long game does not a fleshed-out LP make.

Super Mario World 64:- Not a bad choice, but depending on how good you are you could have either a very short or very long LP.

Goldeneye :- Hasn't been done recently, probably a good candidate.

Jedi Knight Academy/Jedi Knight 2:- Haven't played them, so I couldn't tell you. There is a LP for both in the Something Awful LP Archives.

Knights of the Old Republic:- Someone started this a few months ago, but didn't get very far. This would be another good candidate. Also, it wasn't a video LP.

Of those, I'd go with Ocarina of Time, Knights of the Old Republic, or Baldur's Gate, maybe Half-Life 2. I would say to do the two Episodes with it, but 2 is still pretty recent. I guess it's up to you, though I wouldn't do it unless I could really bring up some new perspective on the game.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Might I suggest:

Let's Play: The Legend of Zelda: Legendary Thread

Yes, a Let's Play of every LoZ game made ala the Megaman Megathread.

Valkun on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh man, Mickey's Magical Adventure! I think I still have that game!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hmmm, Mickey is getting a lot of love, but is Terrendos right that it might be a little short to do a Let's Play? Perhaps! But...you know, perhaps not.

I've pretty much decided against a bunch of the now. I replayed every HL game in the space of about 2 weeks about a month ago, so it's really fresh, and I think there'd actually be something really interesting in seeing how the series progressed. I remember as I played it being overwhelmed by how much it improved with each iteration, with the possible exception of HL1---->HL2 because they just seem like such different games to me now.

Ocarina of time would be suitably epic, my only worry in doing all Zelda games would be that Ocarina is the only one I know all the secret stuff for, and I can easily foresee cries of ''But you got the EASY version of the crystal rod, if you'd done the dungeon BACKWARDS you'd still have the chance to obtain it, but now? Pah...

I'm not good enough at Mario 64 to make it interesting enough I believe.

I'd fucking love to do BG/KoTOR so let's keep some votes for them coming. BG especially, I could do the entire saga.

So yeah, entire Half Life saga showing progression of one of PC gamings most important franchises?
    Old school !!!EPIC!!! RPG'ing?
    An old platformer a bunch of us thought was good when we were 8 years old?

Secretly I want you all to vote for either Beyond Oasis or Jedi Knight 2 because holy fuck I love those games. This post has accomplished nothing, I've said all the games again, shit, carry on.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gonna have to go with Half Life Episode 2.
    Aaaaaand..
    You gotta take the gnome with you.
    Pretty sure we've already had a HL1 Lets Play.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I vote for Ocarina of Time.
    Valkun wrote: »
    Might I suggest:

Sounds like an awesome idea and if I had the neccesary equipment I would totally do Wind Waker.

Peewi on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    Might I suggest:

Sounds like an awesome idea and if I had the neccesary equipment I would totally do Wind Waker.

Just as long as someone does the Oracle games.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Might I suggest:

Is there any way to do videos of Game Boy games that doesn't involve emulation? And of course they should be done by the same person and the second one as a linked game.

Peewi on
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Might I suggest:

Is there any way to do videos of Game Boy games that doesn't involve emulation? And of course they should be done by the same person and the second one as a linked game.

Isn't there already a finished Zelda LP? I think it was Link's Awakening.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    thejazzman wrote: »
    Hmmm, Mickey is getting a lot of love, but is Terrendos right that it might be a little short to do a Let's Play? Perhaps! But...you know, perhaps not.

Meh. All that matters is the quality IMO.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Having a short LP is fine, as long as it's good.

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hmm, I think I'll go ask for mod permission to start a LOZ Let's Play, presently.

Valkun on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Let's Play: Mickey Mouse and the Great Circus Mystery

Best game ever, it's for SNES. The suit mechanic was fantastic. Don't know anything about the other Mickey game that was mentioned.

Edit: Yes, fully aware of the fact that it was nowhere near the initial list, but it's awesome.

Senshi on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Beyond Oasis sounds interesting so I vote for that one.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I vote for Mickey's Magical Quest.

Yes, I know I already voted, but I hoped you wouldn't notice and count it twice.

Djiem on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I vote Half-Life 2 Episode 2. Possibly pro-gnome.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just dont think a BG lets play will ever succeed..i vote mickey also because i think that would be funny

edit: JK2 would be really cool also

Burgu on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Senshi wrote: »

Best game ever, it's for SNES. The suit mechanic was fantastic. Don't know anything about the other Mickey game that was mentioned.

Edit: Yes, fully aware of the fact that it was nowhere near the initial list, but it's awesome.

Wait, I thought Magical Quest was the one with the suits? You could turn into an Arabic magician, and a fireman, and probably lots of other things I can't remember.

I've also got a game called "Mickey Mania," where the first level is based on Steamboat Willy and you advance through it by slowly adding color to the world. That one was really hard, I never got past level two.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah I think I messed up the title of that one, the full title is Disney's Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse, and it is indeed the one where you put on different costumes. Sorry if that caused confusion. And yeah that Mickey Mania game was freaking hard, I only got passed the second level once, I think it was that old castle level, with some crazy guy throwing potions at the end. I think it was awesome though, somehow.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, the second one in that "series" is the one I meant. It's got (from what I read on Wikipedia) a similar costume mechanic, but the setting and costumes are different. The Circus one is a childhood favorite, and I never played that first one.

Also, @ Mushroom Pie: Is that the one for Playstation? I think I played that once or twice. Isn't one of the early levels a haunted house?

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, the second one in that "series" is the one I meant. It's got (from what I read on Wikipedia) a similar costume mechanic, but the setting and costumes are different. The Circus one is a childhood favorite, and I never played that first one.

Also, @ Mushroom Pie: Is that the one for Playstation? I think I played that once or twice. Isn't one of the early levels a haunted house?

Mine is on the SNES, but I guess it's possible that Playstation version existed too. Yeah, level two was like a haunted castle and the second half of it had you skateboarding over pits of acid or something on one of those hospital beds with wheels and it demanded really precise jumping and fuck was it hard.

And I mean that's coming from a guy that plays Lost Levels for fun.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Wait, I thought Magical Quest was the one with the suits? You could turn into an Arabic magician, and a fireman, and probably lots of other things I can't remember.

I've also got a game called "Mickey Mania," where the first level is based on Steamboat Willy and you advance through it by slowly adding color to the world. That one was really hard, I never got past level two.

There were two Mickey Mouse games with the suits mechanic. "Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse" and "Mickey Mouse - Great Circus Mystery"

Djiem on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I want to say Goldeneye but its preeetty straightforward unless you want to needlessly execute some scientists.
    Its a shame they don't backtalk to you ala Earth Defence Force ranger squadran.

Bugger it, Goldeneye gets my vote!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png