As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boot Loader troubles

theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I am dual booting Ubuntu Linux and Vista. All was well and in equilibrium, with GRUB covering both Linux and Vista bootiness, when I had graphics card troubles (which I may actually start a thread on later). In any case I reinstalled Vista, naturally GRUB was removed from the MBR to be replaced solely by Vista's boot loader.

That's fine, I can deal. Eventually, I opened up my case to take a closer look at my graphics card to see if it was physically damaged, because from the software side it was okay. While I was at it I decided "What the hey, let's clean up this place."

Long story short, the hard drives are now in a different order (but more cleanly organised!) and GRUB had trouble setting up. Cue Super Grub Disk which eventually sussed it out, and GRUB was back in my MBR along with the ability to boot into Linux.

But now I can't boot into Vista. It says "BOOTMGR is missing" and tells me to restart.

I know back in ye olde XP days I would put in a XP disc, reboot, start the recovery console and type "FIXBOOT" or something, and it would then fix everything nice and dandy, but then GRUB would be erased.

How to fix so that GRUB remains in the MBR but I can still boot Vista from it?

tl;dr: Vista won't boot from GRUB. I think the way it works is that GRUB boots the Vista boot loader, which then boots Vista, but the Vista boot loader isn't there. Halp!

theSquid on

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Update: now I've managed to get Vista booting again, although it's written over the MBR. Basically using luck as a factor, I made the hard drive that Vista was on the first to look for to boot something, instead of the Linux drive. The Vista install disc then recognised it as an install that needed startup repairs, so it then repaired it and removed GRUB. Gonna try Super Grub Disc again.

theSquid on