As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

To Warranty or Not

SnowconeSnowcone Registered User regular
I've never owned a laptop before. I've always had one from my employer. That is likely to change as I might be switching employers and won't have a real reason to have one at the new place. That said, I'm probably about to spring for a new C2D laptop and I'm staring at these warranty options and getting irritated.

On one hand I want to get the longest warranty possible to make sure I am covered. On the other, I know how rarely stuff breaks, but I can't repair a laptop like I can a desktop so I don't want a $1000 doorstop.

What's your experience been with laptop warranties? Worth it of waste of money?

In case it matters, I'm looking at HP.

Snowcone on

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Get the warranty

HP's are pretty sturdy in my experience, but when your laptop goes down, and all you can do is stare at it... you hate life

(Luckily, all I need is a new AC adapter. You may not be so lucky :/)

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    computing has reached a little platform and any computer you buy today will probably still kick ass at documents, emails, and internets in 3 years. Laptops are subject to bad things. If you think you'll use it that long, rock it.

But realize it's a gamble with the company makes it who has all the facts. They're betting you whatever amount that it's repair cost will not exceed that amount in the time frame.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sometimes the warranties provide a new battery if the old one needs replaced. This helps the cost of the warranty a lot. I recommend it, just in case. It's definitely worth the peace of mind, in my opinion.

urahonky on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you can't afford to replace something, buy a warranty for it. If you can, don't get the warranty. They wouldn't offer you the warranty unless they came out ahead in the long run. And this is true not only for laptops but any product with a warranty.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Every time you buy a piece of electronics, take an amount of money equal to however much the extended warranty costs and put it in the highest interest savings account you can find.

When something breaks, take the cost out of that account.

Nearly guaranteed to come out ahead.

That said, get a cheaper laptop than that. I mean, really.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    SnowconeSnowcone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I've settled on an $820 model at Costco. The upside here is that Costco extends the warranty to 2 years. For the price, the extra year of warranty saves a ton of money versus purchasing elsewhere.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, its been a long time since I had to buy something like this.

Snowcone on