As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is this the next Wiimote?

oddmentoddment Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
We have had a lot of innovation in the way games are played in the last 15 years or so... some have become mainstream, some have totally failed. This new innovation could have the potential to change the way we play games in the future.
A neuro-headset which interprets the interaction of neurons in the brain will go on sale later this year.

"It picks up electrical activity from the brain and sends wireless signals to a computer," said Tan Le, president of US/Australian firm Emotiv.

"It allows the user to manipulate a game or virtual environment naturally and intuitively," she added.

The brain is made up of about 100 billion nerve cells, or neurons, which emit an electrical impulse when interacting. The headset implements a technology known as non-invasive electroencephalography (EEG) to read the neural activity.

Ms Le said: "Emotiv is a neuro-engineering company and we've created a brain computer interface that reads electrical impulses in the brain and translates them into commands that a video game can accept and control the game dynamically."

Headsets which read neural activity are not new, but Ms Le said the Epoc was the first consumer device that can be used for gaming.

"This is the first headset that doesn't require a large net of electrodes, or a technician to calibrate or operate it and does require gel on the scalp," she said. "It also doesn't cost tens of thousands of dollars."

The use of Electroencephalography in medical practice dates back almost 100 years but it is only since the 1970s that the procedure has been used to explore brain computer interfaces.

The Epoc technology can be used to give authentic facial expressions to avatars of gamers in virtual worlds. For example, if the player smiles, winks, grimaces the headset can detect the expression and translate it to the avatar in game.

It can also read emotions of players and translate those to the virtual world. "The headset could be used to improve the realism of emotional responses of AI characters in games," said Ms Le.

"If you laughed or felt happy after killing a character in a game then your virtual buddy could admonish you for being callous," she explained.

The $299 headset has a gyroscope to detect movement and has wireless capabilities to communicate with a USB dongle plugged into a computer.

The Emotiv said the headset could detects more than 30 different expressions, emotions and actions.

They include excitement, meditation, tension and frustration; facial expressions such as smile, laugh, wink, shock (eyebrows raised), anger (eyebrows furrowed); and cognitive actions such as push, pull, lift, drop and rotate (on six different axis).

Gamers are able to move objects in the world just by thinking of the action.

Emotiv is working with IBM to develop the technology for uses in "strategic enterprise business markets and virtual worlds"

Paul Ledak, vice president, IBM Digital Convergence said brain computer interfaces, like the Epoc headset were an important component of the future 3D Internet and the future of virtual communication.

THOUGHT-CONTROLLED GAMING HEADSET
_44438417_headset_info416.gif
Sensors respond to the electrical impulses behind different thoughts; enabling a user's brain to influence gameplay directly
Conscious thoughts, facial expressions, and non-conscious emotions can all be detected
Gyroscope enables a cursor or camera to be controlled by head movements
The headset uses wi-fi to connect to a computer

So, what do you guys think? Could this be the way forward for gaming control? Could it work for all kinds of games, or would we need a traditional pad to back it up?

PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
oddment84.png
*Thanks Thanatos!
oddment on

• Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    "You mean you have to use your hands? That's like a babies toy!"

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No its not

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

Damn... I don't read that forum and with no search function, I failed hard. Ah well. I was hoping to discuss the potential impact such a device could have on gaming, rather than the technology behind it. If the mods disagree and just want the thread in the tech forum, feel free to lock this. :)

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    saltiness wrote: »
    <3

Glal on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It looks like it's seizure time for kids in Japan!

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RabidDonkeyRabidDonkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    in a couple of years i can see games with ads based on what you are thinking....id hate to see the ads in that game

RabidDonkey on
    Remember, That whenever you do something; always DO IT DONKEY STYLE!!
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I want a game where you play a dude with telekinesis and you get to throw stuff around LITERALLY with your mind, while simultaineously shooting stuff with a light gun / Wiimote. The awesome that such a game would create would infact cause me to orgasm to death, but this is a consequence I am willing to take.

*edit* Make that two lightguns. Or you play a three-armed character and you control one gun with your mind. Excuse me while I clean myself up.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    To go with what Mr Ray is saying, the only way I can see this being all that great is if it's used with say, a Wii-mote or something. This would hardly be a stand alone product. I don't know about you, but being able to make your avatar make funny faces would get old real fast. Implement all of this with a game you play with a controller (Wii-mote or light gun or something would make the most sense), and I can see it being awesome. But even then, $300 type awesome? Probably not.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    "If you laughed or felt happy after killing a character in a game then your virtual buddy could admonish you for being callous," she explained.

Yeah, because that sounds fun!

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It's entirely possible this kind of technology will come down in price by the time the next generation of consoles is out. I was thinking, in terms of FPS's, you would definatley need some kind of pad to help out. You could have a one handed controller akin to the nunchuk with one analog stick and a few extra buttons (trigger button, start button, and an extra general purpose button perhaps). You could control the camera with the headset, as well as picking up things and opening doors and such, then use the analog stick to move the character and the trigger to shoot. Throwing grenades may be difficult, but maybe hold the general purpose button down to take the pin off the grenade, use the headset to set the trajectory, and then let go of the button to release it.
    In multiplayer and co-op, the emotion reading aspect would be good to show your utter joy at killing the enemy, or your horror at being sniped.

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Most of what you described there is completely counter-intuitive though. I don't open doors with my mind, I open them with my hand. Likewise with throwing grenades. It makes much more sense to have these activities tied to controllers, possibly with motion sensor, held in or attached to your hand.

The only thing you described which might not be completely counter intuitive would be using the headset to look around, but why would you need EEG sensors for that? A motion-sensing headset would be much more sensible.

Using it for telekinetic powers might be cool, although I'd wonder if we all imagine how it would feel to be telekinetic the same way and whether or not it would be frustrating for some people who would visualize 'moving objects with their mind' differently from how the engineers who designed the headset do. I don't know how well it works though, maybe it can detect the brainwave patterns if, say, I actually make the motion of throwing a grenade with my arm and hand. If it is that clever then you could just by-pass controllers altogether (although you'd still want them in some situations, say for force feedback, unless they bring out a next gen model than fires electricity into your brain causing your bodies nervous system to simulate feedback directly).

The emotion side of things is what could be really interesting. That would genuinely open up a whole new aspect of video game interfacing and offer opportunities for designing whole new types of games as well as elements within games. Imagine a squad-based FPS where the morale of your squad is affected by your own morale or a Resident Evil game that can acutely respond to your own fear or entirely new game sub-genres where the gameplay revolves entirely around achieving an outcome through control of your own emotions.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So it has a gyro in the headset. Does that mean I have to waggle my head to do stuff? Cuz I have a bad neck and I'd really hate to throw my neck out trying to waggle my way to victory.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    saltiness wrote: »
    <3

:lol:

It's finally the future!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They should attach a fluffy mullet wig to it and market it as "Headbanging Hero". That's basically a license to print money.

Trevor on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I can't believe nobody's thought of this yet.

Epoc + Wiimote = Jedi. Imagine a game like The Force Unleashed where all the force moves are done in your mind with 1-1 Wiimote lightsaber control. Heck, I wouldn't even need a game to buy that, just a combat simulator or something.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    'Think up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-start to enter the cheat menu!'

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They need to make this a Wii peripheral.

Wiimote for controlling your lightsaber

EEG headset for your force powers

D:

Edit: Terrendos. Yes.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Most of what you described there is completely counter-intuitive though. I don't open doors with my mind, I open them with my hand. Likewise with throwing grenades. It makes much more sense to have these activities tied to controllers, possibly with motion sensor, held in or attached to your hand.

This is where you are wrong, you DO open doors with your mind. You do EVERYTHING with your mind. The only question is the sensitivity of it. Move your hand like you are opening a door, or just THINK about moving your hand like you are opening a door and you are sending out brainwaves to that effect. A sensitive enough headset could detect that. this thing probably isn't there yet, but when perfected it would be the epitome of intuitive.

You would walk by thinking about walking, run by thinking about that, etc... Again, this isn't there yet and cannot detect that level of detail, but it will get there eventually. In our lifetimes? Maybe.

But the technology would not require a peripheral, in fact that would be redundant. The headset would read your brains signals as you use the peripheral and could do all that stuff on its own without it. You could be holding a stick.

The real question for THIS perpheral and what brainwaves it is sensing. What does it mean by six degrees of freedom for movement, is it reading impulses you send out to control arm muscles? If so, then a wiimote would interfere with that. Or are they somehow detecting some vague emotion of floating to determine 'up'?

We'd have to play with it to see what thoughts are required for movement controls.

Smudge on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What would be nice is having the on-screen pointer point at exactly what you're looking at.

Mayday on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Smudge wrote: »

This is where you are wrong, you DO open doors with your mind. You do EVERYTHING with your mind. The only question is the sensitivity of it. Move your hand like you are opening a door, or just THINK about moving your hand like you are opening a door and you are sending out brainwaves to that effect. A sensitive enough headset could detect that. this thing probably isn't there yet, but when perfected it would be the epitome of intuitive.

You would walk by thinking about walking, run by thinking about that, etc... Again, this isn't there yet and cannot detect that level of detail, but it will get there eventually. In our lifetimes? Maybe.

But the technology would not require a peripheral, in fact that would be redundant. The headset would read your brains signals as you use the peripheral and could do all that stuff on its own without it. You could be holding a stick.

The real question for THIS perpheral and what brainwaves it is sensing. What does it mean by six degrees of freedom for movement, is it reading impulses you send out to control arm muscles? If so, then a wiimote would interfere with that. Or are they somehow detecting some vague emotion of floating to determine 'up'?

We'd have to play with it to see what thoughts are required for movement controls.

No, you're wrong. I don't think about it when I open a door. I just open the fucking door. Having to visualize opening a door is more difficult (not to mention probably using completely different parts of your brain) than just reaching out and opening a door.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think what he is getting at is you do think about opening the door. It's just that it's so second nature to you that you don't realize it. If we had to consiously think about doing every little thing we would be useless. Could you imagine having to think about breathing, beating your heart, or blinking? That would suck. Even though it seems like we are doing these things automatically we are not. We are in essence the ultimate multitaskers.

On this subject I remember playing a "mind-control" game many many years ago. I had to slip a little cover on my finger to control a skier going down hill. If I focused on the left side of my brain he would stear left and visa versa. It was pretty cool but not very practical. Even if this endover falls a little flat I hope that the designers don't stop trying to develop it. It really is the path to total emersion.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The one thing that I always wonder about these kinds of things is how to keep the computer from reading every little impulse and flash-in-the-pan thought you have once we get this advanced to such a scale. The last thing I need is to be playing Alien vs. Predator only to alt-tab out to XenoLovin.com because I read about H. R. Giger's wang obsession earlier in the day.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sorenson wrote: »
    The one thing that I always wonder about these kinds of things is how to keep the computer from reading every little impulse and flash-in-the-pan thought you have once we get this advanced to such a scale. The last thing I need is to be playing Alien vs. Predator only to alt-tab out to XenoLovin.com because I read about H. R. Giger's wang obsession earlier in the day.

That makes me think of an interesting new tactic for online games.

"Hey, don't think of disconnecting"

"What? Why would I think of-"

<Player2 has left the game>

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sounds cool, but I doubt it will ever take off since it probably requires a greater attention span than the prepubescent shitheads who seem to drive the gaming market would have.

Seriously, can you imagine DeezNutz244 off Xbox Live having the cranial fortitude to make thought detection worthwhile?

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sounds cool, but I doubt it will ever take off since it probably requires a greater attention span than the prepubescent shitheads who seem to drive the gaming market would have.

Seriously, can you imagine DeezNutz244 off Xbox Live having the cranial fortitude to make thought detection worthwhile?

It's not like thing unlocks your latent physic abilities. The idea is if you can do it in real life, you can do it in game, just without all the hassle of buttons or flapping your arms. Thing is, it's probably still waaay to early for this thing to be in the market. You're not going to be able to play half life with this thing, you'll be messing around with software they make with the headset, which probably won't be more then tech demos. Even those will most likely be clumsy and awkward to use.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The main problem I see if they actually manage to make it read your mind and transfer the actions into the game is you would have to sit perfectly still while playing the game. Because if you reach over, grab a coke, and take a drink then the game is going to make your character reach over, try to grab something, and raise their hand to their mouth.

Unless they can figure out someway to "filter" out actions that you are performing but don't intend your character to perform, I can't see this being a very plausible game-input device. Even something as simple as stretching your legs could mess up whatever you are trying to do in the game.

Last Son on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Yeah, because that sounds fun!

This will be great when Rose can tell Raiden/you what an asshole you are for the 17th time in MGS5.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    The main problem I see if they actually manage to make it read your mind and transfer the actions into the game is you would have to sit perfectly still while playing the game. Because if you reach over, grab a coke, and take a drink then the game is going to make your character reach over, try to grab something, and raise their hand to their mouth.

Unless they can figure out someway to "filter" out actions that you are performing but don't intend your character to perform, I can't see this being a very plausible game-input device. Even something as simple as stretching your legs could mess up whatever you are trying to do in the game.

Your brain can do this on its own. There was an experiment with giving a monkey a robotic arm that would mirror its real arm's movements, which the monkey eventually learned to control independently of its real arm.

Garthor on
  • Options
    JextJext Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The potential of this after some more years in development seems endless to me, if they can make it work in a sensible way. Imagine playing an RTS game and controlling several armies at once while building your base and expanding. The limits aren't on your hands or ability to click fast, but simply your pure multitasking brain power.

Nomatter what the game objective or style would be, you'd still be owning people with your brain. The thought of this satisfaction in competitive play arouses me sexually.

Jext on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Greg USN wrote: »
    Could you imagine having to think about breathing, beating your heart, or blinking? That would suck.
    You... you guys don't have to do that?

Anyway, gotta go -- eyes are starting to feel dry. :(

gilrain on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Garthor wrote: »

Your brain can do this on its own. There was an experiment with giving a monkey a robotic arm that would mirror its real arm's movements, which the monkey eventually learned to control independently of its real arm.

Why did they do that experiment with a monkey? If it was to test what you were suggesting, couldn't it have been easier to test with a human?

Shens on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Shens wrote: »
    Garthor wrote: »

Why did they do that experiment with a monkey? If it was to test what you were suggesting, couldn't it have been easier to test with a human?

They're kinda leery about sticking piles of electrodes into people's heads. I'm sure human testing is planned once they determine that there are no bad side effects.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    nosnibornosnibor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I do not aim with my hand;
    He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my hand;
    He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun;
    He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.
    From Stephen King's The Dark Tower series

nosnibor on
    When you're a spy, it's a good idea to give away your trade secrets in a voiceover on a TV show.
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I clicked on this thread thinking that Nintendo actually apologized for that travesty they call a controller for the wii and released something comfortable and ergonomic.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    nosnibor wrote: »
    I do not aim with my hand;
    He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my hand;
    He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun;
    He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.
    From Stephen King's The Dark Tower series

<3<3

redfenix on
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Crashmo wrote: »
    They need to make this a Wii peripheral.

Wiimote for controlling your lightsaber

EEG headset for your force powers

D:

Edit: Terrendos. Yes.

This is something I've suggested before, but you could just tack a device like this onto a game like Jedi Knight and use it to determine dark side points or whatever you want to call it. Basically you have to remain calm when using force powers or you gain dark side points.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088