Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Ace Combat Thread (NSF56k)

Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
Hello and welcome, boys and girls, to the Ace Combat thread! What's Ace Combat, you ask? Well, I'll tell you. It's a series of semi-realistic flight combat games, and it kicks ass. When I say semi-realistic, I mean it's an arcade-style series, with the abilities of the planes being greatly exaggerated. Real planes can't hold 100 missiles! The games are praised for their stunning graphics and music, engrossing stories and balls-to-the-wall action.

The games take place in an alternate Earth, with different landmasses and history, but with real-world jets. Many of the game's stories revolve around the aftermath of an asteroid hitting the earth, and the effect it had on the various nations.

I haven't played the first three on the PSX, or the PSP version, so this post will just cover 4, 5, 0, and 6. Let's get crackin'! This is my first OP of this sort, so please go easy on me and forgive me if it sucks, which it probably will.

ACE COMBAT 04: SHATTERED SKIES
Ac04box.jpg
Released in 2001, Ace Combat 04 is regarded by many, including me, as the high point of the series. It tells the story of the Continental War, fought between the nation of Erusia and the Independent State Allied Forces, or ISAF. You play as Mobius 1, and it's your job to kick ass and take names. The cutscenes are stylized still animations, narrated by a civilian during the war. They don't follow the direct actions of Mobius 1, but rather the effects of the war on his town.

ACE COMBAT 5: THE UNSUNG WAR
Ac5box.jpg
Released in 2004, Ace Combat 5 brings more to the table: more jets, more missions, more characters, and more great music. I personally think that this entry has the best music of the series. You play as Blaze, part of the Wardog Squadron of Osea in the war against Yuktobania. Ace Combat 5 introduced wingman commands; you had three wingmen in your squad, and besides from constantly delivering annoying dialogue, they could be ordered to cover you, attack targets in front of you, or disperse and engage enemy targets freely. The game also features an arcade mode, where you get to retake the mantle of Mobius 1, and play some fast-paced missions against enemy targets, but with a twist: you have extremely limited ammo, and need to destroy enemies to get more.

ACE COMBAT ZERO: THE BELKAN WAR
USAbox-acz.jpg
Released in 2006, Ace Combat Zero is a prequel to Ace Combat 5. It tells the story of the Belkan War, and how that nation became as fucked up as it is. You play as Galm 1, or Cipher, and you're accomponied by your wingman, Pixy. The game introduces an 'Ace Style' gauge, which changes depending on how you play the missions. You can either be ranked Soldier, Mercenary, or Knight. Mercenaries destroy all nonessential targets, Knights spare them, and Soliders find a balance between the two. The cutscenes and enemies you face change depending on your gauge. AC0 also features one of the most kickass songs ever:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQsWpcwvmI0. You know you love it.

ACE COMBAT 6: FIRES OF LIBERATION
AC6_front.jpg
The first Ace Combat game on a next generation console, AC6 was released in 2007 for the Xbox 360. Though it features fewer missions and aircraft then its predecessors, they're bigger, more jam-packed with targets, and far better looking. You are Garuda 1, known as Talisman, and your wingman is Shamrock. The big new feature in this entry, besides online play, is the dynamic operation system - most missions feature different operations, and you can choose which ones you want to clear, making for greater replay value. Namco has released downloadable content in the form of new jet colors from previous games, such as the Mobius 1 Raptor. These are more than just cosmetic, as they change the attributes of the planes. The game also introduces ESM fields, which, if they're from your allies, can increase the maneuverability of your missiles. The reverse also applies - wander into enemy ESM and you'll have a hell of a time dodging shit.

So that's my brief summary for each game I've played. Let's talk about 'em now. Which is YOUR favorite game? Favorite missions and aircraft? What do you want to see in Ace Combat 7?

Muramasa18 on
«13456760

Posts

  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have to say that my favorite is Zero. The different paint schemes, multiple paths, and different endings keep me coming back to the game. Especially the Assault Records; I can't help but keep playing it until I have every ace's data.

    My wish for Ace Combat 7 is that it'll be on a system that I actually have, and not tease me by being on the 360.

    Yo, Buddy. Still alive?

    DaMoonRulz on
    19904925_10212110475210016_877199487209228783_n.jpg?oh=da06b077303b0c8114ab8b0fbb667c4f&oe=59C4B278

    "Democracy is based on the assumption that a million men are smarter than one man. How's that again? I missed something" Lazarus Long

  • Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I only just got Zero the other day but it kicks ass. I love the 'surprise' in mission 12 I think it is. Even though I knew it was gonna happen, I didn't know it was gonna be in a mission like that.

    Muramasa18 on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ace Combat rocks!

    Ace Combat 4 was the first one I ever played so it reigns as my favorite. I also have Ace Combat 6 and I think I am on the last mission now. There were some "HOLY FUCKING GOD" moments in 6.

    Axen on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I loved the storytelling in 4, but 5 is my favorite on the strength of the mission design and cinematic feel.

    I have mixed feelings about 6. Looks gorgeous, and I like the way the planes handle. High-G turns in particular add some strategy in the form of energy management. But the first few lines of dialogue were the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard, and it got progressively worse from there. And a few missions really annoyed me. So I really didn't like the single player. Somehow I thought I'd play online a lot more, but it just hasn't held my interest. Nobody team chats, battles are complete chaos, and there's nonstop SP weapon spamming, which doesn't get any better at close range due to the QAAMs.

    Tiemler on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just have to say that Ace Combat 5 has the worst characters in anything ever.

    But aside from that, it's probably my favorite game in the series. The mission design is better than the rest and the missions feel far more grandiose than the missions in any AC game before or after it.

    But seriously, the characters and the writing attached to them are awful.

    Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    2 is still my favourite. but its pretty much tied with 4

    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'll agree that the dialogue was shit in most of 5 and 6, but I love 'em anyway. I wish there was a wingman command for 'shut the hell up'. The other thing I didn't like about 6 was that there were too many air-to-ground missions. Air-to-air is far more fun IMO, and Zero has them by the assload.

    Muramasa18 on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Muramasa18 wrote: »
    I'll agree that the dialogue was shit in most of 5 and 6, but I love 'em anyway. I wish there was a wingman command for 'shut the hell up'. The other thing I didn't like about 6 was that there were too many air-to-ground missions. Air-to-air is far more fun IMO, and Zero has them by the assload.

    What I liked about AC6 was that the missions were a bit more realistic in what they actually expected you to do.

    What I didn't like about AC6 was that the missions were a bit more realistic in what they actually expected you to do.

    It's nice being just another cog in the machine providing close air support and that your allies in the air and on the ground aren't completely worthless, but it's just not all that exciting.

    Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mobius One. Doesn't need any stupid-ass Angels or Demons or any other fancy title like that.

    He's just Mobius motherfucking One.

    Dartboy on
  • StriferStrifer Registered User
    edited February 2008
    AC0 has some of the most memorable music in the series. I'm itching to buy the soundtrack when I finally find the money to do so.

    I have managed to find a copy of Ace Combat 5: Unsung Wa... wait, Ace Combat: Squadron Leader as it was released in PAL. And AC4 was called Desert Strike. Desert fucking Strike. The games were awesome, though.

    Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Strifer wrote: »
    AC0 has some of the most memorable music in the series. I'm itching to buy the soundtrack when I finally find the money to do so.

    I have managed to find a copy of Ace Combat 5: Unsung Wa... wait, Ace Combat: Squadron Leader as it was released in PAL. And AC4 was called Desert Strike. Desert fucking Strike. The games were awesome, though.

    It was Distant Thunder, actually, but close enough.

    Muramasa18 on
  • StriferStrifer Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Muramasa18 wrote: »
    Strifer wrote: »
    AC0 has some of the most memorable music in the series. I'm itching to buy the soundtrack when I finally find the money to do so.

    I have managed to find a copy of Ace Combat 5: Unsung Wa... wait, Ace Combat: Squadron Leader as it was released in PAL. And AC4 was called Desert Strike. Desert fucking Strike. The games were awesome, though.

    It was Distant Thunder, actually, but close enough.

    I have checked, I concede, it's Distant Thunder.
    It's still retarded.

    Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's not a bad title, but I just don't see where they got it from.

    Muramasa18 on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I would think "Distant Thunder" has to do with the fact that if a plane like one of these were very close, aka on top of you, and you were on the earth, you would only hear a distant thunder, thanks to the speed of sound not being as fast as these guys.


    Just a distant guess.

    Icemopper on
  • Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You know you've failed at character development when the player _rejoices_ at the death of his teammate.
    AC5, chopper eats it at the stadium
    he fucking deserved it

    Zero had probably the most compelling story, even if it was over the top. Pixy is a badass. Despite his name.

    Haven't played 6 yet but my friends say it's a return to AC5-esque faggotry. :(

    Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think I'm the only one who enjoyed the characters in 5.

    Alternate thread title: "Angels and Demons Dance with Ribbons in a World with no Boundaries"

    PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    I think I'm the only one who enjoyed the characters in 5.

    I enjoyed them too.
    when they were dying in a horrible coffin of twisted steel

    Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Meh, I liked Chopper, but Nagase and Grimm got on my nerves.

    So has anybody played the PSP version?

    Muramasa18 on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think may favorite mission was in 4. The one where you take part in the D-Day style invasion of that city at night. The music playing and the local radio station giving reports from the ground plus playing their nation's Anthem. Truly epic.

    Axen on
  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Axen wrote: »
    I think may favorite mission was in 4. The one where you take part in the D-Day style invasion of that city at night. The music playing and the local radio station giving reports from the ground plus playing their nation's Anthem. Truly epic.

    yes. this.

    also "oh god, they've all got ribbons!" "calm down, we're yellows! we can beat them!"

    or something to that effect. last mission in 4

    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Muramasa18 wrote: »
    Meh, I liked Chopper, but Nagase and Grimm got on my nerves.

    So has anybody played the PSP version?


    Heh. I would put Nagase as my favorite character, then Chopper, and then Grimm. But really, I thought each character had their good qualities.

    I didn't hear many good things about the PSP version, but speaking of 5, the narrator is supposedly Gennette again.

    PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You know you've failed at character development when the player _rejoices_ at the death of his teammate.
    AC5, chopper eats it at the stadium
    he fucking deserved it

    Zero had probably the most compelling story, even if it was over the top. Pixy is a badass. Despite his name.

    Haven't played 6 yet but my friends say it's a return to AC5-esque faggotry. :(

    since 5 was my first AC, maybe i'm biased. But in my opinion, 6 is worse than 5. Too short, and the story was sooo much worse and the characters were infinitely more annoying than Nagase

    VoodooV on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Im looking for a combat game. I was going to buy Mediocre combat but Ace Combat sounds a better game. Worth a buy?

    The_Scarab on
    scarab you have mental problems
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yes. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

    PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ace Combat 5 was my first in the series, and I loved every cheesy bit of it even the use of the POD song (I think they thought the singer was saying 'This plane you gave to me' instead of 'This pain you gave to me' because otherwise there's just no reason for that song to be there but oh well).

    So yeah, I fell for AC5's bait hook line and sinker.

    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I played the demo of AC6 when that hit during e3 I think with the Bringing it Home.

    It was totally not what I was expecting. Very arcadey. Pretty amazing graphics.

    Ive heard the games kinda stray into the realms of sci fi or alternate futures later on. is that true? that sounds pretty great.

    the edge review mentioned like capital ships in the sky or something. it all sounds good.

    The_Scarab on
    scarab you have mental problems
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I played the demo of AC6 when that hit during e3 I think with the Bringing it Home.

    It was totally not what I was expecting. Very arcadey. Pretty amazing graphics.

    Ive heard the games kinda stray into the realms of sci fi or alternate futures later on. is that true? that sounds pretty great.

    the edge review mentioned like capital ships in the sky or something. it all sounds good.

    Yeah it gets kind of out there at times with orbital laser platforms and such and it rocks when you're facing a fucking huge ass spaceship shooting homing lasers at you while you do strafing runs on it.

    While in the atmosphere though, you're not actually going INTO space.

    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The stories are part of the appeal of the games. They are very sci-fi and alternate reality, often reaching very epic and melodramatic levels. Totally not what you would expect from a modern flight sim. And even then, it's more reminiscent of Rogue Squadron than ATF NATO Fighters or something.

    Great series, though I must admit I've never completed one besides 4. Nothing will ever reach the heights of that final mission, I'm afraid :)

    Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, the mission in 6 when you fight the heavy command cruiser was my favorite. Generally speaking, attacking enemy superweapons tend to be my favorite missions.

    Best superweapon? Stonehenge IMO.

    Muramasa18 on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The psp version has excellent presentation, just pretty horrible to control. It does feel better to control with the silm & lite psp model though

    Ziggymon on
    I have REZ for the Dreamcast PAL for sale £35. Other Excellent retro games for sale PM for details
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So about Chopper.
    He really did deserve to die. Because he was annoying? No, not really. He deserved to die because he was stupid.

    In fact, were he smarter, he wouldn't have died at all. Let's ignore the fact that he refused to eject because his plane might land on the city below despite the fact that you've all been shooting down enemy aircraft over the city for fifteen fucking minutes and those pilots don't seem so enthusiastic about killing themselves to save the people in the city.

    Right, so we're ignoring that. In the time it took for him to get hit and for his electronics to fry and leave him unable to eject, he could have very easily done one of two things that would have been less potentially harmful to the city than flying his jet into a stadium at high speeds.

    Firstly, he could have aimed his plane at one of the several large hills and mountains in and around the city. If you look closely at them, they are uninhabited.

    Secondly, he could have easily flown out to the ocean and dropped his plane harmlessly into the water.

    But he does neither. He just kills himself because he was a moron and clearly deserved to die.

    Also, I like to stick him in a two-seater plane so that I can imagine his co-pilot screaming at him to stop being so stupid while he's refusing to eject.

    Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pretty good points.
    I wish Grimm had died instead.

    Muramasa18 on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Great series, though I must admit I've never completed one besides 4. Nothing will ever reach the heights of that final mission, I'm afraid :)

    AC5 has a truly epic trench run, though.

    Tiemler on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    One thing that made me laugh in AC5 was how sometimes your wingmen would talk about the 'amazing moves' being made when it's like nothing special.

    Especially the mission where you fly a trainer jet.

    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have the PSP Ace Combat game. I guess I should play it. I've played 4, 5, and Zero.

    Renzo on
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I still fucking love the PSX ones. Air Combat was the first console game I ever bought (I bought a PSX just for it).

    http://www.basticle.net/misc/Air%20Combat%20-%20Track%2007.mp3

    Music from mission 4 I think. Pumps me the fuck up to this day.

    Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I played the demo of AC6 when that hit during e3 I think with the Bringing it Home.

    It was totally not what I was expecting. Very arcadey. Pretty amazing graphics.

    Ive heard the games kinda stray into the realms of sci fi or alternate futures later on. is that true? that sounds pretty great.

    the edge review mentioned like capital ships in the sky or something. it all sounds good.

    Yeah it gets kind of out there at times with orbital laser platforms and such and it rocks when you're facing a fucking huge ass spaceship shooting homing lasers at you while you do strafing runs on it.

    While in the atmosphere though, you're not actually going INTO space.

    Sweet holy moses this sounds like the greatest thing ever.

    The_Scarab on
    scarab you have mental problems
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I played the demo of AC6 when that hit during e3 I think with the Bringing it Home.

    It was totally not what I was expecting. Very arcadey. Pretty amazing graphics.

    Ive heard the games kinda stray into the realms of sci fi or alternate futures later on. is that true? that sounds pretty great.

    the edge review mentioned like capital ships in the sky or something. it all sounds good.

    Yeah it gets kind of out there at times with orbital laser platforms and such and it rocks when you're facing a fucking huge ass spaceship shooting homing lasers at you while you do strafing runs on it.

    While in the atmosphere though, you're not actually going INTO space.

    Sweet holy moses this sounds like the greatest thing ever.

    Yeah each game has at least one superweapon of doom.

    Renzo on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Does each one also have at least one Trench Run reenactment or did that end with 5?

    Sorenson on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Does each one also have at least one Trench Run reenactment or did that end with 5?

    Nope 6 had one.


    Also is retaking Gracemeria the last mission of AC6?

    Axen on
«13456760
Sign In or Register to comment.