As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comic Creators Thread: Ways to Stay Motivated, Creative, and Productive?

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jordyn wrote: »
    speed force

mass effect fields

magic

Same thing, different names

Solar on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh god I am writing a Protector miniseries that will never be published ever

It's good scripting practice

but it's fanfiction

I feel so dirty

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I fiddle with similar things every now and then. I wrote a three-page Elongated Man story a while back, which I plan to draw eventually.

Tonight, I was thinking of doing a short story about a hypothetical Thunderbolts Gamma team, populated with C-list villains that were picked up on non-violent crimes, and are put to work until their sentences are up. Armadillo gets popped for tax evasion, a very bored Leap-Frog willfully violates the conditions of his parole so he can join the team, Rocket Raccoon's nemesis Blackjack O'Hare is on loan from SWORD's holding facilities, Joystick is the team's unlikely straight woman, and Atlas begrudgingly oversees the entire operation, as a personal favor to the original Thunderbolts.

Really, I just want to see Atlas chuck Armadillo at someone.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Mine came about because I finally read Marvel Boy and like Noh-Varr as him AND Protector so fuck it I will reconcile it myself.

Plus, it's about time the kid learns the Supreme Intelligence isn't alive.

Really, I am shocked Marvel hasn't put out anything with Noh-Varr. They had a back-up in Ms. Marvel 50 and that's it.

No one-shot, no miniseries, no nothing.

Give me something, Marvel.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »

but it's fanfiction

I feel so dirty

A worthy cause

brother

Also fuck yes I want more Protector stuff Marvel you hacks

Solar on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There is nothing inherently wrong with fan fiction, and anyone who says so is an idiot. A lot of it sucks because a lot, no, most, of everything sucks. That's no reason not to try, which thankfully this thread has proven over and over again. Fan fiction is how I got my writing contract, same as pretty much everyone else who has written for the IP since the original creators brought on new folks.

The bitch of comics is that writers have to generally produce a finished product of writing and art, but doing nothing isn't going to get you anywhere and it its a good place to start in developing ideas and an appreciation for the pacing and construction necessary to making your own story, since that is what gets writers jobs. Its not like fan fiction is being used as a submission, mainly because editors cannot and will not read it, but if you want to write then just write. Something else will come along, and if it doesn't then perhaps that is something else of a concern. Writing begets more writing.

Plus Noh-Varr is cool. He deserves something to be done with him. I like my Marvel family idea, but I haven't worked on it since 2009. It's disappointing that he's on the big time Avengers team and yet not much seems to have changed.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't know if there is a lot in the Noh-varr character. He was an alien who based his opinion of humanity on a lunatic who tried to vivisect him. There were a lot of neat ideas in Marvel Boy, and some truly amazing sequences with phenomenal art, but the character is basically Namor 2.0

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Which is why the Marvel Boy issue of The Illuminati was great. That's why Namors little speach and whoopin' he delivered to Noh-Var felt so right.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, having read a whole bunch of Noh-Varr stuff in preperation for writing this I actually enjoy the growth he's gone through a lot more.

He was a rebellious arrogant teenager who was forced to grow up very fast.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wish I had read a single thing with noh varr

Need to know who is wrong here

Banking on blank

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'd like to see some insight into the mindscrew that comes with understanding his role as coming from a Skrull impersonating Mar-Vell. I'd also like to see how he interacts with Teddy, who also had an amazing conversation with Skrull-Vell, about their lifes and roles as symbols. More importantly, they have a certain destiny that has to come into play at some point in how the Kree Empire sees both young men.

Wish I had read a single thing with noh varr

Need to know who is wrong here

Banking on blank
    You choose ... poorly.

Noh-Varr once burned the words "Fuck You" in city-block-sized letters in Manhattan and fought, holy shit, a lot of crazy things up to and including a sentient corporation. And, yes, at some point I would like to know who/what that "Supreme Intelligence" was that made him into Protector.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's dependent on what you read first

if you loved him in Marvel Boy then you'll probably not like what he has become

if you loved him from Secret Invasion on then you will probably dig the hell out of it

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    GOD DAMN IT!
    Fucking forums server needs to die.
    He needs to be in space battling threats from beyond time, space, and reality as we know it. He also needs a Thanos.

Dark Avengers Annual, Dark Reign: The List: Wolverine, Marvel Boy, Civil War: Young Avengers/Runaways, and a couple of issues of Ms. Marvel including his backup piece in #50. It's not a big list, but it's a fun list. I'm not a fan of Reed (obviously), but the backup has some neat toys that come from the fact that there were like six different time-travel stories coming out around that time, and Reed had just done his 2099 crossover mini.
    His future-version girlfriend's readout "Chronally insignificant" when she targeted a civilian in the fast food joint where she and Noh-Varr fight was hilarious.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Disagree

He needs to be on Earth, with the Avengers.

Kree Heroes are a dime a dozen in space.

On Earth he'll have time to live up to Mar-Vell's legacy.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well, I'm not saying he has to only be in space. I don't think Cosmic Marvel deserves him just yet.

But even battling dudes beneath Dr. Doom's stature is a waste of his abilities.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Man you can't have a guy who ONLY fights the big bad supervillains

even Thor gets into a fistfight with Grey Gargoyle sometimes

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Someone really should do a photoshop/drawing/whatever with One Eye (from Orc Stain) getting one of those hammers from the fear itself thing.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I meant on Earth.

But seriously, that is exactly what he would say too.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »

but it's fanfiction

I feel so dirty

I started writing a story set in the Fallout universe in South Dakota. I felt a little dirty for that.

The characters are my own creations at least.

Also there's poop jokes.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Poop jokes? Ever since the cancellation of JLU, Jordyn's life has been one big cry for help.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ah. The fastest way to my heart is through the anus. Not necessarily mine or yours, but butts are involved.

One of these days I'm going to be interviewed by the New York Times and they are going to have to ask me about poop. And I don't know if the smile on my face at that thought is joy or embarassment.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Another comic page.
    2yw7psx.jpg

I'm moving onto the next one now, but I'll probably fix the second panel, before I ink all the pages. That vine/noose in the fourth panel's also needs work.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I think Panel 5 needs the most work

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    liquiddarkliquiddark Odd magpie St. John's, NLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TCAF in T-dot in less than two weeks, for those in Southern Ontario/North Eastern US. Looks like it's gonna be hawt.

liquiddark on
    Current project: Contension, a realtime tactics game for mobile
    @oldmanhero .programming .web comic .everything
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't understand what you are saying.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    TCAF is the Toronto Comic Arts Festival. It's an annual (previously biannual) creator-centric con-type affair held in Toronto. Bunch of cool guests this year, and a huge list of interesting people showing their stuff.

liquiddark on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I think Panel 5 needs the most work
    Yeah, I fixed Kookaburra's head and legs in that one. They looked kinda weird.

Also, I'm crawling ever closer to completion, having started inking the pages yesterday.
    This is just a really quick/not final toning job, without my usual nitpicky digital corrections. But, it'll give you an idea of what the finished linework will resemble.

KookaburraPanelsTest2.bmp

I'm not going to hit my self-imposed Saturday deadline, but all the pages should be inked by then. Then, I'll just have to do some digital corrections, toning, and lettering. I may leave the coloring for later.

One thing that kind of sucks, is that I hadn't used this brand of ink, on this brand of paper before. So, until I started inking these pages, I didn't realize that the lines would bleed slightly, due to the watery quality of the ink, and the strange absorbency of the paper. I don't think it's super-noticeable, but it's slowing me down a bit as I adjust to compensate.

I also decided to do digital panel borders. I'd originally planned to do them by hand, since I've heard some people remark they don't care for the overly neat, perfect look of digital borders. But I though the hand-drawn ones just looked like garbage.

Munch on
  • Options
    DessartDessart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How far in advance do you plot/outline your stories? I've read in a lot of interviews with various writers that they only know the start/finish of their story and they make up the rest as they go. I'm currently making an outline of my entire story, and then I will begin to script. Should I be more free in my writing?

Dessart on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hey O! I've been trying to find inking and colouring tutorials recently, mainly cos i'm horrific at both, but found this Lettering Tutorial at CA that was really informative, thought it may help.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I personally have never written a story in chronological order

As in

I'll think up a scene or an idea, and mold a story around it

Could be the end

Could be the beginning

Could be something that happens five pages in

Then I just kinda jump around until I have enough for a whole story

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I generally don't think of endings for comic stories where everything is over

Because superhero comics don't tend to end, and I like that

Arcs need to have beginning/middle/ending but overall you never need to be thinking "and then this guy is going to die doing this" because that is just another story to get to later on.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Outlining is a useful activity, but it's not the only way to do things. Most of the writers I know do outlines but they don't worry about following them all that closely. I only got the outline for Old Man Hero nailed down in April, after 4 years of building it piecewise. I do find that having an outline puts a lot of stuff in focus, but it takes me a lot of work to get to the point where I can put together an outline that's worth anything.

At the end of the day, it's got to be organic to your writing process. If you start by building a narrative in detail, outlines will help a lot. If you start with 5 scenes and a couple of characters, it might be more useful to work on the universe of the story first.

liquiddark on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have found an artist for one of my projects, and she has been looking for a writer for one of her ideas

we will be making stuff eventually, but we're starting out with character designs for my thing tonight

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Jeff Parker talks about writing and the creative process.
    A lot of writers are intimidated by a blank page, so I'll offer this simple practice I eventually adopted; maybe it will help. I have a word document that's broken up into a script template with all the pages my story will have and with five panels set aside on each because that is the ideal limit of panels, for me. Some cases will call for several panels, some pages need just two, but the point is it fills in and provides a skeleton I can start hanging muscle and skin on. Here's what it looks like...

PAGE FOUR

Panel 1/

CHARACTER:

CHARACTER:

Panel 2/

CHARACTER:

CHARACTER:

Panel 3/

CHARACTER:

CHARACTER:

Panel 4/

CHARACTER:

CHARACTER:

Panel 5/

CHARACTER:

CHARACTER:

Very simple, but you'd be surprised how much it helps. You can make one of these in a few minutes, there — take mine. I often have many more people speaking than two, often none. Next to the panel number I describe the scene because for me it works best to say what we're seeing followed by who is saying what.

And, here's a page I inked a while ago, with some slap-dash tones. I'm behind schedule further than I wanted to be, due to my real job (sorry TLB), but I only have a couple of pages left to ink.
    KookaburraPanelsTest3.bmp

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Jeff Parker is a cool guy and a great writer. I'll take tips from him any day of the week.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    GOD DAMN YOU MUNCH

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I mean, don't you realize your only true job is to be but a cog in the onslaught machine that is EL CHUPACABRA: ACE DETECTIVE

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    "Cog in the onslaught machine that is EL CHUPACABRA: ACE DETECTIVE" will look great on a resume.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Speaking of really helpful things... does anyone know of any decent Photoshop colouring tutorials or anything of that nature? I'm finally starting to scan and colour some of my stuff but I have ZERO experience with Photoshop.

...know the fuck outta msPaint though.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Munch wrote: »
    "Cog in the onslaught machine that is EL CHUPACABRA: ACE DETECTIVE" will look great on a resume.

you can't list me as a reference, however

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg