As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's your definition of "Gamer?"

13»

• Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Xtarath wrote: »
    These threads almost always turn into arguments. :(

But I might as well add what I think.

They should know at least 5 Third-party developers so they don't just think that hey I played halo and was the dude in the shiny suit so I am gamer! Time for a kegger!

keg%20dude%20small.jpg

Totally rad! Uhhh what's next? Word up dawg?

Xtarath on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

They should know at least 5 Third-party developers so they don't just think that hey I played halo and was the dude in the shiny suit so I am gamer! Time for a kegger!

keg%20dude%20small.jpg

what's next?!?! WE BREAK OUT THE MADDEN!!!

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Somebody who thinks they have the right to tell other people whether or not they are gamers.

LewieP on
  • Options
    DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My gamer is a neuronet processor, a learning computer.

God damn it Death of Rats...I almost loled in the office. :x

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

keg%20dude%20small.jpg

Or the Guitar Hero ;-)

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

keg%20dude%20small.jpg

I get to be the people who throw the ball and stizuff!

Xtarath on
  • Options
    megabytemegabyte Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hardcore: Can tell you what companies produce what games, generally plays more than 15 hours a week.
    Gamer: Can tell you what characters are from what games, generally plays 10 hours or less a week.
    Casual: Can tell you what the game is called, generally plays 5 hours or less a week.

megabyte on
    b_350x20_C692108-381007-FFFFFF-000000.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    If you play videogames, you're a gamer. Period.

Freedom Evans. He's a gamer. Period.

Sorta BOTP'd. I can't be the only one who finds these ads laughable.
    From the womb to the tomb!

Dirty on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Someone who has played more than one game, sequels notwithstanding.

I consider someone who's only played The Sims and Rollercoaster Tycoon to still be a gamer.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    megabyte wrote: »
    Hardcore: Can tell you what companies produce what games, generally plays more than 15 hours a week.
    Gamer: Can tell you what characters are from what games, generally plays 10 hours or less a week.
    Casual: Can tell you what the game is called, generally plays 5 hours or less a week.

Huh, the amount of time you spend playing them should have no impact on it. My gaming time is severely reduced because of study, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who'd play more if it wasn't for other responsibilities.

Tav on
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gaming shouldn't just be about playing games, it has to be about some arbitrary criteria, so we know who is best.

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    megabyte wrote: »
    Loser: Can tell you which games are the best for easily boosting your gamerscore, generally plays more than 60 hours a week, and not for fun, just Achievements.

Dirty on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gaming shouldn't just be about playing games, it has to be about some arbitrary criteria, so we know who is best.

A real gamer would never say such a thing.

You're out of the club

I expect your account to be deleted and your serial number returned by the end of the week.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

A real gamer would never say such a thing.

You're out of the club

I expect your account to be deleted and your serial number returned by the end of the week.

A real gamer would want to be best and construct a definition so inane that only they could act like an elitist jerk. You won't earn a high score until you are more obnoxious.

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    A gamer is someone who plays video games as a hobby. Someone who plays minesweeper or solitaire on his or her computer on a daily basis can be considered a gamer but not much of one. I wouldn't even consider that person to be a casual gamer.

This is exactly what I was going to say, but including the Solitaire/Freecell/Minesweeper crowd into that category might be stretching it a bit.

A good definition of a "gamer" is someone who buys video games on a regular basis, alongside playing those games.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Somebody who thinks they have the right to tell other people whether or not they are gamers.

I had a dog and his name was BINGO!

I find it funny that as more and more people are starting to play "casual games" that the hardcore gamer folk out there are trying to move the goalposts on what is and is not a gamer.

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Crazybear wrote: »
    I find it funny that as more and more people are starting to play "casual games" that the hardcore gamer folk out there are trying to move the goalposts on what is and is not a gamer.

Well yeah, because now our culture is moving into the mainstream and we no longer get beaten up on a regular basis for liking video games. Thus, to retain our last vestiges of uniqueness, we need to step up the bar.

So say the elitists.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Crazybear wrote: »

Well yeah, because now our culture is moving into the mainstream and we no longer get beaten up on a regular basis for liking video games. Thus, to retain our last vestiges of uniqueness, we need to step up the bar.

So say the elitists.

Too bad people don't understand it doesn't make them unique in any positive way. While the "real gamers" might think people who play Halo are all just college frats that have keggers all day, those "fake gamers" think real gamers masturbate to Princess Peach and then go play a rousing game of D&D. Going around calling yourself a real gamer doesn't exactly make you... anything.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I thought I had it figured out until I read your post.

You are right. I was wrong. The hobby definition is good, but clearly inferior.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gamer means what it actually means in a dictionary, it's just that game enthusiasts don't tend to be grammar enthusiasts, and therefore weren't smart enough to call their inclusive term that. Many enthusiasts are referenced by some other title; for example Grognards are fortunate in that they picked a word that didn't simply mean "someone that plays wargames", and yet it's original meaning is largely out of use (as far as I'm aware, and if it isn't, it's a non-English word, so it's at least out of English usage). Video game enthusiasts aren't so fortunate (not that the corporate world hasn't tried to throw a name on it, but the only one that seems to stick is the ambiguous 'Gamer').

I pose that meaning of most words must be extracted using context. The context of the op implies a usage as an inclusive community game enthusiast, and that's what it means to me.

The meaning of "asshole" is different in different circumstances. When I eat spicy food, a different asshole burns than when someone hits my car, blames it on me, and I follow them home while they sleep. Context. The end.

piL on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    OK, I guess we've done his homework for him now.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.