As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Care to help a noob with his computer?

thisismyusernamethisismyusername Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just installed Windows XP home edition. The problem that I am having is that it wont connect to the internet. I was able to get Firefox from this Linux disc I have and that also wont connect. I know the connections and cables are all good (I'm using that same computer right now, running Linux off a disc). Is it some sort of driver I need to get? I have no idea... I'm kinda new to this whole "windows" thing (yeah, I know). Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

PA2sig.jpg
thisismyusername on

• Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bring up the device manager (Start --> Run... --> type "devmgmt.msc" --> click OK)
    See any yellow question marks? If so, you may need to get the proper drivers for your network card.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    yeah, there are 5 question marks under the "other devices" section. they are "multimedia audio controller", "other PCI bridge device", "PCI simple communication controller", "SM bus controller", and "video controller". This is probably a stupid question, but where can I get these drivers?

thisismyusername on
    PA2sig.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Google your network card's name followed by the word "drivers" and download anything that doesn't look like a virus.

Actually just download it from the manufacturer's website.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    My ethernet port and video card are both attached to the motherboard. I believe I have the Nvidia Nforce2. The Nvidia website only supports down to nforce4 and I havent found anything with google. Here is a picture I took of the motherboard, maybe I'm just looking in the wrong spot for the name or something.

NVIDIA.jpg

thisismyusername on
    PA2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    not sure why there is no picture... try this

thisismyusername on
    PA2sig.jpg
  • Options
    ChronosanChronosan Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Go back to Nvidia's website....
    Product Type : Legacy
    Product Series: nForce 1/2

Chronosan on
    Peter Gibbons(Office Space): I cannot believe what a bunch of losers we are. We're looking up "money laundering" in the dictionary.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Perfect! it works! Thanks alot to all 3 of you.

thisismyusername on
    PA2sig.jpg