As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Appropriately Titled "Kick-Ass"

ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Graphic Violence
kick-ass-millar.jpg

Kick-Ass is a Marvel Icons comic by Mark Millar, John Romita Jr, and Klaus Janson. And it is absolutely fantastic. The first issue was released yesterday, February 27th, for the normal price of three bucks! Three bucks! There is no reason not to have it.

IGN's Jesse Scheeden has this to say about Kick-Ass's debut:
IGN wrote:
Why hasn't anyone tried this before? Sure, plenty of writers have tried their hand at "realistic superheroes," but these stories still require a certain suspension of disbelief. No one has really sat down and imagined a world where ordinary teenagers choose to suit up in silly costumes and go fight crime. Not until Kick-Ass anyway.

There's not a whole lot you need to know to get into this series. The Youtube videos and viral marketing campaign are all gravy. Rather than create a world like ours, writer Mark Millar has literally set Kick-Ass in our world. Teenagers read Batman and X-Men comics. They play Halo 3 on their Xboxes. They idolize superheroes of all sorts, and when they get mugged walking down the street or shoved in a locker at school, they wonder why there aren't any real heroes protecting the streets. Kick-Ass follows the select few who choose to rectify the situation.

Issue #1 focuses on the first of what looks to be many costumed vigilantes. Dave Lizewski is, in many ways, the same stereotypical nerd seen in any number of stories. Many of his more defining traits, such as a penchant for stalking female classmates and an almost total emotional detachment from daily life, don't really serve to make him a more likable character. Still, it's very hard not to identify with anyone who actually takes the adolescent power fantasies of superhero comics one step further. You'll quickly find yourself rooting for Dave even if you don't necessarily like him, and even when Millar makes it perfectly clear this journey isn't going to go well for him. Millar makes abundant use of the freedom that comes from Marvel's Icon imprint. Characters curse abundantly, and the overall impression is that this universe is very far removed from the regular Marvel Universe.

Unfortunately, the book's visual tone isn't nearly realistic enough for what Millar is going for. I can't say I'm surprised either. One expects certain things from John Romita Jr.'s art, and stark realism isn't one of them. Naturally, Romita's skill with action and fight choreography really shine through. His slightly odd facial work is also heavily apparent. Overall, his style is just too flamboyant and flatly unrealistic for a book about realistic superheroes.

Generally, though, I'm loving Millar's newest creation. Given that he already appears to be hard at work on multiple sequels, I can't wait to see what future issues have in store.

Having picked it up early this morning, I must say I agree with pretty much everything in this review. It's a comic book featuring teen characters that feels pretty legitimate (as opposed to the Degrassi-esque sugar coating we see in stuff like Robin and Teen Titans), the main character is instantly easy to relate to, and while Scheeden feels otherwise, I think the art is absolutely spot-on. I can definitely see this series going interesting places, and I would implore any super hero fan to pick it up. It's fun, it's edgy, and, well, it has a blonde teenage weirdo getting electrocuted through his testicles.

Anyone else pick this gem up?

Also, I hope there wasn't already a thread. I searched, honest!

pygsig.png
Zeromus on

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My favorite panel was his notebook where he was trying to decide what to call himself.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    "Bad Night" was pretty sweet. :P

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    For anyone that's on the fence, there's a six page preview posted at the top of page 34 of the 'General Questions" thread.

Anyhow, I enjoyed it, and I like the fact that...

IMAGE SPOILER
    ...the book is narrated in past tense.

For example:
    ka023ft3.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah I have to wonder about that.
    Is this whole series going to be told as a flashback, or just this arc, and maybe the next one?

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I imagine probably just this arc, until we meet up to the point where he is telling the flashback from. (Tied up in a warehouse with electrodes on his balls)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I was thinking more like, are the dated references going to stop, and the story move a little bit closer to the actual present.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    What dated references are you referring to?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hang on, let me grab it.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Off hand, I can think of the Buffy thing, but that doesn't really strike me as particularly dated since the show is still pretty popular.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, scratch that.
    I was thinking of the Spider-Man discussion, but people still argue about the change to organic webs now.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I imagine probably just this arc, until we meet up to the point where he is telling the flashback from. (Tied up in a warehouse with electrodes on his balls)

If you had said "naked" this would sound a lot like Empowered.

Also, totally bought.
    They play Halo 3 on their Xboxes.
    I play Metroid prime 3 on my Wii thank-you-very-much.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Yeah, scratch that.
    I was thinking of the Spider-Man discussion, but people still argue about the change to organic webs now.

They said it coming out of Rise of the Silver Surfer

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Like I said, scratch that.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Keith what are you doing, this isn't a DC book

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Keith what are you doing, this isn't a DC book

:whistle:

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    See, it's just that good!

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    "THREE HOMOS MAKING A MESS!"

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »

it's all right

wasn't really anything special, but not bad

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »

it's all right

wasn't really anything special, but not bad

No, Keith

It was special.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    i flipped through this at the shop, but it didn't convince me that it wasn't wanted pt.2, so i'll wait to see how subsequent issues develop.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What was the review in the OP talking about? There are youtube videos and viral marketing?

Is it any good, and does anyone have links?

Anyone else have any questions? :)

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The youtube videos are short and jumpy.
    They're cell phone "vids" of Kick-Ass stopping some muggers.
    There's a website mentioned in one of the comments, but I'm afraid that it's just a commenter being retarded.

Google says it's a retarded commenter thinking this shit is real, when it's tagged "comic book."

There's also a MySpace, but who cares about that.
    It looks like they're really pushing for the real-world feel.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It'd be great if the guy never called himself Kick-Ass.

So it'd make you one of those dudes that calls Steven Tyler "Aerosmith".

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The videos give his name as Kick-Ass.
    His Youtube profile is Kick1988.
    It's going to happen.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wanted with less ass fucking. Nothing new.

Algertman on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    well to be fair al, we had to wait until the last panel to get that assfucking in wanted, so maybe it's yet to come

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    well to be fair al, we had to wait until the last panel to get that assfucking in wanted, so maybe it's yet to come

just Imagine, JRjr drawing an "O" Face

Algertman on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I liked it. I also want to get in on the ground floor of something for once. :P

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm gonna have to disagree with you, Algert. The first issue was pretty great.

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Too be honest, with the flashback references, what I really want to see now are the others.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm curious to see if, after the origin story, we're going to jump ahead a few years.
    Even if it's not right after the origin, it'd be a nice idea for a later arc.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Great first issue. That part where the guys are talking about being super heroes seriously made me laugh out loud.
    "those girls just wanna fuck the shit out of us right now"

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    what I really want to see now are the others.

this.

Also,
    the guy better be dead and narrating as a ghost. from the future.

although i suppose he has to get his balls shocked at some point.

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How long is this first issue? To be honest I don't remember the last time I bought a comic so I have no idea how many pages are in a single issue, and I'm just wondering how much I get for my $3.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Kick-Ass #1 is 32 pages.. but I don't think it's all story because I know there's an afterword by Millar in the back.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BoboBobo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    I was kinda bored by the first issue, to be honest. I think Algert put it best.

Bobo on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Why'd the guy who started this thread.

Neverming *checks*

HA HA deadbeat santa got banninated!

Meanwhile, I just read this thing and... what, it's on Earth Prime or something?

Squashua on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2008
    squasha three-fourths of that post made zero sense

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Squashua wrote: »
    Why'd the guy who started this thread. Why did the good chap who created this thread stop posting?

Neverming *checks* Oh, I see he is no longer here at the PA Forums! Astounding!

HA HA deadbeat santa got banninated! He committed some serious offense and was removed for it!

Meanwhile, I just read this thing and... what, it's on Earth Prime or something? Where does everyone thing this story takes place?

I think I translated that correctly.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It's an Icon book, it takes place in the "real world"

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]