As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My computer says my sound card doesn't exist

DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
The sound card that came with my computer oh so many years ago kicked the bucket a while back, and I finally got around to purchasing a new card for it. I got one of those shiny expensive Creative Labs X-Fi cards that costed more than my video card, but I see it as "well at least I won't have to buy another sound card for when I make a new computer".

But the way things are going I feel like I should just get a new computer, because after putting the card in and installing... my computer is saying that I don't have a sound card installed. No, the drivers and everything are there... it's saying that it does not detect a physical card! What the fuck. Has anyone else encountered something like this?

DarkPrimus on

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The sound card that came with my computer oh so many years ago kicked the bucket a while back, and I finally got around to purchasing a new card for it. I got one of those shiny expensive Creative Labs X-Fi cards that costed more than my video card, but I see it as "well at least I won't have to buy another sound card for when I make a new computer".

But the way things are going I feel like I should just get a new computer, because after putting the card in and installing... my computer is saying that I don't have a sound card installed. No, the drivers and everything are there... it's saying that it does not detect a physical card! What the fuck. Has anyone else encountered something like this?

are you sure the old card crashed and not the actual pci slot? have you tried to reseat the card in a different slot, or do a manual hardware search? Is the old card COMPLETELY removed from your hardware profile?

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I tried using the old sound card in multiple PCI slots, but I haven't tried the new one in multiple slots yet.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    also, you are shutting the computer down before you insert the card right? I know that's dumb to ask, but I believe in overkill. I shut down the pc, take out the power plug from the psu, and use one of those grounding straps.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh hell yes I do all of those things before I even think about opening the case up. I have put together a few computers before so I know the "common sense" kinds of things like that. I'm going to try swapping the card to a different slot later tonight, but I'd be interested to hear anyones thoughts on what else might be the trouble, if that doesn't help.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Did you uninstall the old card's drivers?

Here's how I got my Creative card working, after a lot of frustration and hair-pulling: Uninstall the old drivers for my shitty intergrated sound device, then download and install the entire driver + software kit from Creative. It refused to work otherwise, and the CD that came with the card did nothing for the situation. edit: and downloading just the driver didn't work either, for whatever wacky reason.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That might be the problem, as I got the card detected and it said "installed and ready to use" on the start bar pop-up, but I'm still getting "no sound card detected" when I try to adjust volume or play music.

However I don't see the old card showing up on the Add/Remove Programs list...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hmm, yeah, I think I had a simpler situation, because I had a still functioning integrated sound card I needed to disable, so the option to uninstall the drivers was actually there. In your case it wouldn't be, so I don't know what to say. Reinstall windows? A lot of trouble and it still might not work. Then again, it might.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I went and uninstalled the drivers using Add/Remove program then ran the uninstall off the disc.... and then reinstalled. Seems to have worked as I am getting sound when I open an mp3, though I don't... I don't have volume control installed? *sigh* Looks like it's back to the disc.

DarkPrimus on