As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Place I interviewed gave me the second....[I got the offer]

HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello,

I posted here my many job questions/issue on case if you remember is the bank interview from hell. Ok here I go I just got an email from another place I interview that I feel will make me grow and is track on my 5 year goal in life.

So I got an email a day early, what my interviewer told me was he will give me word on my status tomorrow (Friday), well he wanted a phone call meeting in 2 hours about job oppurtunity. I emailed back saying I am down and now my questions are as follow:

1. I am planning to go to Europe end of this year, would it be wise to mention if they do hire me over the phone?

2. I don't know if this will happen but can I request time to quit my current job and still get some time off to help me transition job.

3. What the fuck do I say if they do hire me? How do I show my excitement "YOU WONT BE SORRY REALLY"

Thanks

Time Countdown 2.5 hours

Thanks PA you guys really helped me so much with this issue.

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
Horus on

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Horus wrote: »
    1. I am planning to go to Europe end of this year, would it be wise to mention if they do hire me over the phone?

Absolutely. Some places only let you have vacation time after a certain introductory period, and you definitely want to find out whether you can go or not as early as possible.
    2. I don't know if this will happen but can I request time to quit my current job and still get some time off to help me transition job.

How much time are you talking here? Do you need to move? 2 weeks is pretty standard, I don't think a month would be a problem...more than that might be questionable though.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Two weeks for my job but I am hoping they give me some detox time from my current job. If not I will say I got a job at a competitors place and get let go on the same day without burning my bridge (Its been done and sometimes they even get rehired).

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You're asking for too much. Really.

1) If you're talking about getting hired early March and going to Europe in Decemeber, then no, don't tell them, because by then you'll have build over a week of annual leave, so you can take it.

However...

a) what kind of place is this? Because if it's a place that gets busy around Christmas then they're going to think it's a dick move for you to try to get off during their busy time when you're the new guy.

b) if you're planning on taking the trip earlier than Thanksgiving then you need to cancel the trip if the job means anything to you. It sucks, but that's just the way it is with a new job. You need to earn your time off first and set a good example.

2) No, you don't need to request "extra transition" time. You need to find out how soon they need you, tell them you need to give a 10 to 14 day written notice to the other job, and maybe, MAYBE, ask for an extra week to move, if you HAVE to move. Otherwise, just start as soon as you can.

3) There's nothing wrong with saying thank you, but don't get into the "you won't be sorry" or "i won't let you down kind of talk." something along the lines of "Thank you very much for this opportunity sir, I know I'll be a good asset to the team." will work well. Saying "I won't let you down" or "you won't be sorry" just doesn't show the same confidence.

Good luck.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Two weeks for my job but I am hoping they give me some detox time from my current job. If not I will say I got a job at a competitors place and get let go on the same day without burning my bridge (Its been done and sometimes they even get rehired).

Don't get "let go" on the same day. You'll need that job for a reference for at least a few more years, more than likely.

Ask for three weeks before you begin the new job and give a ten day notice. That way you keep your rehire status at the old job and have eleven days till the new one.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Don't get "let go" on the same day. You'll need that job for a reference for at least a few more years, more than likely.

Ask for three weeks before you begin the new job and give a ten day notice. That way you keep your rehire status at the old job and have eleven days till the new one.

Like your math, just that I really want a week break to come to the new job refreshed and relaxed (current job is burning me out) and I am transitioning from Print Design to Web design. Anyway yeah I will let them know about my Europe trip. I did not do any payments to the trip yet so I can still cancel. The place that may hire me is a Web Agency, its those casual clothes free spirited place, so I don't know how their workload is in autumn but summer is gonna be busy.

About the vacation I seen companies just deduct future vacation time but I think its best to talk about it and let them know its still in planning stages.

Horus on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tell them about the holiday, but only after they extend the offer to you. I've had stuff like this happen to me, if they reject you because of a reasonably short holiday you've already booked, you didn't want to work there anyway.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Like your math, just that I really want a week break to come to the new job refreshed and relaxed (current job is burning me out) and I am transitioning from Print Design to Web design. Anyway yeah I will let them know about my Europe trip. I did not do any payments to the trip yet so I can still cancel. The place that may hire me is a Web Agency, its those casual clothes free spirited place, so I don't know how their workload is in autumn but summer is gonna be busy.

The thing is, the final interview, weather it be over the phone or in person, is negotiation time. You're already negotiating salary, and time until they can hire you, and it's just me personally, but I think it's a dick move to have a personal vacation planned your first six or seven months on the job. It's one thing if you were going to need an early Friday for a wedding or a court date or something, but (and like I said, it's just my opinion, do what you want :) ) I would just cancel the vacation until next year and not even mention it.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    TheungryTheungry Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you want to express excitement at an offer, simply say, "Thank you very much. I am really looking forward to working with you." If you can take some time beforehand to do more research on the company and mention a specific thing you like about them, that helps too.

As afar as a start date, ask when they want you start and if they leave it up to you, say you'd like to start 3 weeks from Monday, but you can do 2 weeks if you need to. You can give your current job 1 week or 1.5 weeks as some others have said, without being too rude. Keep in mind who the people you would ask for references actually are. Its always good to have direct supervisors in your references, but other people you work with closely with impressive job titles are always good too.

Theungry on
    Unfortunately, western cultures frown upon arranged marriages, so the vast majority of people have to take risks in order to get into relationships.
  • Options
    TheungryTheungry Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

The thing is, the final interview, weather it be over the phone or in person, is negotiation time. You're already negotiating salary, and time until they can hire you, and it's just me personally, but I think it's a dick move to have a personal vacation planned your first six or seven months on the job. It's one thing if you were going to need an early Friday for a wedding or a court date or something, but (and like I said, it's just my opinion, do what you want :) ) I would just cancel the vacation until next year and not even mention it.

I think this totally plans on what kind of work and what kind of office it is. In my last office the only way you could take a vacation in your first 6 months was if you mentioned it in your interview. It didn't effect hiring at all, they just wanted you to be up front.

Theungry on
    Unfortunately, western cultures frown upon arranged marriages, so the vast majority of people have to take risks in order to get into relationships.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Theungry wrote: »

I think this totally plans on what kind of work and what kind of office it is. In my last office the only way you could take a vacation in your first 6 months was if you mentioned it in your interview. It didn't effect hiring at all, they just wanted you to be up front.

Fair enough, like I said, it's just my opinion, I just think if you're starting a new job you need to make sacrifices, and one of them is that you need to reschedule personal vacations that aren't absolutely necessary, if for no other reason than to show a little upfront loyalty and commitment to the company.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Update: My friend after I told her about this and said shes willing to reschedule my Europe trip or work around it for next year, yay!!! Shes the one getting it all set for the group.

Horus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok everyone, I cancelled my Europe trip due to how its arrange for me to start the job BUT FCKN SHIT THEY OFFERED ME A GOOD DEAL I WONT SCREW IT UP

Horus on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Congrats!

I told my scheduling team the first 2 weeks on the job I needed to take 11 days 8 months in and they didn't care so it definitely depends on the company.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, I would never work for a place that did not let me take earned vacation time when I asked.

December is 9 months away. You should earn 2 weeks vacation for the year at least. Prorated that is ~ 66 hours you should have. Take your vacation...

meeker on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ohh no I am taking my Vacation just postponed till I finish my probation period which is three months so when I finish that is when I start building up vacation time. Plus my friend will say shes open to rescheduling.

Horus on