As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] : Beyond Oasis Chapter 9 - This time it's almost over!

thejazzmanthejazzman Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
beyond-oasis.jpg

Come closer friends and let me tell you a tale of swords and sorcery! Of dungeons cold and dragons old, of heroes bold and piles of gold! Draw near and hear the tale be told, now watch the curtains, as they unfold!

Beyond Oasis is a cool RPG/Action game for the SEGA Genesis!

BeyondOasisShot1.gif

Why make a Let's Play of this game?

It's all explained in the video!

Why should I watch this Let's Play?

It's all evident from watching the video!

So what's this game like/about anyway?

It's about a prince called Ali who finds a magical gold armlet that can control the worlds spirits while on an trip across the ocean in a small fishing boat. Soon thereafter he discovers that its twin, the silver armlet, has also been discovered, but the silver one is evil! We as gamers know instantly what must be done...

OK FINE, let's just get on with it

Chapter 1 - The Introduction

Chapter 2 - Now with more kung-fu raptor

Chapter 3 - Oh God Why, Why Why Why the fuck did I do this

Chapter 4 - Now with more +1 swords of flaming

Chapter 5 - May contain traces of KA-POW!

Chapter 6 - May contain tra- **CORRUPTED**

Chapter 7 - May contain traces of 'Done when it's done'

Chapter 8 - This time it's not Chapter 7

Chapter 9 - This time it's almost over!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
thejazzman on

• Options
    uk3uk3 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh wow, I loved this game. But I never finished it because I'd play through a bunch of it, but I had Sega Channel which didn't support game saves, so when I shut it off I'd have to start all over.

Good times. Good first part too.

uk3 on
    uk3blood.jpg
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    thejazzman wrote: »
    So what's this game like/about anyway?

It the Legend of Zelda but on the Genesis.

Much easier way to say it. :P

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    TrichomeTrichome Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Glad you made this thread. Good video too.
    I discovered this game in 1996-97 when i went to a friends house and saw him playing it. I was interested in it right away because it seemed so deep. A lot more depth to this game than Zelda.

Was this game marketed at all? I never saw any commercials or ads for it back in the 90's. I guess it's on the Virtual Console now?

Trichome on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Too bad you couldn't whip out any melted butter while fighting the giant crab. They hate that stuff.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Too bad you couldn't whip out any melted butter while fighting the giant crab. They hate that stuff.

As I demonstrated, all that was necessary was a great big hunk o' cheese.

I'm not sure if it was the final take, but I did go on a bit about the Zelda similarities in one of the takes.

Hopefully will get the next part up super fast because the game is a reasonable length, and we don't wanna be bumping this thing till 2k9, going to try and make sure I get all the secret stuff possible though, get a real thorough look at this rarely mentioned gem.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EstocEstoc Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Actually, I'd say that this game is what would happen if Legend of Zelda and Streets of Rage had a lovechild, with sexy results.

Estoc on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This is a great game.

I reanted it many times and it had the ability to rival Zelda in terms of action/adventure gameplay.

Not many can boast that.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Did you get Mod permission to make this thread? I'm not trying to rain on your LP parade, but I would hate to see your second thread get lock like your first.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    This thread does indeed have mod permission. About the streets of rage thing, that totally made me think of how similar one particular sound effect is in both games. Ali doing a big flip and grunting, and maybe when you kill a guy in SoR? I'd have to get hold of streets of rage to probe further though, interesting...

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think an American person should do a Lets Play. Just because I feel inferior every time I hear one of those sexy accents.

Remington on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    think an American person should do a Lets Play. Just because I feel inferior every time I hear one of those sexy accents.

Well incidentally, I was just planning on recording an audition of the dialog for you mod, which will require me to lose my British accent entirely in favor of a bit of rootin' tootin' US to the A

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    think an American person should do a Lets Play. Just because I feel inferior every time I hear one of those sexy accents.

Well incidentally, I was just planning on recording an audition of the dialog for you mod, which will require me to lose my British accent entirely in favor of a bit of rootin' tootin' US to the A

Oh man, that sounds wonderful.

That video was totally fucking great, by the way. I laugh unbelievably hard when you go off on tangents and shit's still happening on screen (like when you were dodging the spears from those two enemies at the top of the screen).

Remington on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Remington wrote: »
    I think an American person should do a Lets Play. Just because I feel inferior every time I hear one of those sexy accents.

A lot of the LPers here are American. Don't lose the accent! It's your gimmick!

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    uk3 wrote: »
    Oh wow, I loved this game. But I never finished it because I'd play through a bunch of it, but I had Sega Channel which didn't support game saves, so when I shut it off I'd have to start all over.

Good times. Good first part too.

It didn't support saves going into the next month. And I think it didn't support save files if you loaded different games after playing one that required saves.

Anyway, yes, Beyond Oasis is one of the best Sega Genesis games ever. I hope this LP does it justice.

I also hope you're going to be a man about it and not pick up any hearts to level up <.<

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    New chapter! Took so damned long because of constant technical glitches!

Chapter 2

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Why do we need mod permission for LPs?

Sueve on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Umm, I think it's because they often get resurrected after a long absence of posts, which is maybe against the rules? I'm actually not sure really, maybe it's the resurrection thing.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You're going to get the secret unlimited weapons, right?

Be a trooper, take on those hidden crags of jumping horror!

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Aha! But if you had only watched my video already, you would know that is exactly my plan! Also there is a vote involved, get watchin'.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Aha! But if you had only watched my video already, you would know that is exactly my plan! Also there is a vote involved, get watchin'.

Can't have sound running right now and no headphones closeby, or I would. But tomorrow!

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Vote for 100 Level Dungeon.

Also, I like the longer videos. They let me take a break from boring maya stuff.

Remington on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It the Legend of Zelda but on the Genesis.
    Much easier way to say it. :P

Actually, I'm pretty sure that honor goes to Crusader of Centy. I loved that game too, but Beyond Oasis is better than it and most of the Zelda games.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    We got anymore votes comin' in? I can't start recording till I get two more, or three for the other option, or does Remington constitute my entire audience D::|:lol:

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You've got my vote. I had a Sega Nomad, basically a portable Genesis, and this game got me through many a family road trip. Godspeed.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    do the 100 level dungeon.

Trichome on
  • Options
    EstocEstoc Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Actually, I'd hold off on the 100 level dungeon until you're better equipped. I haven't yet seen the second video, but unless you've gotten
    at least the first three spirits, a couple of water stones, some rank, and maybe a back up weapon for the boss at the bottom,
    you're setting yourself up for getting your shit pushed in. That might make a good video by itself though. :whistle:

Estoc on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    As far as beating the 100 level dungeons goes, when I first began this Let's Play, I booted up and headed strait to that dungeon before even going the the castle or anything, and I could comfortably get to around level 40. I'm fairly confidant that now owning ditto/Efreet it could take it on, with it being a huge challenge of course. Bare in mind I am able to play significantly better than I have done so far in my videos, I just need to get in the zone baby

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AhtariAhtari Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    do the 100 lvl dungeon!

Ahtari on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kung Fu raptors make this game already.

I vote the 100 level dungeon.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I just had my first attempt, which I also recorded, got to lvl 40 and died, very frustrating!!!!!! This may take some time...

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So how's that going for ya?

Remington on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Hey, well what's going on is that the 100 level dungeon is incredibly hard (more so than I remembered), and that while I actually do have a complete video of it now, it took me a lot longer than I anticipated to film, and then there was a large family crisis!

I will have the video uploaded and available ASAP, I am just about ready with some free time now, hence me checking the forums, so I'll be on it in a jiffy!

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    OMFG!!!

9 days later, and it's finished!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Chapter 3

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I can't believe you aren't insane after that

Burgu on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    There was a period after finishing where I was in a kind of stasis, elated but utterly utterly drained.

However!

I went strait back into the dungeon to test out how I'd do with the new sword, the first monsters I got?

4 Zombies.

One swipe, and I remembered, OH YES, the sword is FIRE ENCHANTED!

The zombie instantly turned to ash (literally, there's a special animation for it)

THIS IS IT, I'VE ARRIVED

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pogo mudderpogo mudder Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    wow talk about a fucking grind fest, at least you finally have the sword now, i hope those 4 zombies were reward enough, cause you ain't getting any praise from me >:/
    heh, awesome lets play i love this game, bring on chapter 4, lets hope its slightly less grueling a task.

pogo mudder on
    what a work of art is man, and the most boring choice you can make
  • Options
    catfox90catfox90 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    heh i can imagine that was very tense at a lot of points, especially fighting with 1 health for a hell of a long time at the end, fighting 4raptors at level 90 was funny, you sounded so shocked..

catfox90 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Congratulations!

Do you talk while you are playing and recording? Or do you add your speech afterwards?

I personally couldn't talk and play at the same time like that.

-EDIT-
    Obviously it seems you talk while you're playing. I'm about halfway through this video now. Right after you died the 1st time at level 40.

Trichome on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I find that talking while I'm playing does make it a lot harder in combat situations, but it's pretty much the only way to fly. I took a couple of breaks to keep my focus up that aren't explicit during that video and just edited out the gaps.
    I also had a LOT of tries at 40-100 that FAILED, the final 40-100 you see is the product of 9 days of dying again and again for like 3 hours a day, fucking torture!

Honestly I'd be suprised if very many people watch the entire video, I think it's an hour long for crying out loud, but I wanted it done and now the rest of the LP will be more fun to watch because I have such a great weapon, and I hope people at least skim watch the video (especially the last boss), bloody hell.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Shit, I coulda sworn I posted earlier.

But yeah, watched the whole thing. Laughed so hard at the four raptors and the last few floors were all sorts of epic.

Great job. Looking forward to the rest.

Remington on