As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Changing network password on Mac

IriahIriah Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
My friend has a network that goes like this: Internet -> Netgear router -> Mac, PC. The PC's adapter is asking for the password to the network, only she's forgotten the password, so she's trying to change it from the Mac. I was called in to help when she found it 'wasn't working' and I diagnosed all this, but I have no clue how to work Macs (I mean I have no idea of the way around them like I do with PCs) and she doesn't know where the network management program is on a Mac (great graphic designer though).

So, in steps clear enough for a Mac newbie, where and how do I change the password on this network?

Iriah on

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ok, I'm assuming that you're talking about a wireless network. Changing the password is pretty simple. First, ask if your friend can get into the router in the first place. If they cannot even get into the web configuration tool, then your first step will be to force the router back to factory specs. Netgear has all the manuals for their e
    quipment available on their website, so look up the router's manual and find out how to reset it.

Now that we can get into the router's web config tool, we can modify the wireless settings. Netgear, by default, ships their router's with an SSID of "netgear". If you reset the router, you should change this. Next, you'll need to set the wireless encryption protocol. If all the router can do is WEP, then it's time to inform your friend that they need a new router. However, if the router's newer, you should be able to enable WPA-TKIP. Once you do, you'll be prompted to set a new password for the encryption. Set the password, and update the settings. Your network is now ready to authorize wireless traffic.

Since you said you're trying to connect a PC, I'll assume you're using the Windows Zero Configuration Utility. Open up the ZCU, and you should see your friend's network on the list of available networks. Select it, and it should ask for the password. Enter the password you had entered into the router. The PC should authenticate automatically.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thanks, but I meant we literally couldn't find the darned config tool. As in, we have no idea where it's supposed to be in the Mac list of apps and so forth. I was looking for the OSX version of control panel but I suck, I really do, and she's never bothered with the inner workings of her computer.

Can you tell me where it is on your Mac?

Iriah on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Iriah wrote: »
    Thanks, but I meant we literally couldn't find the darned config tool. As in, we have no idea where it's supposed to be in the Mac list of apps and so forth. I was looking for the OSX version of control panel but I suck, I really do, and she's never bothered with the inner workings of her computer.

Can you tell me where it is on your Mac?

If you're referring to the router's configuration utility, it's web-based. You reach it by navigating to the router on the network (usually it will be at 192.168.1.1). You'll need to enter the router administration login to get in.

I don't own a Mac, but I do maintain them at work, so I've had to set up the networking on a few. To configure the wireless connection, you should be able to open up the tool by clicking on the Wi-Fi icon at the top of the screen. Barring that, IIRC, the Mac equivalent of the Control Panel is called System Preferences, and can be found on the main menu (click on the Apple icon in the upper left hand corner.)

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum