As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Snack foods from around the world.

Page-Page- Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
On Thursday I met up with some friends for our weekly Japanese lessons, and was presented with a gift of Green Tea Kit Kat bars.

kit%20kat%20green%20tea.jpg

The guy handing them out told us that he'd also found some Red Bean Kit Kats, but they hadn't been delivered yet.

kitkatmamewu5.img_assist_custom.jpg

With a little digging I found Pineapple Kit Kats, Kiwi Kit Kats, and Vanilla Bean Kit Kats.

kit%20kat%20pineapple.jpg
kit%20kat%20kiwi.jpg
kit%20kat%20vanilla.jpg

Less strange, but still nasty, were the Orange Kit Kats we had in Canada a year or so back.

kitkat-orange.jpg

Which immediately reminded me of Ice Cucumber Pepsi.

Pepsi-Ice-Cucumber.jpg

I first heard of Ice Cucumber Pepsi when an acquaintance living in Japan showed me a picture of one he'd purchased. He also told me it tasted worse than it he thought it would.

This then reminded me of Jones Soda Co.'s annual limited edition festive sodas
jonesholiday.jpg
And their classic Smoked Salmon Pate soda.
smokesalmonpatesoda.jpg

I can't beat any of those, but in Canada we have a few special snacks, especially chips. In Toronto we have special Curry and Wasabi flavoured Lay's, along with Dill Pickle, Fries and Gravy, Smoky Bacon, Roast Chicken, Salt and Pepper, Salt and Vinegar, Ketchup and Spicy Indian Masala. I haven't tried most of them, but Dill Pickle has always been a favourite of mine.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I love snack foods. And I'm always up for something new. What kind of snack foods do you have going on wherever you live?

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
stream
Page- on

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I do love tracking down limited edition snacks, but from my travels it would seem that the Japanese have made it into something of an art form with constant seasonal variations in their stuff. There's a blog somewhere devoted solely to opinions on the various limited edition Kit Kat flavours, and at least 95% are Japanese in origin.

All that springs to mind is that we had Pepsi Max Punch for Halloween two or three years ago. Very odd considering I'm English and we don't really do Halloween. It was so long ago that I can't even remember what it tasted like.

Also, Salt and Vinegar crisps aren't unusual, they're one of the three main flavours.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    They were selling the Orange Kit Kats here (California) a while ago, also. They were okay, but incredibly sweet, even for candy. I would really like to try those other Kit Kats, with the possible exception of the red bean one.

I also had the Jones Soda Holiday Pack a couple of years ago. Most of them were disgusting that year (Turkey & Gravy, Broccoli Casserole, Salmon Pate were all pretty bad), although the Pecan Pie one was okay.

Salt & Pepper and Salt & Vinegar potato chips are everywhere here, too. I think I've seen the Wasabi potato chips around somewhere.

I don't know if there are really any unique snack foods in my area. Most of the California foods are usually bland stuff you find everywhere or it's imported from other areas, so there's not much with a unique character.

Dalboz on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Also, Salt and Vinegar crisps aren't unusual, they're one of the three main flavours.

That's good to know. I thought I'd heard before that they were partially unique to Canada, but maybe that was Dill Pickle.

About the Orange Kit Kats. I only tried them once and didn't like them. Then again, I don't like orange chocolate, and more importantly, I don't like chocolate in general.

I'm going to try the Green Tea Kit Kat tomorrow and see what it's like.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • ErchamionErchamion Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ketchup chips are among the most disgusting chips I've ever had. I love dipping regular chips in ketchup, but there's something about the powdered flavoring they use that just makes the chip taste terrible to me.

Erchamion on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Collon.jpg

apart from the name they taste great, and theyre one of those snacks that there never seem to be enough in the box.

Sam on
    edited March 2008
    and anyone who says they dont like orange chocolate has obviously never tried one of these
    TerrysChocolateOrange.jpg

Sam on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    One thing I do miss about home are the potato(crisps) and corn chips- while the UK has an ok range of crisps they don't seem to have the variety of corn chips that we get back in NZ. About three years ago some friends and I purchased every flavour of corn chip we could find for a taste test and there were something like 37 flavours between the two main supermarkets.

Here is a quick list of potato chips (crisps) that I can think of from back home. Some are pretty common, but I doubt you would get them all overseas:

Chilli and Sour Cream
    Honey Soy Chicken
    Roast Lamb and Mint
    Sea Salt and Herbs
    Lime and Cracked Pepper
    Tangy Tomato and Red Pepper Salsa
    Sour Cream and Onion
    Tomato Sauce
    Steak
    BBQ
    Cheese and Onion
    Ready Salted
    Chicken
    Green Onion
    Sour Cream and Chives
    Feta and Garlic
    Onion and Balsamic Vinegar
    Basil Pesto
    Garlic Aoli
    Olive oil, parmesan and garlic
    Salt and vinegar (most popular - heaps of different kinds)

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    In some places they eat bugs as snacks.

Bloods End on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Pocky is pretty much the staple for civilized people here.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    zm9bfixp_small.jpg

These things are deliciously crunchy, and they were debuted in my town about 20 years ago. Yum.

Alpine on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    Echo on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I remember all to well the horror of Japanese snack food. Around here they have tons of candy and such from south of the border.

I will take pictures and write down names later so you can see

Brainleech on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Traditional Indian sweets are fun. Want a piece of butter with some sugar on it? Or some sugar with sugar on it? What's that? Your pancreas just gave up and shot itself?

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
    edited March 2008
    corcorigan wrote: »
    Traditional Indian sweets are fun. Want a piece of butter with some sugar on it? Or some sugar with sugar on it? What's that? Your pancreas just gave up and shot itself?

lol

50442232.JPG

Sam on
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The candies I grew up on living near the Mexican border don't seem that strange to me, but my fiance thinks I'm nuts.

lucas.jpg

Lucas is chili powder, lemon and/or lime salt, and sometimes some sugar, all mixed to together as a topping that you can put on other things, or just dump it in your mouth. I went for the later.

sc0081b.jpg

Tamarindo candy is made from the tamarind, a kind of sour and sweet fruit that apparently is also used in Worcestershire sauce. This particular candy is kind of a wet pulpy candy you squeeze into your mouth.

You can find a lot more candies here but most boil down to the Mexican palate: spicy, salty, sour, and a little sweet all at the same time.

thanimations on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I love peanut butter twixes, but you can't buy them in the UK at least I've never found them. And i love peanut butter KitKats, specially the large ones.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
    edited March 2008
    I do love marshmallow and chocolate easter eggs - I understand they are not really done in the US or UK though

Kalkino on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Bassett's Jelly Babies.

Really made trivia nights at the pub that much more fun when I was in the UK - being from Canada we never stood a chance to winning when all of the questions were about Cricket or British tv, but as long as you could get the question right on the Jelly Baby round, all was well.

Andrew_Jay on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I've never understood peeps, and I suspect people only eat compote because it is the only thing that will get matzo out of the body.
    Animal crackers are tasteless, so they probably only sell because of the shapes.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited March 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Animal crackers are tasteless, so they probably only sell because of the shapes.
    Not true. They're arrowroot flavoured.

Whatever that is.

Andrew_Jay on
    edited March 2008
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Bassett's Jelly Babies.

Really made trivia nights at the pub that much more fun when I was in the UK - being from Canada we never stood a chance to winning when all of the questions were about Cricket or British tv, but as long as you could get the question right on the Jelly Baby round, all was well.

I purchased some of these the other day and was bitterly disappointed - jelly babies with powder sugar coating? Ugh

Kalkino on
    edited March 2008
    Oh yeah, vegamite, which bears the questionable distinction of having to be marketed under three different names before catching on.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've never even seen a Jaffa cake, they sound so delicious.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    I've never even seen a Jaffa cake, they sound so delicious.

You get them through the Stargate! [Rimshot]

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Erchamion wrote: »
    Ketchup chips are among the most disgusting chips I've ever had. I love dipping regular chips in ketchup, but there's something about the powdered flavoring they use that just makes the chip taste terrible to me.

Blasphemy. Ketchup chips are awesome!

Does poutine count as a snack food?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited March 2008
    Aegis wrote: »

Does poutine count as a snack food?

I looked it up, and I'm not even sure it should count as food, but I guess that if curling can be an Olympic sport, than why can't poutine be a snack food?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2008
    I looked it up, and I'm not even sure it should count as food, but I guess that if curling can be an Olympic sport, than why can't poutine be a snack food?
    Canada - stretching definitions since 1867.

Andrew_Jay on
    edited March 2008
    Hey, in that case I'm totally nominating what I like to call motherfucking fishballs.

1588669848_b49d433a83.jpg

Sam on
  • ulanshadulanshad Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I've never encountered a ketchup chip where the ketchup powdering wasn't caked on in layers 3 times thicker than the chip itself - if they could powder it more like barbecue chips I'd be all for them.

Unrelated, one time I got hickory-flavored potato sticks in Canada, haven't seen them anywhere in the U.S.

ulanshad on
    sig.gif
    edited March 2008
    So has anyone here ever seen the film God of Cookery? Its a Hong Kong film from maybe a decade or go. Bloody funny and almost entirely about food/martial arts

Kalkino on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Not true. They're arrowroot flavoured.

Whatever that is.
    It's tasteless, you use it to thicken things while keeping them clear.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

sc0081b.jpg

Tamarindo candy is made from the tamarind, a kind of sour and sweet fruit that apparently is also used in Worcestershire sauce. This particular candy is kind of a wet pulpy candy you squeeze into your mouth.

Dear god, I remember these. The Mexicans at my school always brought some back with them when they went home for Christmas or Easter break. I never really developed much of a taste for them. I seriously enjoy spicy things...just not in my snacks/candy, I guess.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The best snack food ever, hands down.
    301220p1kx2.jpg

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Tarranon wrote: »

sc0081b.jpgTamarindo candy is made from the tamarind, a kind of sour and sweet fruit that apparently is also used in Worcestershire sauce.  This particular candy is kind of a wet pulpy candy you squeeze into your mouth.

Dear god, I remember these. The Mexicans at my school always brought some back with them when they went home for Christmas or Easter break. I never really developed much of a taste for them. I seriously enjoy spicy things...just not in my snacks/candy, I guess.

All my friends used to eat this stuff when I was little. It's disgusting.
    Page- wrote: »
    This then reminded me of Jones Soda Co.'s annual limited edition festive sodas
    jonesholiday.jpg

Me and some friends got those last year at thanksgiving. They were the worst things I've ever tasted (I know they're supposed to taste bad). One of my friends threw up immediately after drinking the Pea one.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ulanshad wrote: »

I've never encountered a ketchup chip where the ketchup powdering wasn't caked on in layers 3 times thicker than the chip itself - if they could powder it more like barbecue chips I'd be all for them.

Unrelated, one time I got hickory-flavored potato sticks in Canada, haven't seen them anywhere in the U.S.

Do you mean theses?
    c7wrfp2m_small.jpg
    They're awesome.

Alright, just tried the Green Tea Kit Kat. Not bad. Not too sweet, and with a smooth, milky aftertaste. Reminds me of bubble tea.

Going grocery shopping in a little bit, so I'll see what I can pick up.

Also, when it comes to drinks I only have 3 choices these days: Water, my once a week Classic Coke, and Arizona Iced Tea, of which Green Tea with Ginsing is the best. They sell in huuuge cans for $.99 here, and they're so good.

Page- on
    stream
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I spent two months in Australia a few years ago, and thus gained an appreciation of these particular snackstim%20tam.jpg

Not just because the cookie (or biscuit, if you will) itself is good but because it's an essential part of what they call a "Tim Tam Slam". I'm too lazy to describe the method, but it's awesome.

I also was quite obsessed with all the great fruit snacks they make down there, especially the Allen's Pineapple Lollies and Cherry Ripe. And it's not specific to Australia, but having easy access to Cadbury chocolate was quite nice, since you have to look around to find anything that isn't the eggs.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dark Chocolate Tim Tams are the best cookie in the world.

Fencingsax on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Tim tams are indeed amazing. Not sure what you mean by slam, is that when you bite off the ends of the cookie and then drink milk through it? Man that was hard.

I'm an australian living in the states after my parents moved over here when I was 8 months old, so I get Australian junk food from time to time. Oz seemed to absorb the best of british junk food quite well. Sausage rolls, cornish pasties, meat pies, and fish and chips - if done properly, all of these are amazing. Hell, I even miss vegemite and butter on toast. Oh and fairy bread! Butter and sprinkles on white bread. Aww, I'm getting all nostalgic.

Casual Eddy on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Vegemite is awful, but sausage rolls and meat pies are awesome.

Fencingsax on