As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Metalsmithin' n wood n stuff (Update Feb 1)

• Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh no! I've been /ignored!

Paradise on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Or you posted as I was writing that response?

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It was supposed to be a joke.

Paradise on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Comrade, these are some awesome ideas. Really liking the teapot and the sketchbook.

Tam on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    your work inspires me to take intro metalsmithing

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    My intro class was like pulling nails. It was really rewarding and I learned a ton, but at the two schools I've been at it is very basic for about 3/4ths of the class as you learn basic solder joints/cold connections, and how to saw and file. Metalsmithing courses can be valuable for teaching attention to detail, which many artists I think lack, especially in the 3D realm of things.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In North Carolina, there is a long, comfortable bench... made entirely of soldered-together assorted wrenches.

Paradise on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i acually really like teh wall panel idea. if you can mimic the grain it could look bitchen especially if you can contrast the wood color with the metal/wire

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Did you graded on your ability to pull nails?

bebarce on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And on your STR stats.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Very much liking your ideas for your graduate body of work.

Hand made stuff is awesome stuff.

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Here are a few shots of some work from last semester.

Interchangeable brooch.
    img0467f.jpg

img0475b.jpg

Mokume Gane: Sterling Silver and Nickel Alloy 400 (MONEL) and Sterling Silver and Nickel Silver
    Brass micro bolts, nickel silver backing.
    I wanted to make a more masculine brooch with interchangeable parts to add a bit of interactivity with the viewer, the ability to change the aesthetic of it depending on an outfit/mood.
    Mokume Gane is a process of diffusion bonding layered materials, essentially creating an alloy between the two where they meet. The final material is a composite of different alternating layers of material. The material is then removed in certain areas and then flattened to create a pattern.

Wire Inlay Study with Wood
    img0679z.jpg

Mild Steel, Sterling Silver Wire, Brass Wire, Hard Maple, Nickel Silver backing.

This is kind of the idea I am going with for my thesis exhibition. I really like wood grain and the wire inlay process is tedious. Tedious processes are things I thrive with. I think the end aesthetic is pleasing, and would like to explore this technique further.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So, I made a hammer.

033ja.jpg
    031xg.jpg

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    Ok now a sickle.

bombardier on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Then a torque wrench.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i love that squat little teapot so much
    oh man
    i wanna make teapots now

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So, I'm pretty close to being done with this sketchbook. Figured I should post some pictures.

66381967.jpg

39577614.jpg

39585543.jpg

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    Thats fucking badass forbe. Like, So bad ass I wish I had one right now and think I may die because I don't have one.

Iruka on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh man I want that sketchbook.

This thread makes me want to make things.

Flay on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You should sell those. I would probably buy one.

rts on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hah thanks guys. I just finished it up. The rivets are set, they're made of copper, instead of steel which what was pictured. The booklets are all sewn in, 96 pages in total, acid free brown paper (each pages is 8.5"x6"), with heavy brown nylon thread. I also sandblasted and redid the patina and did a pro-wax job. It is now a more consistent black with grey highlights. The inside cover has a really nice streaking effect as well.

How much would someone pay for one of these? The amount of time I spent on this would probably make it outside of most peoples' price range. I would like to try and sell some in the future.

I'm kinda thinking I may make my thesis based upon a large collections of books instead of what I had previously planned. I enjoy this too much.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Forbe, that is very cool. I think we should start a book binding business.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    K, after you make your book shelf, we start our food blog, move in together and be bff.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Perfect.

Let's not forget the whiskey cabinet!

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    man, forbe. that is boss as shit.

also, you made your own hammer. did you also carve/shape the handle? if so, that's tops also.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah brah, you gotta do it all. I carved the handle down from a commercial handle. I've made a few hammer handles on a lathe before.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I would easily pay $40 for that sketchbook. So easily. Or you know, less? I think it's great quality so you could charge a lot if you wanted. Its a rare item :D

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think you would probably have to pay like $200+

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    they say he carved that spoon from a bigger spoon

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    I think you would probably have to pay like $200+

At the very minimum. $40? Really? There are plain paper sketchbooks that cost more than that.

Anyways, cool crap, Forbuh.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Finished it and took good images for a scholarship I'm applying for.

Expect more of these.

11415035.jpg

22920000.jpg

37282703.jpg

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I know I'd certainly be willing to pony up a few hundred for such a sweet sketchbook. Would make for a pretty damn sweet coffee table book too. I don't think you'd be out of line charging like $250-$300 for one of them.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

The problem with pricing these items is that most of them took me a disproportional amount of time to make, and if I included the hours spent making the piece, they would be outrageously expensive (60 hours, and if I charge $10 an hour you can see how astronomical the price would be). Ideally, once I figure out the best method for creating the hinges and making the booklets, I could pound one of these out in 10-15 hours, working on multiple pieces at once. On top of this, the included paper itself would potentially be a large expense, especially if I go with archival cotton rag paper or other high quality papers. I don't know that much about papers, but I know a lot of them can be pricey.

Next on the schedule is a giant book. Probably large enough for one page to be 18" x 24" or 24" x 30", and around 6"-12" thick.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    These are incredible Forbe. If you can figure out how to produce these faster (like you've said above), I think you'd make some bank off them for sure, looks amazing.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I apologize for the $40 comment. I was clearly and vastly underestimating the quality of such a hand made artwork. I've rarely had fat wads of cash to spend on anything except my computer (which was only $900).
    I mean I've never owned a car. Blegh I'm starting to ramble now. Keep up the good work.

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I apologize for the $40 comment. I was clearly and vastly underestimating the quality of such a hand made artwork. I've rarely had fat wads of cash to spend on anything except my computer (which was only $900).
    I mean I've never owned a car. Blegh I'm starting to ramble now. Keep up the good work.

I don't think you need to worry about it buddy.

But yeah I would probably draw the line for myself somewhere around $150.

rts on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That is so beautiful!

DeeLock on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The problem is people just aren't going to understand all the work involved in hand forging all the elements of the book, but I definitely think as an art object, you certainly could price it in the $500+ range.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    cakemikz wrote: »

I don't think you need to worry about it buddy.

But yeah I would probably draw the line for myself somewhere around $150.

I'd say 150 too, Unless you implemented a way for me to switch out the paper, I cant imagine paying more for something that I'd essentially ruin with drawings haha. I've tried to buy "pretty" sketch books before, and I just end up not using them, oddly enough. But that's just me.

It certainly is an art object though. and a wonderful one at that. If you can stream line producing them, perhaps you could begin to sell them at a lower price.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sewing in new booklets isn't that hard.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png