As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cheap/Free Land?

RhinoRhino TheRhinLOLRegistered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Me and a few family members are looking to build a cabin in middle of "nowhere" and looking for some cheap and/or free land.

I found some in Texas, it's pretty isolated and it's cheap; but it's in Texas (we are from IL, WI and MN, so the drive would take awhile).

I heard that some states (or federal) used to give away land for free, do they still do that?

Any other places where we can get some cheap and isolated land ?

If possible, we're looking for a decent sized lot (5-50 arces) and something near/close to IL would be ideal.

Any ideas?

93mb4.jpg
Rhino on

• locomotivemanlocomotiveman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Federal lands under the Homestead Act have been gone since 1976 in the mainland and 1986 in Alaska.http://www.blm.gov/flpma/FLPMA.pdf Page 50. Perhaps MI or WI or MN may have state lands given in this manner but I don't know about it.

Edit: where was the land in Texas?

locomotiveman on
    aquabat wrote:
    I actually worked at work on Saturday. Also I went out on a date with a real life girl.

Can you like, permanently break the forums?
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Have you looked into Kentucky, in the smaller areas that aren't all that close to the big cities?

There are always old farms that just sorta get left for sale where I'm from, the children of the family usually sell the land, because they don't wanna be horse ranchers, or farmers.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Edit: where was the land in Texas?

Near El Paso:

texas-land-for-sale.com

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • CarolinaBBQCarolinaBBQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    Have you looked into Kentucky, in the smaller areas that aren't all that close to the big cities?

There are always old farms that just sorta get left for sale where I'm from, the children of the family usually sell the land, because they don't wanna be horse ranchers, or farmers.

Yeah, can I recommend Brownsville? That's waaaayyyy out in the middle of nowhere. They just got their first and still only stop light 5 years ago. Kiss the internet goodbye.

CarolinaBBQ on
    Scri33le.png
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Northern Minnesota. My dad leases 80 acres up in the middle of a swamp and paid something ridiculously low for it. There's a lot of land up there and not a whole lot of people.

Edit: Actually, I think he leases the land from a paper company that does their logging in that area. If that's the case, I think he pays about 1000 bucks a year for 40 acres. But there's probably a whole lot of open land for sale too.

YodaTuna on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'll second Minnesota. I just moved to Rochester and people all around here own acres for next to nothing. We're also the state with a thousand lakes or something so you could probably get land with areas to fish.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'll second Kentucky. You can find some very good deals there, and it's relatively close by for you.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Alabama has some of the cheapest property costs and tax in the country. There's a lot of paper company land you can get for cheap as well.

We were hunting on something like 2000 acres and paid roughly $2000 a year to lease the land.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I'll second Minnesota. I just moved to Rochester and people all around here own acres for next to nothing. We're also the state with a thousand lakes or something so you could probably get land with areas to fish.

10,000 lakes fool. Actually 15,000. Whatever.

YodaTuna on