As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

~Cruor Luna. Paz's jan-march dump(NSFW)~

pazshadowpazshadow Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys, thought I'd drop some of the shizz that ive been working on these last few months, enjoy!

I'll start off with Some stuff Ive been doing for school (they force me to actually paint!)

My Grandfather
portfoliopiece04.jpg

An excercise in multi-vanishing points.
portfoliopiece05.jpg

This piece is actually much more finished than this, but i had to hand er in for review, and its on a pretty big canvas, so its hell to photograph= Using complimentary colors in photo montage with narrative.. or some such...
portfoliopiece07.jpg

SKETCHES!!!!

Ive been playing around with my usual attempts at worldbuilding (ive made many, finished none!), this one is a steampunk, very wierd and complicated. So many of these creatures and dialogue are from the story.

Monster!

01.jpg

faces.

02.jpg

40k on the brain...plus dune. I love dune toooo much. (almost as much as Tolkien's myth cycles)

03.jpg

nudes.

04.jpg

friends of mine

05.jpg

hands

06.jpg

This... well these are thumbnails for random scene from story, now outdated, but i wanted to see if I could drum up these to match the visual i had in my head (i see the scenes like movies).

07.jpg
08.jpg

Armour design

09.jpg

monster design, shows up throughout story

10.jpg

And finally, faces!!!

11.jpg

enjoy, and, as always, I appreciate all crits and comments.

pazshadow on

• Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I love dune toooo much

impossiblé

also, does your friend Justin look like Alan Ruck in real life?

your work is real slick, some of your anatomical sketches are beautiful, and the shock trooper is looking good, would be nice to see some coloured n ting.

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm very envious of how effortless these sketches seem to have been drawn.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    pazshadowpazshadow Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    miso- thanx, yeag i'll have to get some finished stuff up soon.

magic- thanx dewd, yeah they'd have to be effortless, cause im lazy:P

pazshadow on
  • Options
    Big Luke NastyBig Luke Nasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I love the woman's face on the last page. It captures an amazingly simple happiness.

Big Luke Nasty on
    rawr
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Your sketches are very very good and yes, effortless.
    Much jealousy is aimed in your direction.

Mustang on
  • Options
    MotorivalMotorival Registered User new member
    edited March 2008
    Dune + Steampunk + WH0K = Schwing!

Also Shock-Trooper is awesome.

Motorival on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There's something so wonderfully inkable about your pencilwork, Paz. It makes me want to pull out my brush pen and ink. Your figures still suffer from stumpiness, but the lines you use to render them are so expressive that it almost (almost) doesn't matter. As a result, your abstracted demon monsters look amazing.

The paintings don't really excite me that much. They're pretty much not paintings at all; they're drawings. That's fine, if that's how you want to paint, but there are many qualities of acrylic (at least, I think it's acrylic!) and paint in general that you're not exploiting. If there's not a medium requirement, I'd suggest switching to gouache. You might find it's easier to draw with, and you'll get a lot better edges. I don't know if it's just the photos or what, but the colors are pretty unappealing and muddy. The colors are either too saturated, or too muddy (way too many colors mixed together, or colors that don't mix well). They really are well drawn, though.

I'd suggest doing some value studies in pencil, since you're familiar with it. It will improve your rendering skills with paint, too.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg