As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Space Invaders Extreme - One for Synesthesia/Rez/Pacman CE fans...

Lave IILave II Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
... aka Lunker.

I wrote a lovely write up about this over lunch, but I lost it, so screw you guys I'm not rewriting it. But no one else has brought it up, so I feel it's up to me to pimp this amazing little game.

In LISTO-VISION
  • I really hate Pac man.
  • I really love Pac man CE.
  • I consider it the first sequal to Pacman in fact.
  • I really like Rez
  • I really like synesthesia
  • Space invaders extreme is ALL OF THE ABOVE.
  • And I really dislike Space Invaders
  • It's chaotic.
  • It's fast. - big weapons, racing through ranks of invaders, ufo's = quickly starting special stages
  • It's clever - four invaders of the same colour = special weapon.
  • It's deep. - lots of depth to the points scoring.
  • It sounds good..
  • Playing well makes it sound Great.
  • It's coming out in the states in June. (DS/PSP)
  • Online ranking and versus matches.
  • It's already out in Japan and is incredibly import friendly. All menus and ingame text and voices is in English. The only Japanese text is the explanation of the menus on the top screen. But as they are labelled "arcade" and "stage select" and so on it isn't a problem. (Play-asia have it for ~£20)

Seriously, if you like Pacman CE. If you like Rez, if you like novel ideas, you have to try this.

WATCH THE TRAILER FOR THE LOVE OF YOUR GOD(S) WATCH THE TRAILER GO ON DO IT.

HIGH SCORE TABLES
[B]Ranking Mode Normal
[/B]Lunker 4,194,910
Lave 3,146,460

[B]Ranking Mode Extra
[/B]Lave 694,080

[B]Arcade Mode Normal
[/B]Lunker - 5,522,770
RainbowDespair - 4,424,940
Lave - 4,404,170
Cantido - 3,957,700

[B]Arcade Mode Extra
[/B]Lave 1,640,050

To get your score added - state the mode and bold your text. And I'll update the table when I remember.

Lave II on

• Options
    edited March 2008
    Here's a picture - but seeing it in motion is a lot more important.

space1190297225es9.jpg

Also: someone not very good playing it on youtube: HERE.

This has replaced Geometery Wars as my "most precious" shootemup on the DS.

Lave II on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I really want this, I love the aesthetic, but I'm worried it's going to get lost for me in all the other games I'm buying over the next few months (Smash, Mario Kart, GTA, Ninja Gaiden 2, Wii Fit). It's going to be $20 though, so I'll probably end up picking it up on a whim.

bruin on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Been on "The List" since I first saw it in action.

Sheep on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Demo can be downloaded here.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wowo, I can't believe I haven't heard about this. Looks like so much mindless fun :D I still have to pick up Geometry Wars for DS :[

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh but it goes beyond mindless. It's very deep as far as shooters go. I'm in love. But I suck a lot at it.

Lave II on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lave II wrote: »
    ... aka Lunker.

I see I'm now treading the thin line between fame and infamy. <3 I had heard a small amount of buzz about this some time ago (I guess around the Japan release), but had never seen it in action ... I tried out the PSP demo and oh, Daddy like. It's only the first level and boss fight, but it's got some of those extra bonus rounds and a lot of stuff happening that I had no idea what I was doing in. Did you import it, Lave? Do you know what the "drum/bass/chord/lead" stats on the DS version are all about? I'm intrigued.

I'm torn between the DS and PSP versions; the PSP version is likely going to have the better audio capability, but the DS version has the larger vertical space to work with on some of those bonus rounds and the boss fight I saw.

And this is $20 in the West confirmed? Definitely picking it up. Trancey, multilayered updates of old arcade classics could be a burgeoning trend, and one I'm totally willing to buy into.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Every retailer I've checked has both versions at $19.99, yeah

edit - Also Amazon has the soundtrack ("Audio Cluster") available for preorder. At $43 though. D:

bruin on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    ... aka Lunker.

I see I'm now treading the thin line between fame and infamy. <3 I had heard a small amount of buzz about this some time ago (I guess around the Japan release), but had never seen it in action ... I tried out the PSP demo and oh, Daddy like. It's only the first level and boss fight, but it's got some of those extra bonus rounds and a lot of stuff happening that I had no idea what I was doing in. Did you import it, Lave? Do you know what the "drum/bass/chord/lead" stats on the DS version are all about? I'm intrigued.

I'm torn between the DS and PSP versions; the PSP version is likely going to have the better audio capability, but the DS version has the larger vertical space to work with on some of those bonus rounds and the boss fight I saw.

And this is $20 in the West confirmed? Definitely picking it up. Trancey, multilayered updates of old arcade classics could be a burgeoning trend, and one I'm totally willing to buy into.

I basically made the thread as I felt you should play it. That and as thanks for you recommending Pacman CE. Which I adore (though have had little chance to play).

Imported the DS version. Talking with someone who has had chance to play both (though maybe only the demo of the PSP version), who generally has a very good opinion of these things told me that the DS version won out because of the 2 screens being much better suited to the gameplay than the widescreen PSP. I've not played both myself though.

As for the "drum/bass/chord/lead" I'm still working stuff out.

What I have worked out:
    • Shooting an Invader (which I will shorten to Inv) adds one to your chain, you have about 3 secs before your chain runs out and resets. Not sure what it gets you.
    • Shooting 4 Inv of the same color gives you that color special weapon.
    • Shooting a UFO gives you either 'big points,' 'bonus roulette' or if the UFO was flashing a 'special stage'
    • Completing a special stage gives you "Fever Time" where it goes nuts.
    • The boxs on the screen I think are like pinball achievements. Take down a column without hitting anything else and get a 'column' box to light up. A row for a 'row' box and so on. Light them all up and I assume somehting happens but I haven't managed it. Never miss and get a 'perfect takedown' and so on.

I'm not actually very good at the game, but I love it.

Lave II on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My favorite part about this game is that the PSP version is a shitty port of the DS version. Even sounds worse.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    /sold

LewieP on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You bastard! You made me go and import it, and I'm trying to save up for a Cintiq. What have you done?
    I love you.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Glad to help!

I can't beat level 4 for all my trying (aka my commute)

But before bed I played ranking mode, and it appears I'm the 280th best at SIE in the world.

Which makes me think it's not doing well, over me being good. But maybe not.

I also discovered, you can put a hold on you power up with 'L' and go back to the normal gun. Which is useful for the blue laser proof aliens.

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I love this game so hard.

I am stuck on the level 5 boss.

LewieP on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, level 5 boss is a bitch. Stuck there too.

Djiem on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This looks awesome. Despite the name of the game making me want to hate it like all other things 'Extreme', I just can't. The concept is just too awesome and I'll have to get this when it releases here.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How do you hate Pac-Man?

Anyway. I will have this.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    bruin wrote: »
    Every retailer I've checked has both versions at $19.99, yeah

edit - Also Amazon has the soundtrack ("Audio Cluster") available for preorder. At $43 though. D:

$25 on Play-Asia.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    How do you hate Pac-Man?
    This is gonna take a bit of explaining... it's really boring.

Well, not that much explaining I guess.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    How do you hate Pac-Man?
    This is gonna take a bit of explaining... it's really boring.

Well, not that much explaining I guess.

Pac-Man is tedious creates no desire in me to play it whatsoever. None.

Pac-Man Championship Edition creates hyperactive joy and a burning desire to top my own score.

It's all down to their being a time limit really.

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

How the fuck did you beat the Level 4 boss? If it was a pokemon it's attacks against me would be super effective. The stupid firing back they do gets me every time.

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

How the fuck did you beat the Level 4 boss? If it was a pokemon it's attacks against me would be super effective. The stupid firing back they do gets me every time.

I'm just that good
    It took me 6 or 7 attempts, I just stay a little bit ahead of the boss, spam firing, and dodge any shots coming towards me.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Hang on. I'm confused. My forth level boss has me above the (green) boss fighting green space invaders that return fire is shot at. And they have shields.

Is that the boss you are talking about? I cant even deal with the Invaders!

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Spoilered incase anyone wants to work it out themselves.
    Forget the invaders, you are using them as a mirror to attack the boss.

You shoot up at them, and your shots reflect off their shields, and hit the boss. You just have to be moving when you are shooting or the reflected shot will hit you. All you have to do is kill the boss on the bottom screen.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Are they releasing Arkanoid DS stateside?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    MOTHER FUCKING FUCKING HELL.

I AM EMBARRASSED.
    That is brilliant, and I feel stupid, I figured I had to snipe them when they opened their shields until they ran out when I would then be able to face the boss. No wonder they were refreshing as quickly as I could kill them. Facepalm, faceplam, facepalm.

Cheers man! :^:

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

No idea. I do know that the Arkanoid controller works with SIE though.

I wonder whats happening to that game where you 'roll' the ds around a table to control a caterpillar. I wouldn't mind importing that.

Lave II on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    :!!:
    I need this. I need it now.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I did wonder why you where having so much trouble with it. Even when you know the technique it is pretty hard, but you would be there forever just doing what you were doing.

The next boss is even harder.

LewieP on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wow the DS is getting some amazing shooters,

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-cl-49-en-70-2l45.html

look whats just come out :shock:

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I got to play the N64 version once, I think I'll be getting the DS version too.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I want that so hard.

But I might wait for an English version...

Lave II on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I am interested.
    Though there are far too many DS games I need to get.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I did wonder why you where having so much trouble with it. Even when you know the technique it is pretty hard, but you would be there forever just doing what you were doing.

The next boss is even harder.

Not if you've been practising like a pillock avoiding the reflections on level 4 for a lifetime. Just beat the level 5 boss on my first go. Hints:
    I didn't pay any attention to the boss. Just fired like mad whilst dodging everything

This is 5A though, got to work out how to get to the the other outrun style levels now. Let me know if you figure it out. I think you get a choice in ranking mode. So maybe you've got to unlock them all there...

Lave II on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wise fwom youw gwave!

This game comes out in a month!

It's going to be 19.99$ on both the DS and PSP!

It will be another great addition to a library of musical games!
    buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

what WHAT?!?!

Thats so bought hard.

*Edit*
    Glal wrote: »
    :!!:
    I need this. I need it now.

My sentiments exactly Glal. I knew you are awesome like that.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-49-en-70-2b0h.html

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

what WHAT?!?!

Thats so bought hard.

Yeah, I got it with the paddle controller a month or so ago when they had a sale.

Most of the options are in Japanese but if you know even a little it's easy enough to navigate, and the rest can be figured out intuitively.

There are, I don't know, several hundred levels you can play, and you earn points when you play that can be spent to unlock new BGM, backgrounds, boarders, block styles, etc. which means you can basically make all the levels look totally unique to your tastes.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

what WHAT?!?!

Thats so bought hard.

Yeah, I got it with the paddle controller a month or so ago when they had a sale.

Most of the options are in Japanese but if you know even a little it's easy enough to navigate, and the rest can be figured out intuitively.

There are, I don't know, several hundred levels you can play, and you earn points when you play that can be spent to unlock new BGM, backgrounds, boarders, block styles, etc. which means you can basically make all the levels look totally unique to your tastes.

Dammit, you should of said something sooner! like PADDLE SALE ON WIN/AWESOME GAME!
    eh, its fine though. I know what I will be spending some of my $$ on now.

I'll likely pick both of these up at the same time and see if I can reduce the shipping cost.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well, SIE comes out for $20 in June stateside, so it's probably better if you just get it domestically. Arkanoid DS probably is not going to get brought over, so go ahead and order it whenever.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I bought this game earlier today.

I love Pac-Man: Championship Edition. I love Rez & Lumines. I even moderately enjoy the original Space Invaders. Needless to say, I've found a new love. It looks good, it sounds fantastic when you're on a roll, it's fast paced and it's deep. It's the first game in a long time that's had me glued to the DS when I'm at home and have had access to my other more powerful consoles.

A version of this game with high definition visuals & surround sound needs to be ported to XBLA like yesterday.

RainbowDespair on