As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Composite to S-video?

NohmanNohman Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently got hold of a a fairly huge plasma TV, but its an old model, so only has S-video or VGA inputs. I'm trying to run my Nintendo Wii into it, so I need a way to convert a composite signal to S-video.

Is it a simple adapter I will need, or an actual signal converter?

Also, while I know there are S-video cables available for the Wii, the PAL versions have the s-video output option missing entirely, so they're no good to me.

Thanks.

Nohman on

• Options
    whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Just need a cable with an RCA lead on one end and an S-video lead on the other. Like this.

You can also buy standalone converters that let you use your own RCA or S-Video cables, like this.

(That last site distinguishes between converting from composite to S-video vs. doing the opposite, but in my experience, a converter cable looks pretty much the same in either case.)

EDIT: I don't own a Wii, but I just looked up the specs and it apparently supports component out in addition to composite out.

You know that composite video has far worse signal quality than component video, right? And VGA input will typically give you a better signal than S-video. So why not look into a component-to-VGA cable, like this?

whuppins on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You could try getting a third party VGA cable for the Wii.

http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=2&category_id=3&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

That's the one I've seen, and I've heard mixed reviews, but it should end up giving you a better picture than the composite cables.

Daenris on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You absolutely do not want to output the composite signal to a "fairly huge plasma TV." It will rape your eyeballs. Converting to an S-Video connector won't improve it, and if anything will just degrade it further. Even proper S-Video looks like garbage when output onto such sets. Definitely look into some kind of component->VGA adapter.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    NohmanNohman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thanks, I think that Component to VGA cable is exactly what I want, I knew component was far better than composite, but I never thought to look see if there was anything for the component output.

Nohman on
  • Options
    whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The moral of the story is that there is most likely a converter/cable out there that can bridge any two formats you may run into. I'd recommend Monoprice as a starting point for cheap, no-hassle AV cable shopping.

whuppins on