As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Co-op over live games

mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
I am lucky enough to have a GF that has a 360 and a live account. (She got it for Burnout and worms mainly.) We are 3 hrs apart so we want to use a coop game over this as one of the things we do together during the week.

She is not a FPS player. She is not quiete up to games that are super complicated (ie "too many damn buttons") Something semi casual is most likely the best.

Any suggestions with those restrictions? Any thing like baulders gate/diablo out there?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
mojojoeo on

• Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, I expected more co-op games that weren't kill fests to be honest, but I've not found too many so far.

N+ has a bunch of brilliant co-op specific levels, and you can play the ordinary levels co-op too.

That and it's great.

Lave II on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    I am lucky enough to have a GF that has a 360 and a live account. (She got it for Burnout and worms mainly.) We are 3 hrs apart so we want to use a coop game over this as one of the things we do together during the week.

She is not a FPS player. She is not quiete up to games that are super complicated (ie "too many damn buttons") Something semi casual is most likely the best.

Any suggestions with those restrictions? Any thing like baulders gate/diablo out there?

Bomberman Live, stat. IIRC you can bring local players online with you as well, so you and some friends plus her and some friends can all frag each other till the cows come home. I also thought of UNO right away and some of the board game-games like Carcassone, since they're low impact and you just kind of have something to do while you chat. The new Lego Star Wars game is also right up your alley.

There is a Diablo-esque game out, but I completely forget the title.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    N+. It's 800 points on the marketplace, is one of those 'minute to learn, lifetime to master' type games, and has both co-op and competitive Live and local play.

Crackdown might also fit the bill, but might not fit the 'not too complex' stipulation. There's a demo on Live that you can both grab, however.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    stranger678stranger678 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Arkadian Warriors.

It's Diabloesque

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Arkadian Warriors.

It's Diabloesque

Yeah but is it any good? the demo left me wanting.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    stranger678stranger678 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've killed time with it. It's nothing special, but if you have a GF who wants to keep it simple, not too many buttons. I think it's a decent choice.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • Options
    wakeboarderbluntwakeboarderblunt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    EDF2017 or the Lego Star Wars games? or the upcoming Indiana Jones and batman variants. Simple, fun ,and online Co-Op.

wakeboarderblunt on
    stripessig.jpg
    WBblunt.gif
  • Options
    senor_xsenor_x Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lego Indiana Jones and batman online Co-Op
    Indy won't have online co-op, but Batman is supposed to.

senor_x on
    Senor10.gif Wii 1490 9129 8407 5923
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    EDF2017 or the Lego Star Wars games? or the upcoming Indiana Jones and batman variants. Simple, fun ,and online Co-Op.

EDF is local co-op online, no online. Which is a shame, but it's still an excellent game.

Kingdom of Fire: Circle of Doom is the Diablo-esque game I was thinking about. It hasn't lit the gaming world on fire or anything but you can check out the demo to see if it's something the two of you might be interested in. And you mentioned Burnout in the OP: Do you mean Revenge or Paradise? If you haven't tried Paradise the two of you can jump in on that for co-op, though it's mostly dicking around the city and doing challenges.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't know about the other Lego Star Wars games, but Lego Star Wars 2 is local co-op only as well.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Kingdom of Fire: Circle of Doom is the Diablo-esque game I was thinking about. It hasn't lit the gaming world on fire or anything but you can check out the demo to see if it's something the two of you might be interested in. And you mentioned Burnout in the OP: Do you mean Revenge or Paradise? If you haven't tried Paradise the two of you can jump in on that for co-op, though it's mostly dicking around the city and doing challenges.

She has revenge.

there is a city in paradise?

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh, wow, I assumed you already had it. Both of you should get Burnout Paradise immediately.

It's a free-roaming city, where every junction is an event. Transitioning form single-player to multi is absolutely seamless and the challenges are ridiculously addictive. It really is an excellent game.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    mojojoeo wrote: »

She has revenge.

there is a city in paradise?

Oh yeah -- the hook for Paradise is that the entire game takes place in one giant open world, Paradise City, and you can just jump in with up to eight people and just troll around the city together, doing challenges like races, stunt-runs, etc., or just freeburning around the city and crashing into things. Personally, I like Revenge better, but it's a very cool co-op experience to scream around the city with friends in Paradise. You can join together in the Paradise demo, though the demo is much more limited compared to the actual game.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The demo has no online any more - they took the servers offline.

Willeth on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've been a huge fan Tiger Woods games and I don't even like golf. . . so you could try that, just swing some golf while you do the whole chat thing. . .

Test Drive: Unlimited is similar to Burnout Paradise in its catch, though it is less about the blowin stuff up and more about the test driving cars, and doing all things car related that are unrelated to killing other drivers by smashing them into oncoming traffic.

You could get Marvel Ultimate Alliance, it plays exactly like baldur's gate and I think its got online co-op.

I also recommend Carcassonne from XBLA.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Look at the arcade stuff

Arkadian Warriors was mentioned... other stuff like Streets of Rage, TMNT, Golden Axe, etc etc

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I know you've said she's not a FPS player, but you might want to check out Army of Two. I mean, technically it's a 3rd person shooter, but the two genres aren't exactly a world apart in gameplay.

The buttons aren't too complex. Left analog moves, right looks/aims, left trigger goes to precision mode with a gun/grenade, and right trigger fires. Holding the left bumper and pushing a direction on the d-pad is as complex as it gets (and that's selecting which weapon you want).

But the reason I suggest it is that the co-op is really good, the game's got a shallow learning curve and has some really good gameplay in co-op mode over Live. On recruit (easy) it's a pretty simple run-and-gun style game that makes you use cover in intense firefights, and on the harder modes, the teamwork aspects become more and more important.

I also recommend it because my girlfriend - who is a gamer by no stretch of the imagination - had a grasp of it and enjoyed it by the end of the first mission when we played splitscreen.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    UFOffUFOff Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Get Crackdown, here's why:

Reenact the those pleasant outings mountain climbing by scaling the skyscrapers and feeling the sense of accomplishment when you get to the top. When you start arguing about who gets the last Starburst, kick her off.

Reenact those pleasant Sunday drives. When you start arguing about radio stations, floor it towards the nearest cliff and jump out the door.

Have fun, kids.

UFOff on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...yeah
  • Options
    elizabexelizabex Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Rock Band! :)

elizabex on
    elizabex.png
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Crackdown,

Star Wars LEGO : The Complete Saga (The entire thing is co-op and fantastic fun, humorous, and surprisingly varied too)

and Guitar Hero 3 are all great, as has been mentioned.

I liked Kameo too, and it can be found for bargain bucket prices now.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg