As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thinking outside of the box about gay rights issues

KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm doing a research project for my info gathering class (it's as lame as it sounds) about gay marriage, rights, or same-sex adoption. It gets more specific than that, but that's not really the issue.

The problem is that I need to find two for profit/businesses that are related to the issue, and every single one I can find it a non profit organization, which I only need two of.

As an aside, whenever I look at organization profiles it usually refers to them as "foundation." For instance, the Human Rights campaign. When it mentions that it is non profit it as the "Human Rights Campaign Foundation is a non profit organization." Is the "foundation" just there to complete the formal name (maybe it's what's used for non profits?), or is it a separate entity?

Anyway, I'm not looking for you guys to find me organizations--that would just be lazy. Just for ideas of types things I could look into. I plan on asking my professor the same thing, but he's slow to e-mail and class isn't till Wednesday.

!! ! ! !!
Kealoha on

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Have you looked at media sources? Ones like http://www.advocate.com/ which is a for profit magazine?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Would it be okay to use businesses that cater to a gay clientelle? I know my town has a for profit gay bar/drag show place that is also involved in gay rights (they hold benefits and stuff).

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Stuff like the Advocate is what I was completely forgetting about--and I'm using several articles from that magazine as sources. So yeah, that kind of thing.

And if that bar/whatever is reputable seeming, and has done anything worth note, that would be a very interesting thing to use, as it highlights a completely different type of activism.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • Options
    FrogFrog Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What about Disney? They have somewhat official gay days and are very good at making money. I also believe that Absolute Vodka bought the first 50 back page advertising for a gay magazine, maybe it was the Advocate or even Out. Been a while since I picked either up to look.

Frog on
    EdwardEyesSig.jpg
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gay Days are quite official, I do beleive Disney even allows gays to purchase their marriage package.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I was not sure if they made it official yet. I know a decade ago they allowed gay days to take place at their parks but did not actually endorse it officially. I really hope I can make it to Florida this year for the grand event, but that is contingent upon my friend moving down there and being willing to pay for everything.

Frog on
    EdwardEyesSig.jpg
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yea, it's always a big to do. Downtown Disney is nuts.
    You know, what with all the nuts on display because some guys wear bike shorts out.

But yea, very official. There are even billboards advertising it.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    why dn't you find a large corporation that supports partner benefits?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    TheungryTheungry Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What about Logo, the MTV channel dedicated to GLBT culture?

Theungry on
    Unfortunately, western cultures frown upon arranged marriages, so the vast majority of people have to take risks in order to get into relationships.
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, I thought there was a TV station or two dedicated to 'GLBT' culture. Those are going to be for profit.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There are loads of clubs here that are aimed at the GLBT scene. I'd imagine it's the same anywhere, with varying degrees of transparency.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought there was a TV station or two dedicated to 'GLBT' culture. Those are going to be for profit.

Logo TV... good call.

Frog on
    EdwardEyesSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, I think I'm doing The Advocate and Logo. Logo is actually offered on the university's cable network, so that's a plus.

I researched gay days and I'm fairly sure it's not run by Disney, but it takes place there. And apparently it does not do very much to further the gay rights cause, either, though that's not to say I'm trying to only cite things that do. It's just kind of "meh."

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Frog wrote: »
    Forbe! wrote: »

Logo TV... good call.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic...but anyways.

There is also here!

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I am not being sarcastic, I just overlooked television stations since I hardly get a chance to watch them. Hence the "good call."

Frog on
    EdwardEyesSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just read an article on Autoblog this morning about automakers extending benefits to same-sex partners. I don't know if that's the kind of issue you're looking for, but there's a topic right there.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This company came up during my marketing seminars this year.

This time article on 'gay marketing' may be of some use.

LewieP on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Related to Frog's mention of Absolut - there are other companies that have featured same-sex couples in their advertising. I can think of Ikea as an example.

Note also that what a brand does in a mainstream "straight" publication vs. a gay centric publication are often two very different things. You'd be surprised at the companies that put out gay targeted ads if you looked into the right lifestyle magazines.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on