As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DS roguelike] You have failed me PA. (SHIREN THE WANDERER)

• MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    l_g wrote: »
    *epic poem of extreme greatness*

fuck, you convinced me. i was already leaning towards buying this soon but now im going tomorrow.

you bastards hate my wallet!

I too have been convinced, I'll probably pick this up soon if I have the funds.

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If by some bizarre occurrence Shiren 3 ends up on the Wii here in America, I will buy it instantanaelamente. That's a word I made up that means "more than instantly".

I remember seeing that trailer, but I never knew it was a roguelike. Every once in a while Japan still surprises me.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    solsovly wrote: »
    MORE difficult than most roguelikes? I hope the random deaths are as entertaining as they are in nethack.

Pfft, Nethack has nothing on IVAN. I had both of my arms torn off, then my legs, then my head and I wondered around for a couple of minutes before I either died of blood loss or something ate me, I can't recall.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    OK, I don't think I have the time to make this into an awesome op but I've started a list of codes and if someone posts a few pics I'll add them. Or is someone who knows the game wants to start another thread I'd be cool with that as well.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    MORE difficult than most roguelikes? I hope the random deaths are as entertaining as they are in nethack.

Pfft, Nethack has nothing on IVAN. I had both of my arms torn off, then my legs, then my head and I wondered around for a couple of minutes before I either died of blood loss or something ate me, I can't recall.

Nice.

Tamin on
  • JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    IVAN characters are all that are men.

Junpei on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

I have to assume that that business about this game being more difficult than most Roguelikes is crazy talk. I don't think I've ever beaten a Roguelike without save-cheating. More difficult than average would mean that the majority of characters never even level up before snuffing it.

Orogogus on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    And my first death in Shiren came at the hands of a Death Reaper fittingly enough in the Old Mine. On my 4th or so attempt to explore the mine after running from all the damned Spike Bombs that almost killed me my first time fighting them, where I survived the explosion with 1hp...

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I ordered it off Play-Asia, so hopefully I'll get it some time next week :)

Rizzi on
  • Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Just got the game yesterday afternoon and have been enjoying it immensely so far. I've never really played any roguelikes before Shiren and man is Shiren full of WIN! As punishing is Shiren's perma-death system is, I love it. Nothing more is accelerating then the fear of loosing your level progress and buffed up items. Honestly the last time I had this much fun was trying to achieve the survivor title in Lord of the Rings Online, the perma-death just adds a ton to the enjoyment of the game (and not having to redo small story segments in Shiren is a big plus)..

I'll try and work on a something with a short FAQ so that lowlylowlycook can slap on the 1st post. Hopefully others whom are more familiar with Shiren are able to help too...

Hopefully more people here will pick this up, I can't wait for the rescue request to ramp up :lol:

Rescue your fellow Wanderers!

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Deswa wrote: »
    I could totally use a rescue right now, anyone up for it?

3351-3825-1572

hey, when you guys request a rescue, please leave what level you died on and the circumstances that lead to your death (e.g. monster house, super-mamel)

edit: oh, and post a rescue code instead of a friend code, so anyone can take a crack at rescuing you, not just your friends.

inthegray on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Powder has one of the most interesting control schemes I've ever seen - and it works perfectly for a roguelike on a non-computer platform.

Tamin on
  • A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Picked Shiren up today.

.....Along with Brawl.....

I will no longer have free time.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    inthegray wrote: »

3351-3825-1572

hey, when you guys request a rescue, please leave what level you died on and the circumstances that lead to your death (e.g. monster house, super-mamel)

edit: oh, and post a rescue code instead of a friend code, so anyone can take a crack at rescuing you, not just your friends.
    Right, don't be an idiot like me. I left the friend code for friend code purposes though. No longer needing the rescue now.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
    edited March 2008
    Mastersword + 1 (9) and a Armor Ward (9) all before hitting the first town, nothing can touch me.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    inthegray wrote: »

3351-3825-1572

Right, don't be an idiot like me. I left the friend code for friend code purposes though. No longer needing the rescue now.

Yeah, actually I was the one who rescued you. Found your request on the wifi list, and also sent ya a polearm I had lying around. Seems all the rescues I do involve monster houses. Your rescue wasn't as tough, since I just had to use a scroll of sleep. But the first one, I had to pull every trick out of the bag for that one.

At least I got an armband and mastersword for my troubles.

Musan on
    edited March 2008
    I don't recall mine being in a monster house, but thanks.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    They talked about Shiren in the latest retronauts podcast.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So far I've been a dot killing other dots. Why am I a dot? I could have sworn we were past dots by now.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think I should also add my friend code to the pile: 2578-2734-2707.

I'm also awaiting a rescue, WFC code 0000-0000-0560. I'm on the lower levels of Table Mountain, if you can help a guy out.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I feel retarded, but two evil spirits make a very mean little dragon. Don't want to lose my mastersword and good shield.

Password only, as my DS isn't connecting to the wifi for some reason.

KB3DW 5!QJ 88QC0
    M6VTP 3NSW NF219
    8VBRJ BGQ6 1V98K
    J7Z48 XG85 QW710

PS: It's very early in. I think it's the second floor after evil soldiers are first introduced. Before the village with the Jar crafter, at the very least.

Pjstelford on
  • MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I purchased this game, and i am enjoying immensely... however.

How do i throw money? this stupid fey's puzzle says i should throw money... but it doesn't say HOW and i have tried all the damned buttons..

In any case, im having a blast trying to figure the areas out and escaping the evil ones.

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mighty wrote: »
    How do i throw money? this stupid fey's puzzle says i should throw money... but it doesn't say HOW and i have tried all the damned buttons..
    That one pissed me off so much.
    Hold B and move onto the money. Then press X, choose "Underfoot", and then "Throw". Don't forget to face the correct direction first.

Billmaan on
    edited March 2008
    Billmaan wrote: »
    Hold B and move onto the money. Then press X, choose "Underfoot", and then "Throw". Don't forget to face the correct direction first.
    I see... well.. its true about the game being cold hearted then...

Mighty on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Billmaan wrote: »
    I see... well.. its true about the game being cold hearted then...
    Well, it does take a little luck to learn about it in game. I met an NPC that told me how to
    move on top of items without picking them up (hold B)
    , and that's when you apply that knowledge to Fey's puzzle.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited March 2008
    Argh, just died on the 5th floor to a Rice Boss, stupid evil spirits. Would like to get a resuce so I can keep my Katana +5. Rescue number is 0000-0000-1430

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited March 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Argh, just died on the 5th floor to a Rice Boss, stupid evil spirits. Would like to get a resuce so I can keep my Katana +5. Rescue number is 0000-0000-1430
    Done.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    edited March 2008
    Pjstelford wrote: »
    I feel retarded, but two evil spirits make a very mean little dragon. Don't want to lose my mastersword and good shield.

KB3DW 5!QJ 88QC0
    M6VTP 3NSW NF219
    8VBRJ BGQ6 1V98K
    J7Z48 XG85 QW710

PS: It's very early in. I think it's the second floor after evil soldiers are first introduced. Before the village with the Jar crafter, at the very least.
    Done.
    BMQ!8 3PBK PJX3F
    918LS 41YN C9P5M
    NFP0Q VSCH 5KYCQ
    VTD9W 5DLF 532B0

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Pjstelford wrote: »

KB3DW 5!QJ 88QC0
    M6VTP 3NSW NF219
    8VBRJ BGQ6 1V98K
    J7Z48 XG85 QW710

Done already, password is

P82QJ DQ8R QJ27M
    ZGZG7 WWVR CTF!5
    2NDQ7 YFS! CJWPG
    V8BVP 8F3X VWLC0

edit: Gonna need a rescue. Floor 9. Monster house. Code is 0000-0000-1445.

Musan on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Does this have the Dwarf Fortress level of depth to injuries?

I just want that games adventure mode on DS

The Black Hunter on
    edited March 2008
    And just ran into my first Monster House, now I see why they get a bad reputation...Ouch. Could use a rescue again... 0000-0000-1449

Thanks for rescuing me earlier Deswa, unfortunately I had nothing in my warehouse yet to thank you with. I wish the warehouse and storage centers were connected, as not having a way back to the 1st town to drop things in the warehouse, I'm finding it kinda useless.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hey guys, I could use a rescue too. I got a Monster House, first one, rescue code 0000-0000-1464. There's a crapload of items in there, and some REALLY weak monsters. Curse girls and Tiger Uhos, really nothing I couldn't handle until I got hit with a Spike Bomb explosion.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
    edited March 2008
    And just ran into my first Monster House, now I see why they get a bad reputation...Ouch. Could use a rescue again... 0000-0000-1449

Thanks for rescuing me earlier Deswa, unfortunately I had nothing in my warehouse yet to thank you with. I wish the warehouse and storage centers were connected, as not having a way back to the 1st town to drop things in the warehouse, I'm finding it kinda useless.
    I actually love getting in monster houses. I have yet to die in one, woo. Also, I dont mind the lack of item. I got an awesome shield, armband, and a mastersword out of it.

On my way Varega.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I <3 you Deswa

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
    edited March 2008
    You too? fucker made me into a riceball and ate me

P.s. i think i just found something very interesting.

If you do feys puzzles, you get random crap right?

But if you talk to bartender after each one? another riceball!

Mighty on
    edited March 2008
    Varega wrote: »
    I <3 you Deswa
    Done. So many nice things near your corpse. Only took 2 confusion scrolls to take them all out lol.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    P.s. i think i just found something very interesting.

If you do feys puzzles, you get random crap right?

But if you talk to bartender after each one? another riceball!

yup, this is a great way to stock up your warehouse full of stuff for your next adventures

inthegray on
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Speaking of the puzzles, when I beat them all, Fay said something like "oh, I guess I'll have to build some harder puzzles". Does he ever actually do that? It's been a while since then, and he still just has the same 50 puzzles.

Billmaan on
  • HibikiHibiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    thought I'd post this since no one has yet....

Japanese cover
    fushigi_qjpreviewth.jpg

NA cover
    ds_mysterydungeonshiren.jpg

wtf....

Hibiki on
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Look at how angry those eyes are. It appeals to my love of shonen.

Atlus Parker on